Memory Lane: What was your very first model kit?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
With the recent discussion of hobby shops closing, it got me thinking about the fun I used to have exploring those shops and dreaming of having that monster aircraft kit that was always taunting me from behind the counter...

It also took me back to the first kits I had as a kid and so here we are:

What was the very first model kit you ever built? Do you remember what it was?

For me, it was a Hawk Model's F2H2 Banshee given to me by my Uncle Bill, who flew them (he also gave me a F9F Panther at the same time, which he had also flown, but I built the Banshee first).

041_131150738_std_zpsr96qf80y.jpg

My first Model Kit I ever built by myself was an old 1/72 Academy P40B/C in around 2006 or 2007, but the first model kit I ever technically built was Lindberg's 1/64 B17 with my Grandad in 2006. I need to see if I can find it in my Attic or somewhere so I can take some pictures of it.

The old Airfix 1/72nd scale Lysander I think, back in 1959, followed swiftly by the Spitfire MkIX, or perhaps the other way around. I have the feeling that the Lysander looked like a Spit, an the Spit like a Lysander, by the time I'd finished !!

The old Airfix 1/72nd poly-bag kits were 2 Shillings (Ten Pence) for many years at Woolworth's, and always displayed on a peg board at a counter immediately inside the doorway of every store, usually on the right hand side. The cigarette and tobacco counter was on the opposite side of the door !
Some of those same kits are still being issued by Airfix today, at around £7 to £10, although they have started to re-tool most.

Mine was a 1/72 109E that my mother bought me from the grocery store. Probably Airfix. Use to be able to by kits everywhere here in Canada. As I said, grocery stores had them, Coles book stores and even the corner "Smoke Shop" which had a barber shop attached.

At the age of 6 I "helped" my brother with his Airfix model of the "Evening Star" while he was out...he wasnt impressed. My first model was a Typhoon...also a dogs dinner. Assembled glued and painted all before lunchtime.

I do remember model kits were to be found everywhere: drug stores, dime stores, grocery stores. It seems the toy section of the grocery store mostly had cars models, though.

My Dad used to bring home auto dealer promo cars and I ended up with quite a collection of those. They were identical to the model kits, except were fully assembled. They were 1/32 scale and most often molded in one color, except for the chrome trim. Not too long ago, I looked up the price of some of the ones I had and about cried when I discovered those things are now worth a fortune!

Yep, same here. The local Newsagent, grocery stores, toy shops and all sorts of places sold kits, in varying amounts and types.

I acquired my first few from a local grocery shop. They were delivered with the groceries...and people think 'delivered to your door' is a new idea! Of course you, or rather your mum, had to have credit with the shop:) I went to school with the son of that shop's owner.

Paints (Humbrol of course) came from a model shop 'in town', now long gone. I wasn't too fussed about the colours, they all looked good hanging from our (brother and I) bedroom ceiling, at lest to us. I'm not sure that the IPMS would agree.

Cheers

Steve

since 1993-94 when my uncle would leave his life in Madrid and moved to our house for a few months to settle in l'alcora, castellon, as one of the many gifts to me was this model, there I began my craze plastic, but I never have taken it very seriously, it's just a pastime more than a hobby

165536-12155.jpg

P.D: sorry did not see the photo

I also had a few given to me, by one of my dads friends in (then) Czechoslovakia and Brno, all in 1/72, strange colours to the plastic plus some.....names, which I wouldn't even try to pronounce....all eastern block birds and some rather nice! Both WWI and WWII as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back