Majuro Atoll aerial photo - aircraft present

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I zoomed in as well in Photoshop but I'd say with your zooms, my initial thoughts were correct. The upper aircraft is a Corsair, and the lower being Dauntless.
I cheat. :thumbleft:

Photoshop (paintshop, CS, etc.) just doesn't give nearly as much clarity as an ipad with it's hi-res display. I simply zoom in on the photo, grab a screenshot and convert from PNG to JPG and resize from 2048x1536 to 720x473.

Last edited:
Was thinking that myself Schnautzer, looks like it's a guarded area though for some reason.

Andy, yep, reckon you're right: not overly familiar with the Hellcat wing fold, but a Corsair's wings would indeed fold straight up.

Agree with the upper Dauntless too, but not entirely sure about the aircraft above it. If it's a Corsair, it's elevators must be completely lowered.

Was thinking that myself Schnautzer, looks like it's a guarded area though for some reason.

Andy, yep, reckon you're right: not overly familiar with the Hellcat wing fold, but a Corsair's wings would indeed fold straight up.

Agree with the upper Dauntless too, but not entirely sure about the aircraft above it. If it's a Corsair, it's elevators must be completely lowered.

Could be. Still bugging me!

Would not the perforations in the SBD dive brakes show up as an off color or a pattern?
It's difficult in many photos to see the dive-brakes on the SBD when they're retracted.

Here's a good example: SBDs aboard CVL-22

First, a little history behind the photo.
USS Independence (CVL-22) in San Francisco Bay, 15 July 1943. There are nine SBD Dauntlesses parked amidships and aft with nine TBMs (wings folded) parked amidships and forward.

CVL-22 _San-Francisco-Bay_15July43.jpg

Now a closeup to try and see the divebrakes on the SBD. It's really hard to spot them...dunno if any of you guys can, but I wasn't able to make them out- except in the cluster of four, at the very bottom of the photo. The SBD top-left of the group and the SBD in the very bottom-right of the group...sorta.

CVL-22_San-Francisco-Bay_15July43_detail[720x473].jpg

Last edited:
Me too Andy... sorta looks like a Corsair, but with the elevators, and possibly tail, removed... starboard wing looks a little too tapered too, but that could just be the way the light is reflecting off the leading edge.

(Clashed with Dave... good shot, indeed hard to make out the perforations!)

Me too Andy... sorta looks like a Corsair, but with the elevators, and possibly tail, removed... starboard wing looks a little too tapered too, but that could just be the way the light is reflecting off the leading edge.

(Clashed with Dave... good shot, indeed hard to make out the perforations!)

You've been confusing Andy and I Evan. ;)

I'd definitely agree that the elevators are missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back