Military Aviation Museum in Va Beach VA

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

We have no idea when it is coming home to us. We have not seen the boss to ask. He has been in New Z watching his Mossie perform. Heard it was going to work the Europe circuit then come home to us. No definate date yet.

i have also been sent a lot of inside video of the Mossie flying if anyone is interested? I see that other thread started about our Mossie but nobody really has info, photos or video that I have lol

I will do buffnut I plan on letting all know when the Mossie comes home and our FW 190 D9 flies.

Thanks Dave. I had the privilege of sitting in the BAe Mossie a few years before it crashed. I was a 16-year-old air cadet learning to fly at Speke airport and walked into the met office one morning to be confronted with a Mossie on the apron. The crew were checking met and NOTAMs so, being the cheeky git that I was (and still am), I asked if we could take a look at their beautiful aircraft. They consented so we flew down the stairs and out onto the apron - I made it there first with my mate close behind and we rattled up the ladder and into the cockpit. Needless to say the pilot was less than impressed...but it was worth it!

Fast forward 5 years and I was serving in the RAF. A mate and I went to London Colney to visit the Mosquito Aircraft Museum. It was a quiet day so we got chatting with one of the staff. I'd taken along my 1st edition copy of "Low Attack" by Jon de L Wooldridge, the story of 105 and 139 Sqns operating the first low-level daylight attack missions during WWII. Impressed with our knowledge of, and interest in, the Mossie, the staff member asked if we'd like to sit in the prototype. YGBSM! Yep, up we went. Fantastic!!!

So...really, REALLY looking forward to the 3hr drive down to Virginia Beach when the new bird arrives. Sighing for 2 Merlins!!!

1st one I thought it was a cool photo, it was when we were moving the Avenger down to the Fighter Factor. Had to take it with one hand.
2nd one reminds me of a B17 in England

Attachments

• Avenge resized.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 92
  • Chuckie resized.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I see that other thread started about our Mossie but nobody really has info, photos or video that I have

Now you're just showing off! It was a real joy to see the Mossie fly and I got to talk a little with Jerry - a real nice guy. According to the rumour mill the Mossie was tentatively heading for the UK, but last I heard it wasn't going there. Can't say any more about the European visit either.

Real special seeing that Mossie flash past at high speed Dave, you're gonna love it. It'll be the next 'favorite type' in the collection, I think.

I have nothing but nice things to say about Mr.Yagen especially when he comes in and says "Come on you are coming flying with me in the Dragon Rapide" LOL Although I do bust my butt for our museum for a truely noble cause so yeah i have a right to bragg at times Believe it or not I am not that interested in the Mossie, I am more interested in our Dora and German aircraft. I will take some photos of the Mossie, figure out how it is to be towed in and out of the hangars and walk right past it to my Fw 190 and commence scrubbing my Butcher Bird. When Mr.Yagen stops next at the museum, I usually just walk right up to him and ask him what I want to know. I will find out the plan for the Mossie. That is how I found out he had 7 FW 190's

Well, Dave, I here ya, but the Mossie has a habit of sneaking up on the unwary and biting when least expected. Trust me, when you see it, it'll grab your attention.

I mean here is my point when you hear a RR Merlin you hear them all. I hear the Spit, Hurc and Mustang run up at the same time. Do fly bys at the same time so it cant be much different than the Hurc and Spit flying in formation. Now who can say they have personally heard a Junkers Jumo 213? When the FW 190 A8/N "White 11" takes to the air, I have a photo on here of it with the Mustang. That Ash 82 engine (which sounds just like a BMW 801) just over shoots that RR Merlin. It sounds so tough! Around the museum I am the Butcher Bird experten. We also which is very little known have 3 ME 109s in the works and a BF 110! A Buchon, a G6 and a E7.

A Jumo powered '190 will be impressive, no doubt, so will the Bf 110, but as for the Mossie, wait and see, Dave. It'll get to ya.

Users who are viewing this thread