Marines Pose with Nazi SS Flag?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every nation has commited genocide in one form or another , the US in 1870's were not exactly benefactors of North American Indians , diito for Canada

We're all off topic here and basically just discussing the meaning of words: concentration camp - re-education camp - re-location camp - Disney world. euphamism one and all
Arbeit macht Frei and the "shower" building call it what you will the end result is the same. War means kill the enemy and it is much easier if the enemy is sub-human.

I wasn't going to post anymore but it is important to differentiate between the several hundred concentration camps spread across occupied Europe and the few extermination camps which were established specifically to execute the genocide,principally of European Jewry. It's a distinction made by the nazis and one that several involved were keen to make in their testimony at Nuremberg,particularly if they could associate themselves with the perceived lesser of two evils.

Remember

Auschwitz-Birkenau,Chelmno,Belzec,Majdanek,Sobibor,Treblinka.

Remember also that several were dismantled and "landscaped" by the nazis because their work was done.

There may be a couple more in Belarus or Croatia which some modern historians add to this list but I don't believe Eichmann or Heydrich had them on their lists. Either way it still amounts to a small number of sites responsible for the deaths of millions of human beings. The deaths in concentration camps were,for the nazis,a bonus. It's almost incredible to type that seventy years later.
Steve

Marines Pose with Nazi SS Flag?

"... The U.S. Marine Corps once again did damage control after a photograph surfaced of a sniper team in Afghanistan posing in front of a flag with a logo resembling that of the notorious Nazi SS — a special unit that murdered millions of Jews, gypsies and others.

The Corps said in a statement that using the symbol was not acceptable, but the Marines in the photograph taken in September 2010 will not be disciplined because investigators determined it was a naive mistake.

The Marines believed the SS symbol was meant to represent sniper scouts and never intended to be associated with a racist organization, said Maj. Gabrielle Chapin, a spokeswoman at Camp Pendleton, where the Marines were based.

"I don't believe that the Marines involved would have ever used any type of symbol associated the Nazi Germany military criminal organization that committed mass atrocities in WWII," Chapin said. "It's not within who we are as Marines."

The Corps has used the incident as a training tool to talk to troops about what symbols are acceptable after it became aware of the photograph last November, Chapin said."

Sad story. Unfortunate. Learn from your mistakes. Move on.

The End.

MM

That, of course, is something that outsiders will never know for sure. If the Corps knows for sure I doubt if they will ever "come clean" as it were. Scary thought is that it was deliberate and they really saw themselves in that light. As I posted earlier Civilization is a very thin veneer on our species. Any breakdown in modern services food/water/police/fire/power/etc. brings out the vultures. I await 12/21/12. The wackos will be out

Actions speak louder than words (or symbols). How did these Marines conduct themselves? were they effective? ... that is the important question.

MM

I agree...the soldiers showed very poor judgment when they chose that flag. Like it or not, but a deployed soldier, is an emissary for the USA. Everything that they do will be judged as an expression of the "American Way".

...and thus we end this thread. Lively discussion gents. But let's let this one close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back