Me-163b Komet - Oxygen system

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Soviets used similar (possibly the same) colour coding as it seems is in the 163. Should be a start for identification.
That is most likely to be due to the fact, that the USSR did not have any jets by the end of WW2, not even experimental.

The basis for jet technology in the USSR are form the germans as large companies involved in the jet development like Junkers and BMW fell into the hands of the Russians. The JUMO 004 was developed futher to increace trust and performance, so was the BMW 003. All engineers and technicians were germans. Production was going already by the end of 1945.

The TA183 under development was also taken by the russians and probably developed into the MIG-15
1624447680662.png

Regards
Mikael

Hi Gumbyk,

Thank you that is good to know as I change Hangars next week so will be looking at a MiG 15 and a Mig 21 sometime very soon.

Cheers

Rodd

Here is a diagram of all the stencils on the Me 163 taken from Luftwaffe Painting Guide by Smith, Pentland & Lutz published in 1979. It includes the oxygen decal. It might prove useful in checking off the markings on the Cosford example. In addition the wireless antenna should also be marked Nicht anfassen in White.

A previous post mentioned that the aircraft had a spring loaded ejection seat. That is news to me. Can anyone confirm or deny it?

Does anyone know if the skid was retracted or extended on take off? I have looked at videos and it seems to be retracted at the start of the take off roll on the dolly undercarriage..

I hope Rodd that there is no fuel residue left in the tanks. I think they used to be flushed out with water.

31A8C63C-F72B-4BF1-9CDE-5D3BE7DA627C.jpeg

Hi Skyskooter,

Many thanks for the Decal layout document that will be very useful for the next update when the "Komet" goes off display and into the Conservation Centre for some work to be done.

Spring Loaded Seat ? - No not in ours and no signs of any fitment for it, I think the contributor was confusing the Me-163 with the Heinkel 280 Jet fighter.
Nearest we have for that era in our Hangar is the explosive charge warning label on the canopy of our Fw-190 .

Thanks again for the information

Regards

Rodd

I have a rather extensive collection of material on the 163 including the following plus a few more scattered around somewhere.

Rocket Fighter by Mano Ziegler
Profile 225 by Oberstleutnant a.D. Wolfgang Späte and Richard P. Bateson
Jagdgeschwader 400 by Stephen Ransom and Hans-Hermann Cammann
Winged Rocketry by Maj James C. Sparks
Komet by Jeffrey L. Ethell
Messerschmitt an Aircraft Album No. 2 by J. Richard Smith
German Secret Weapons Blueprint for Mars by Brian Ford
Ricket Fighter by William Green
Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet Vol. II by M. Emmerling/J. Dressel
Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet by Mano Ziegler
Famous Airplanes of the World Messerchmitt Me 163 No. 123 by Bunrindo Co., LTD
German Rocket Planes by Manfred Ggiehl
Single No. 14 Messerschmitt Me 163B-1 Komet by Marek Ryś Krzysztof Wołowski
Airframe Album 10 The Me 163 Komet by Richard A. Franks
21 Spotlight on Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet by Krzysztof Wołowski
Aero Detail 10 Messerschmitt Me 163 & Heinkel He 162 by BM
Top Secret Bird by Wolfgang Späte (CC Operational Test Unit 16)

Aero Detail 10 does show detail of the Heinkel He 162 ejection seat but in all my research, I have never found any reference other than comments about the difficulty of opening the 163's non-jettisonable canopy at speed before jumping over the side. That includes meeting Rudolph Opitz at the 1998 Elmiria Soaring Museum siminar put on by DARPA as a front to gather information on towing tailess aircraft to altitude as an replacement for the shuttle's solid rocket boosters.

Fshort,
Thank you for the photo and yes the end of our 163's Oxygen tube is exactly the same although our fitting is silver coloured and is made of an alloy or stainless steel.

Denoferth,
That is an impressive collection. Brilliant.

Have to disagree with you on the non-jettisonable canopy though. The hinges on the canopy are like diamond shaped keyholes and the securing pins protruding from inside the cockpit are the matching keys. These keys are normally at 90 degrees to the keyhole therefore locking the canopy to the fuselage. The securing pins can be rotated by a cable operated system from within the cockpit allowing the canopy to be released in flight
However it's a heavy old thing and I can understand the comment about the difficulty getting it to jettison in an emergency. Needed a Fw-190 type explosive charge I guess.

Thank you both for the feedback
Rodd

Fshort,
Thank you for the photo and yes the end of our 163's Oxygen tube is exactly the same although our fitting is silver coloured and is made of an alloy or stainless steel.

Denoferth,

Have to disagree with you on the non-jettisonable canopy though. The hinges on the canopy are like diamond shaped keyholes and the securing pins protruding from inside the cockpit are the matching keys. These keys are normally at 90 degrees to the keyhole therefore locking the canopy to the fuselage. The securing pins can be rotated by a cable operated system from within the cockpit allowing the canopy to be released in flight
However it's a heavy old thing and I can understand the comment about the difficulty getting it to jettison in an emergency. Needed a Fw-190 type explosive charge I guess.

Rodd
The fitting would be the same in all Luftwaffe aircrafts, as it was a standerdized system. The fitting and the tube came in different length with the fitting at one end and the elbou connecting to "the Lung" as the regulator was known as. The parts number was FL 30487-03 for a 1,5 meter long tube.

Best regards
Mikael

Fshort,

Denoferth,

Rodd
Here is a drawing of the hinge and jettison system from the original manual
1625042440990.png

Best regards
Mikael

The procedure for leaving the aircraft by parachute.

a. Shut the engine down
b. Dump T-stoff (Dump handle at left side of instrument panel pull)
c. Nose up (for bleeding off speed)
d. When possible shut the electric power down (push button at instrument panel)
e. Release the harness
f. Pull the Emergency leaver for jettison the canopy. In case the canopy is not coming off, make a steep side slip.
g. When possible, wait for the speed reduction before leaving the aircraft.
1625047473760.png

Mig2830,

Very useful diagrams thank you.

Yes it would make sense to use just one standard system for Oxygen masks and connectors across the whole fleet.

ICan confirm that our aircraft is complete and the Emergency release does work.

Regards
Rodd

Denoferth and others with documentation on the Me-163 Komet a question for you...

"No we know we need a decal for the Oxygen filling point do any of you have "

A). The Dimensions and B). What RLM colour is the Blue part ?

Many Thanks in Advance

Rodd

fLSqYvU.png

tr0v7Bc.png

Oxygen color was usually RLM 24 , not sure if decals have a lighter color or its the wearing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back