Me 410

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys!! Terry, that 2d pic of your set of 3 really has me wondering now. Maybe Erich can help me. I was all set to place the 'Blau 1' on the theatre band but now that is the second pic of a crate with a numeral that is positioned forward of the cross with a Gruppe bar on the band. No '3U'. What source did you get that pic and does it give a timeframe? Maybe numerals were used when they recieved the 'B' versions later in the year.

Jeez, I'm confused.

And that must be the pic that the boxart referenced Tratt's machine but he may have already been KIA by the time of that pic.

Chris, the pic is from 'Battle over the Reich', Dr. Alfred Price. The caption doesn't give a date, but note, the aircraft are reputedly from II/ZG76, not ZG26.

let me repeat, ZG 76 did use colored numerals to ID their staffeln.

II./ZG 26 of which your interest lies ......... used the Bf 110G variants right up till the fall of 1943. I do not see in the official ZG losses records any colored numbers till Decmber of 1943 like 3U + yellow 6 for 6th staffel. the colored numerals were used with the 3U from December 43 through March of 1944 and the equipment was the Me 410A-1 and the sub variants. the 3U + ?? individual A/C and staffel letter on the fusleage was returned by April 1944 beginnings and I see only 1 Me 410 shot down in May of 44 with a Blue 13 but it also had 3U. Also of note the B variant does not come into effect until May of 44. losses from the time period only stae B-2's, no B-1's at all. So the B-2 plus the subtype(s) were lost.

to add to the confusion III. gruppe flying Bf 110G-2's also used colored numbers for a short term, as well as I./ZG 26 on their Bf 110G-2's.

now to add to the confusion

I. and II./ZG 76 used the B-2 and had colored numerals with M8 + till they disbanded.

now for the clincher.............maybe

it is of my opinion that in the official loss records the unit code was established with the colored numeral but in the operative case(s), and lets use CO Tratt's machine as the prime example, his crate should be marked thusly ~ when shot down he flew Blue 1 + -

make sense anyone ? forget putting on the 3U over the band on the right side of the fuselage and the 3U opposite the Balkenkreuz forward of it on the right side.

E ~ hopeful this now clears the matter ? .........probably not

Yes it does, Erich. Many thanks!! It finally convinces me of how I will proceed with the markings. Many, many thanks!!

his crate should be marked thusly ~ when shot down he flew Blue 1 + -

What color should the Gruppe bar be?

somehow I knew that was coming .........

am going to guess since he was Stab that it should be Blue

4th staffel is white bars plus the numeral colour

5th staffel is black " "

6th staffel is yellow " "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back