Memory Lane: What was your very first model kit?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The most interesting thing is that all of these VEB Plasticart kits weren't of the 1/72 scale usually. Most of them was of 1/76 scale.

Actually, I still have my first ever model. It's a 1/144 MiG-21. I can't recall the manufacturer nor the exact year when it was bought. I know I was somewhere around 10 year old, so it had to be sometime in the late eighties. Like many of you said, in our country too kits could be bought almost everywhere back then; newspaper booths, book shops, toy departments at grocery stores, etc.
I have built it together with my dad. We put too much glue, clear parts fogged up, no colors or varnish, just decals on bare plastic and we had tons of fun doing it together...

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I have no idea what was the first kit I built was, but I did "build" a kit of the battleship Bismarck in the back of a moving van on a makeshift table my dad set up for me! I really wanted to work on it, but my dad wanted us all to go for a ride "to blow the stink off" as it were. This must have been the compromise! I must have been around 10?

I think my first model was a ship. Revell kit of the USS Arizona after my dad took me to see the movie Tora Tora Tora. This was in Virginia in the early 70's.

H482-RevelUSA-USS-Arizona.jpg

In those days, Revell packed their kits with brochures for a modeling club, which I joined. You got a little collection of cheezy plastic tools and a semi-regular newsletter called "Get It Together"

Getittogether3.jpg

None of these photos are mine (found them on the net) but I specifically remember those issues of the newsletter and having this iron-on transfer.

MMCIronOn.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back