Me109G-6 Finish Air Force

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here are some updates:

For the upper surfaces I've started masking with Silly Putty (I love this thing!).
BF109G6_FIN069.jpg

And then I painted the Olive Green (1*XF21+1*XF22+1*XF65, all Tamiya acrylics).
BF109G6_FIN070.jpg

BF109G6_FIN071.jpg

That's it for while, comments and critics are welcome, as usual!

Looking great. The idea of using of the Silly Putty seems to be a very good idea. Its thickness can cause edges of the colour demarcation lines quite soft. What about unsticking of the putty?

Looking great. The idea of using of the Silly Putty seems to be a very good idea. Its thickness can cause edges of the colour demarcation lines quite soft. What about unsticking of the putty?

It leaves no residue and you don't need to make any effort to remove it.
Pretty good

Thanks for the tip of softwear, I will seek out and seize its usefulness. :infinity:

ALSO I use putty similarly (brand Pritt - white putty), but only to the contours and interior use from the newspaper, post-it, recycled paper and / or mask liquid. I have not tried to do everything with putty, faster and easier.

Very good job so far Paulo. :thumbup:

Obrigado novamente e felicitações na progresso de seu pássaro. :lol:

Saludos

LC
SANCER

Thanks all for your kind words. Regarding the Silly Putty it needs to be the one that comes inside a plastic egg (found in toy stores).

Here it is, the camouflage applied.

BF109G6_FIN074.jpg

I also did paint the spinner white and black. I did using a circle template.

BF109G6_FIN075.jpg

BF109G6_FIN076.jpg

BF109G6_FIN077.jpg

As you can see it still have some marks and scratches, but after adding the weathering this will help the effect. I also can re-touch using the airbrush.

That's it for while

Great looking Gustav, especially at 1/72 scale! I've used Silly Putty before but it apparently left an invisible residue that affected my clear coat (Alclad Gloss). The clear wouldn't "sit" on the areas where the Silly Putty was and it resulted in the physical pooling of the clear coat around those areas, which I had to gently sand down.

Alert (or word of advise) don't use Humbrol Decal Fix on kits previously coated with Future and Tamiya Acrylics.
Believe me! Photo to come.

I'm verry sorry to hear that . :(
However it has been mentioned a several times on the forum that coating with oil colours like Humbrol over acrylic paints including clear varnishes can cause nothing but troubles. I hope you can get it sorted out soon. I keep my fingers crossed. :thumbright:

I'm verry sorry to hear that . :(
However it has been mentioned a several times on the forum that coating with oil colours like Humbrol over acrylic paints including clear varnishes can cause nothing but troubles. I hope you can get it sorted out soon. I keep my fingers crossed. :thumbright:

Hi mate!
The problem is that I didn't use an oil/enamel paint over acrylics, but a product that is supposed to help decals to fix and to conform to the kit (which in my opinion should be able to be applied over acrilics).

But it was a recoverable damage!

After letting the paint dry overnight it was time to get it a cool clear coat of Future=Pledge.

I usually spray a mix of Future + Tamiya X20A at 1:1 ratio, applying in thin coats until shining. Again, let it set overnight before applying the decals.

I then decided to use a new product I have bought recently: Humbrol Decal Fix.

Disaster! When I placed the decal and used the decal fix I've noticed a reaction under the decal, fortunately the decal covered it, but one small drop in the wing tip dissolving the paint.

The red arrow shows the area affected by the decal fix
BF109G6_FIN078.jpg

So I had to repaint it.
BF109G6_FIN079.jpg

I think I fixed it! What do you think?

Hi mate!
The problem is that I didn't use an oil/enamel paint over acrylics, but a product that is supposed to help decals to fix and to conform to the kit (which in my opinion should be able to be applied over acrilics).

But it was a recoverable damage!

Oh sorry , my fault. I have thought about the Humbrol Clear Fix while it is a different thing. The Humbrol Decal Fix is nothing more like the micro set / micro sol liquids. Anyway, there have already been reported such problems with the kind of liquids that affected acrylic coats as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back