Masking Wheel Wells?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dneid

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2012
Austin, TX
Hey, All,
ok, I am in the final stages of construction of a basic Revell P-47 Razorback. I am using this one to get a better handle on painting and finishing practices before I move back to the Tamiya Me-109E and Spitfire. Now, here is my question.... just how do you all mask those wheel wells? I use tissue stuffed into the wells, but I wondering of there is a better way? Maybe some blue tack? Taping does not seem to be a solution. Any hints, tips, or tricks would be appreciated.
Dale

I use those little sponges that manicurists use. They come in triangle shapes and are easily trimmed to fit into weird shaped openings. I keep telling you guys to go to a beauty supply store and just wander around, there is a ton of stuff that is great for modeling!

I always use Tamiya Tape if I need it masked perfectly, other than that I am pretty competant to do it freehand if the wheel will get a lil "dirty" just remove slightly with an exacto, or cover with a bit of "dirt" if the aircraft will have a worn out appearance.

Hey, guys,
Thanks! I know I can always count on you guys for answers. In the past, I have usually finished the wells last. However, the 109 has some PE added to it and I got way ahead of myself and finished the wells.
meatloaf, you ROCK!!! I will head over to my local beauty supply store tomorrow and wander around. I can already see far more uses for those sponges you mentioned beyong masking off my wells. Excellent tip, buddy!
Dale

And I use toilet paper!!!!!!
It needs to be DAMP to fill the wells. Just dampen your hand under the faucet and then pat the paper till it is damp. Then fill the well, poking it into the corners and edges. You can pack the pretty tight. You can do this with any opening. I'm a little more gentle with cockpits. Don't want to break all the little stuff in them.

Yep, I do the same as Bill. Damp tissue will fold/crush into virtually any space and shape and, once dry, absorbs any excess over-spray. I also use kitchen foil, which can be pressed into place, and also makes an excellent masking material for wrapping around wings, tail planes, and other 'sticky out bits'.

Cling film (shrink wrap/kitchen film) is also very useful for masking wings, for example. Either this, or the foil, can be used to cover the whole wing if needed, with only minimal tape (if any) required to hold it in place. Not only makes masking large areas a lot easier, it also saves a heck of a lot on relatively expensive kabuti tape (the Tamiya type), or even the cheaper general purpose decorator's tape.

I'll chip in to say that I've also sometimes glued the wheel covers over the well with a couple of small dabs of white glue. The glue sticks just enough to hold them in place and the pieces come off easily with a light pry with an x-acto blade. Excess glue can be popped off with the blade with no effect on the underlying paint. This way, the covers are painted at the same time as the underside.

Note that this only works well if the covers are a good fit!

I'll chip in to say that I've also sometimes glued the wheel covers over the well with a couple of small dabs of white glue. The glue sticks just enough to hold them in place and the pieces come off easily with a light pry with an x-acto blade. Excess glue can be popped off with the blade with no effect on the underlying paint. This way, the covers are painted at the same time as the underside.

Note that this only works well if the covers are a good fit!
I do that on engine cowlings too.

Well now, the cling film is something I never even considered, but will next time.
And the white glue trick, good one.

Just tried the toilet paper in the cowl method for the first time. I'll let you know my feelings on this in about 20 minutes. I was surprise how quick the wet TP conformed to the opening,

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back