Luftwaffe paint. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Next week I have a tiny open space for time to go to the hobby shop, was curious what paints are used for a Stuka and a Do-217? (Bought both today for 7 dollars with shipping, +1 for Harrison!)

Colors for a bird like so. (Stuka won't have cannons, just there to see what color...)

Attachments

• Painting stuka.jpg
    Painting stuka.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 234
  • painting_Do-217.jpg
    painting_Do-217.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 266
According to the Monogram guide (page 105), the standard factory camo for the Do217 E-1 thru E-3, E-4 and E-5 was RLM 72/73 over 65. The K and M series also used the same camo pattern. This was primarily a maritime scheme so the 70/71 scheme was also employed.

The Do-17 and Ju 87-A used a pre-war scheme of RLM 61/62/63 over 65.

Starting with the B version, the Ju-87 used a RLM 70/71 over 65 scheme for most European theatres with a RLM 79/80 over 78 scheme for the Mediterranean.

Last edited:
USE MODEL MASTER ENAMELS HARRISON!!!!!!

They come pre-mixed and are labeled as RLM70/71/65...

Harrison

Like Les said, Model Masters has a large selection of RLM colors. I use them and also the Poly Scale which also has the RLM line of colors.

That is your second JU 87 isn't it? I know you said yours didn't have the cannons but damn if it don't look hot as hell with them.

Thanks Dave! I"ll look out for it!

Dirk, yes I got a second Ju-87 and Do-217 in a lot on Ebay for 7 dollars (with shipping) both complete kits.

And I will look to see if the shop has Model Masters, if not I'll just get whatever they have.

Yes, most of the time that's what happens, but right now I am in need of more sandpaper and I'd rather just go to the shop and buy it. Next Saturday is the day!

For airbrush use acylic paint!,enamels for brush

I think the best rlm paints are.... gunze sangyo hobby color.
piet

H, there is a pretty good book out there called "Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings 1933-1945" and it's a pretty god source of info.

If you mean the Merrick ones they are excellent. There are two volumes. The first is out of print and will cost you a fortune if you can find one. The second one is more readily available and you get a nice chart of colours matched to RLM paint chips!
There are other decent books out there (Michael Ullmann springs to mind).
Unless,B-17 Engineer, you are going to get seriously into Luftwaffe modelling why not just ask here? From the correct answers above there are obviously people, like me, who are already hooked. Of course there are more contentious areas where people may agree to disagree but it's all part of the fun,as long as we all play nicely.
Maybe we will convert you!
Cheers
Steve

For airbrush use acylic paint!,enamels for brush

I think the best rlm paints are.... gunze sangyo hobby color.
piet

The only problem with Gunze Sanyo paints is that they are darn near impossible to get in the USA. (If anyone knows a good mail order supplier for the GS Acrylics please let me know. Sprue Brothers stock is limited at best.)

I use Polly Scale, Model Master Acryl, Vallejo and LifeColor (exclusively for Italian planes).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back