Me-163b Komet - Oxygen system

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01,

Thank you for the Cockpit layout diagram I had been looking for a good of those. Excellent.

Thanks also for photo of the O2 regulator, as you can see from mine we still have a length of rubber tubing coming out of the top of ours, I guess the liot had some sort of plug in connection from his face mask to this pipe.

Regards

Rodd
he did, standard Luftwaffe practise. See here how it would plug in. Mint Luftwaffe 1067 Oxygen mask

O2 was filled by Ha11

1624100772927.png

Hi all,

A couple of photos from a US museums which just about show the O2 bottles. They are the normal three Spherical steel balls in a row type as seen on other LW aircraft
and if you look carefully through the viewing window inside the rear view glazing you can just see a Black & white stripped band around the middle sphere.

Regards

Rodd

Attachments

• Me163 bottles US Komet  2.JPG
    Me163 bottles US Komet 2.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 55
  • Me163 bottles US Komet .JPG
    Me163 bottles US Komet .JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
Snautzer01.

WOW!!! The original 'Operating Instructions'
I will print them off and add to the Museum's Documentation for this aircraft they will be so useful.

Many Thanks / Danke vehr mal

Rodd

Snautzer01,

I will keep it in mind and may come back to you.

I think for now I have enough information to check our aircraft to make sure it meets the latest safety rules that we are having to apply to all our exhibits.

No curiosity gets the better of me - What do you have?

Grusse

Rodd

Your picture is in fact presenting 2 ports for hydraulic system and and single oxygen charging port, and this is also correct - Soviets have used the same connection standard to the 1980s.

J P C

Thank you for your replies and confirming that my picture does show the Oxygen filling point.

I am at the museum today so can now complete the safety checks required and also pass on the information from yourself and others who replied to my question on ww2aircraf. This all helps build up the knowledge we have on this aircraft.

Thank you everyone 👍

Hi All,

I have been working on the Me-163 in RAFM Cosford this week and would like a little help to clarify the details about service points for filling the various (non-Fuel) consumables.

This first photo shows the port side nose and a circular inspection hatch, the second shows what is inside that circular hatch.

View attachment 627600 View attachment 627601

Now I read "Langsam Fullen" as 'Fill slowly' but the question is with What.

I am assuming that the Red coloured point at upper left is Compressed Air as a). there is a ball valve behind this nut and b). pipes to the Skid jacks are also painted red. Am I right ?

Also what are the other two filling points for? I had assumed the blue round the outside of the cover plate would indicate Oxygen (Saurstoffe) as all gauges and flow valves in the cockpit are also blue painted but which filler and what is the third one for? Presumably Not fuel as C=Stoff and T-stoff plates are all over the upper fuselage.

Also does anyone know what the code "Hb11" by the lower filler point mean

Anyone and ideas please?

Many thanks in advance
Rodd
Hi Rod,

The two caped ones are the hydraulic connection points for the ground hydraulic test supply. They are marked Ha2 for the supply line and Hb11 for the return line. If they were colour marked they would have been Braun RLM 26
The one without the cap is for compressed air(emergency supply for operating the undercarriage without hydraulic pressure available) The color marking would have been base of blue (RLM 24) with red (RLM 23) stripes at intervals and the marking should read Ha1. (Oxygen would have been colour coded Base Blue with white Stripes)

The compressed air supply connector has the gerätenummer 8-4508
1624348324161.jpeg
1624348369984.jpeg

Best regards

MIflyer

Thanks for the exploded view diagrams.

I think these may be for a 163a or something as our 163b (and others in museums in the US etc) has an Oxygen system.
See the attached photos and cut away diagram No. 14.

I just need to find out how they were filled, nothing obvious found during this weeks safety check so now wondering if its accesibble when the ammunition belt cover are removed, will have to investigate next week.

Now the "Natter" that's a whole different thing, think I'd want to be armour plated to fly that one ;)

Regards

Rodd
Hi Rod,

Yhe oxygen system was filled throug the "Aussenbordanschluss" FL 417233. This was situated in the cockpit on the right wall and can be seen on the photographs in this conversation.
So the filling was not from the autside, but from inside the cockpit.

1624351787698.png
1624351821149.png
1624351939590.png

Best regards

Hi,

Oxygen would have been colour coded Base Blue with white Stripes. The colour for air is blue. The compressed air for not emergency purpose like arming guns will be only blue.

There would be a note "Sauerstoff Öl und fettfrei halten" (Oxygen no oil and grease) next to the filling point.

Regards
Mikael

Last edited:
Hi Mikael,

Many thanks for your comments and clarifications of the various parts of the system and in particular confirming colour coding and markings.

The comment about the decal (Blue & White with oil & grease warning) is interesting as our aircraft does not have one on the starboard wing root like the Me162's exhibited in other museums as it has been re-sprayed twice since being in the museum. However the fuselage upper fuel (T-Stoff) filling cap near to the O2 tank has, erroneously, been painted in blue and white stripes (see photo) - So a new item has been added to the things to do list.

Thanks you again for the information

Regards

Rodd

Attachments

• Me163 COSFORD  Filler with O2 colours - WRONG MARKING .jpg
    Me163 COSFORD Filler with O2 colours - WRONG MARKING .jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 37
Hi Everyone,

Back in the museum today and had a chance look at the Me-163 Komet again and with all your help I have been able to confirm that

1). There is an oxygen (saurstoff) tank in place behind the pilots headrest and
2). the pipes and valves are open and it is an unpressurised system and is therefore Safe.. Hooray.

Next week we start on the Cold War hangar safety checks so it is my chance to learn some Polish on the Mig15 and Russian on the Mig 21 as we identify what does what etc. .....
Wish me luck

Thanks again for your help, plans photos etc etc..

Rodd

Hi again,

I have found this drawing of the oxygen system from the regulator and instruments to the mask. As kan be seen, there is a tube with a metal bend directly mounted to the regulator and the mask with its tube is hucking up to the first tube.
The two instruments are the pressure indikator FL 30496 and the flow indikater FL 30489
1624379838656.png
1624380286827.png
1624380374707.png
1624436944727.png
1624437501955.png

Best regards
Mikael

Last edited:
Mikael,

Thank you again for the information.

With your help I have now identified the internal fill point in the cockpit (see photo).

Regards

Rodd

Attachments

• Me163- Fill point internal.png
    Me163- Fill point internal.png
    570.1 KB · Views: 60
Next week we start on the Cold War hangar safety checks so it is my chance to learn some Polish on the Mig15 and Russian on the Mig 21 as we identify what does what etc. .....
Wish me luck
The Soviets used similar (possibly the same) colour coding as it seems is in the 163. Should be a start for identification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back