Me-108 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

kasper

Airman
Aug 12, 2006
www.dalesplanes.co.uk
Taken at a recent show in Ireland. Not as sharp as it should have been - came out of nowhere and I just pointed and clicked :)

ME108-3.jpg

ME108-2.jpg

are you standing on some sort of cliff looking out over the ocean for that first pic? looks very low over the sea!

Yes, good question that one. Is it some sort of hill or something that you are standing on to take it? I once confused one of those that was static for a Bf-109 display in a photo. It didn't name it and so I thought that the size discreptancy was just the angle of the photo...

Here's one of my Uncle Max with a captured Me108 in, probably Spring of '45.

A little off topic, but my Uncle Max was a Major with the 8th Armored Division, as a liason / recon pilot. He was killed in December '45 when his plane crashed in the Austrian mountains during a snow storm. His body wasn't located until a few years later, having been frozen intact in the cockpit just as he was when he crashed. Buried in Tidioute, PA.

Attachments

• David and captured Me108.jpg
    David and captured Me108.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 379
Nice photos..of an original Messerschmidt Bf 108 or some form of French Nord Pingouin?

Hi Njaco,

>Definately a Taifun.

Hm, how do you tell? At least the engine is not the original air-cooled inverted V, but a horizontally opposed engine. The Nords mostly had inverted single-row inline engines, I believe.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

HoHun, you are correct! I became confused with the codes.

thought this...

Airliners.net Photos: Germany - Air Force Messerschmitt Bf 108 Taifun

was this....

Airliners.net Photos: Untitled Nord 1002 Penguin

I thought the engine looked to be the Argus inverted V instead of the French 6 cyl. as quoted from Messerschmitt Bf-108 Taifun ... but I missed a few things..
"Production of the Bf 108 continued in France after the war as the Nord 1001 Pingouin I (Penguin). These were made using left over German airframes and parts and, as the Argus engines were unavailable due to the factories being destroyed, had a French built, six cylinder, 233 hp Renault 6Q-11 engine installed. Once the supply of surplus parts was exhausted, SNCAN began work on building aircraft from new as the 230 hp Renault 6Q-10 powered Nord 1002 Pingouin II. Most of these ended up being used by the French military. The surviving Me 208 (which had been redesignated the Nord 1100 Noralpha by this stage) was developed into the Renault 6Q-10 powered Nord 1101 Ramier I (Woodpigeon) and then the Renault 6Q-11 powered Nord 1102 Ramier II. Again, many of this type ended up with the French military. Two further types were to come out of SNCAN but were only used for powerplant testing; these were the N1104 Noralpha with a 240 hp Potez 6Dba engine and the N1110 Nord-Astazou with a Turboméca Astazou turboshaft engine. By the time production finally ended, SNCAN had produced a further 285 aircraft in addition to those built during the war."

Oh well! :oops:

The French 'reproduced' a number of German designs. The Nords, as above and the SIPAs, for another example, were based on the Arado 296/396. You'll see one of these at the start of the movie, 'The Eagle Has Landed.'
(They also produced the Focke Wulf Fw 190A-5 as the SNCAC NC 900)

Then there are aircraft that try to imitate German lineage.

What is this aircraft, 'unmasked'?

It's this;

When I first saw the Me-108, I mistook it for the Me-109 due to the similarities between the two. Plus the angle of the photo made the Me-109 look longer. The Me-108 was never actually used as a fighter-bomber was it?

outside of the Argus engines....? The first looks modified to ...ahem..resmble a Luftwaffe plane. The second is Swiss?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back