Me 262 w/ RATO

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

silence

Senior Airman
Nov 20, 2012
Yuba City, California
Anyone know what the installation of two small RATO boosters under the fuselage did for the 262's RoC?? (I just build a model with them and the idea intrigues me.)

The RATO units only had a burn time of about 30 seconds, they only used them for quick take offs. Then dropped them by parachute, so they could be recovered and reused.
I'm sure they did give a pretty spectacular climb for that half minute.

Aircraft are considerably lighter in weight with external ordnance and most fuel gone. So you shouldn't need as much runway for landing.

There was also one version of the Me 262C with a Walter rocket built into the aircraft (as opposed to the BMW jet/rocket engine combo or RATO units mounted on the airframe) in the tail.

Had the airframe been enlarged to suit that seems to me to be a promising idea for fast take-off, climb, acceleration and endurance (especially if the 2 chamber throttle equipped rocket the Me 263/Ju248 was to be fitted with could be used).

I can't find a source on-line but I think I remember reading that the inclusion of the rocket compromised range under jet power due to the space it its fuel took up. No doubt there were CoG weight issues involved....and this is possibly why RATO units the BMW combo were looked into as well.
Although RATO would seem to be a cheap known quantity in the late war (jet) LW.

Last edited:
Aircraft are considerably lighter in weight with external ordnance and most fuel gone. So you shouldn't need as much runway for landing.

i understand that...but i do not know how much the rockets reduced the take off roll. generally landing roll is ~70 - 75% of the take off. if the rockets knocked 30% or more off of the take off....it might be a tight squeeze to get back in. all i can find on the 262 is the length of runway needed....and it gives 3700' - 4950' for both. it doesnt give a specific distance for either landing or take off....well that i can quickly find.

Saw a He-162 cutaway with one of these small cylindrical powder boosters under belly, in the days. Haven't seen any back up for this since.
Good idea certainly when you need to throw schoolboys up there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back