Mason finds a piece of a crashed british plane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BikerBabe

Senior Master Sergeant
May 21, 2009
Denmark.
www.bmwmc.dk
The story in danish:

jp.dk - Murermester finder krigshistorie - Indland

Remains of a crashed bomber was discovered, when a chief bricklayer found a machine gun on Southern Funen, when he was digging.

Crashs_ite_242494e.jpg

The bomber broke into several pieces at the crash on Southern Funen in 1944.
Here, two german soldiers guards one of the engines, that has lodged itself in the ground.

Photo: RobertsMMs

It was a somewhat unusual discovery that a chief bricklayer made, when he was digging to prepare a foundation of a building on Southern Funen.
Suddenly, a three-barreled machine gun appeared, complete with ammunition.

The discovery was made at Øster Skerningevej in Vester Skerninge, and both ammunition and machine gun had seen better days. The three 80-90 cm's long barrels had been bent.
The weapon turned out to belong to a british aircraft, that were shot down over Southern Funen during WW2, according to the police at Funen.

Things went wrong over Southern Funen

During the evening on April 32rd, 1944, the Stirling bomber LJ526 from 149th Squadron at Lakenfield Airfield, Suffolk, England, took off.

The seven-man-aircrew from England, Canada and Australia were experienced and had been on many sorties, where they - among other things - had laid out mines in the Kieler bay.
So the task on April 23rd, where they were supposed to drop mines in Femern Bælt, was almost a routine mission for the crew.

But at night over Southern Funen things went wrong.
The crew got into air combat with a night fighter from the german Luftwaffe.
Two allied planes were shot down, and LJ526 crashed near the border between Øster Skerninge and Ollerup.

The day after, you could read in Svendborg Avis (Newspaper), how witnesses at 23:15 (11:15 PM DT) had seen a british plane "crash burning in Øster Skerninge, and how the plane fell apart in several pieces".
None of the seven crew members survived.

Examines weapon

66 years later, the machine gun from the downed aircraft turns up, when a chiefbricklayer were going to dig to prepare a foundation for a new building.

- we've taken the weapon into possession, and we'll try to find out if a museum or something like that has any interest in it, says Lars Fredensborg from the Funen Police.

---------------------------

Roughly translated by me.

That's the Danish spring calendar Tim - designed to give more time for daylight!!!
Nice info Maria. I'm guessing there should be a fourth machine gun, presumably from the reat turret. Maybe the other one is still in the ground?
Incidentally, the news report is slightly wrong, as the airfield name should read Lakenheath, in Suffolk, England. This became an American base, and still is, but RAF Stirlings were based there around the period in question.

April 32nd?

Never heard of it then? Odd...*giggles*

That's the Danish spring calendar Tim - designed to give more time for daylight!!!
Nice info Maria. I'm guessing there should be a fourth machine gun, presumably from the reat turret. Maybe the other one is still in the ground?
Incidentally, the news report is slightly wrong, as the airfield name should read Lakenheath, in Suffolk, England. This became an American base, and still is, but RAF Stirlings were based there around the period in question.

That's exactly what it is, Air. Spring calender alright, ;)
I'll see if I can find more info on the parts that were found at the site of the crash back then.
There might be a risk that the pieces were sent off to Germany for closer scrutiny and later, the metal might have been recycled or something - but that's just guessing. I'll see if I can find out.
And thanks for the correction regarding the airfield name and location. ;) :thumbleft:

EDIT:

During the excavation for a new building at Øster Skerningevej 9 in Ollerup, worker Johannes Drud Jensen found a large collection of wreck pieces from LJ 526.
The explanation is this: After the crash, ther germans gathered the largest parts. The metal could be melted and thus reused. The smaller pieces, like piping, wiring and pieces of clothes were covered with soil.
During the next 25 years, the owner of Hovgården, Malling Nielsen, could plow the site without knowing anything about the crash site.

picture.jpg

Last edited:
You're welcome Maria. Keep us informed if you find out more. Stirling stuff is rare, although a friend in Copenhagen knows the location of a complete Stirling, off the Danish coast.......!!

*poke* Previous one of my post - I did find a wee bit more. ;)
Including this video on YouTube - a short description:
Every year since 1867 on Kristi Himmelfartsdag (y'know, the day when Jesus went to Heaven? Dunno what it's called in english.), a march goes out from the city square in Svendborg, to Assistens Kirkegård ("cemetary") in Svendborg, to remember the fallen soldiers from the wars in 1864 and 1945.
Soldiers, sailors, airmen and resistance fighters, plus victims of the wars are remembered and honoured at this march, where representatives from the RAF also participates. The elderly gentleman in the video, wearing a cotton coat w. arm band in red, white and blue, is one of the many danish resistance fighters, who fought back then.
Several RAF airmen, whose planes crashed on Funen, were buried in Svendborg during WW2.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEU6raZvJOc

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back