Me 410

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
Against my better judgement and the protestations of my pre-wife, I have joined in on the Group Build in the modelling section. My problem: The subject is a Me 410 of Major Tratt from II./ZG 26 in Feb. 1944. There is some question as to the actual markings of this machine so if anyone has any pics of Me 410s, that would be great and if they happen to be of II./ZG 26 even greater. BTW it should be the 'A' version and early 1944 if possible.

I'll send an autograpphed pic of the model when I win if you can help! :):):)

ah I gave you the markings, though he may have flown several types with different markings, flying with a chevron single or double would probably have been suicide

I know, Erich and I'm thankful. I'm almost convinced to go with your markings I'm just fishing for confirmation. :) Some things don't add up but if it comes down to the wire, I'll use what you suggest.

Two I found.Sources S/S Pub Me410 in action, Militaria Me410.

Attachments

• Me410A1 II_ZG26.jpg
    Me410A1 II_ZG26.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 949
  • Me410A1 II_ZG26_.jpg
    Me410A1 II_ZG26_.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 262
From Messerschmitt Me 210/410 by Petrick and Stocker:

"His 38th victory was also a B17 on 22nd February 1944, making him the leading destroyer pilot. He fell in action over Nordhausen that same day and he and his gunner Oberfeldwebel Gillert were killed in Me 410 A-1 W.Nr. 420410, coded 3U + Blue 1."

would not surprise me at all if Tratt's mount had the underwing tanks removed and replaced by twin Br 21's rocket launchers under each wing, as this was standard issue during winter of 44 to almost all Me 410's and Bf 110G-2's

would not surprise me at all if Tratt's mount had the underwing tanks removed and replaced by twin Br 21's rocket launchers under each wing, as this was standard issue during winter of 44 to almost all Me 410's and Bf 110G-2's

I think so too. The endurance of the Me 410 on such an operation would have been more than enough. KG 2 and KG 51 did use them for intruder missions over Britain during 1944 from my research.

Edit: There are some very good photographs of II/ZG 26 machines in the book I quote in the earlier post I made. Sadly I do not have a scanner. Perhaps someone else could help who has the book?

the ZG's did not have to use underwing fuel tanks like the Bf 110G-2's did for various reasons. Staffeln from ZG 26 and 76 together were spread out enough that they could easily cover the routes taken by the 8th AF in the north and the 15th AF from the south heading into Germany

Haven't got that one, but I'll dig out what I have got, and post later tonight. One I've posted before, but, the more the merrier - or more confusion!

I have a few shots of the Wgr210 that might come in handy, NJ...

Including a nose mount on a B1.

Attachments

• me410-wgr210mm.jpg
    me410-wgr210mm.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 174
  • me410-wgr210mm-loading.jpg
    me410-wgr210mm-loading.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 150
  • me410b1-210mm.jpg
    me410b1-210mm.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 161
Thanks guys. I was curious about the rockets and that answered my question. And I'm wondering if a blau 1 was on the nose as stated for several of those II Gruppe machines.

Didn't mean to start a whole new thread - just wanted to know if there were any more pics to be had. Thanks!

well Terry your second pic is of a Bf 110G-2 being re-armed and the revolving nose launcher was a total failure as an experiment as it never saw combat service. When this thing fired it completely torn the lower nose right off the A/C.

Njaco the blue 1 was not on the nose it would of been an individual squadron letter, too early in the winter of 44, the item was a later 44 mounting on the nose for individual ID for the ground crews

Jeez, Erich, when is your book(s) coming out man. If you friggin' die with all this information before then, the WWII community will be at a sincere loss.

Friend the ZG bomber destroyer gruppen is one of my pet pieves, there is a whole shelf dedicated to just that alone from the time of inception and order in September of 43 till they nearly got all wasted in summer of 44 and the remaining crews went off to single engine day fighter units. Sadly there just isn't a real good selection of pics of gunned up 110G-2's or 410A's and B's. it may have to do whom was commanding the gruppen and ZG at the time as in a similar fashion the NJG's had CO's that refused having cameras on base with the threat of imprisonment and lowering of rank

me die, nonsense I have at least another 70 years to go .....

I hope so Erich! BTW, the pics of the '110 being armed with WrGr, and the contraption on the nose of the 410, which I thought couldn't have been successful, were posted by Dave (Grau Geist).
However, here's a couple I found, which I doubt will be of much help.
The first pic is reputedly a machine of II/ZG26, about to taxi. Note the twin WrGr tubes under each wing.
Picture 2 is apparently of '410's of II/ZG76, the nearest aircraft showing the Gruppenkommandeur winkel. Note the second aircraft has the number in front of the cross, and the II Gruppe bar on the fuselage stripe.
The final pic is just for interest, and is a clip from the gun camera of a US fighter, clobbering a '410 that is making an approach to the bomber formation, just visible in the background. Note again the WrGr tubes.

Attachments

• Njaco 004.jpg
    Njaco 004.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 555
  • Njaco 003.jpg
    Njaco 003.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 156
  • Njaco 002.jpg
    Njaco 002.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 152
hope these help Njaco there all reportadly ZG/26 machines
from Me410 in action