Military Aviation Museum in Va Beach VA

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The 190 was supposed to be at the Hamilton Air Show two weeks ago, one of the main reasons I planned the trip. Talking with one of the museum pilots, I learned that the 190 is grounded right now because of issues with the prop. They sent the {ghasp!} Wildcat instead.

Spitfire is getting some maintenance done, as far as the FW 190 goes here are the pics I took of it. The prop looks good to me. Wouldn't you say? I am waiting for our Dora to get there!

Attachments

• DSC03478.JPG
    DSC03478.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC03479.JPG
    DSC03479.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 296
..... The prop looks good to me. Wouldn't you say? I am waiting for our Dora to get there!

What Dora would that be?

As far as the 190's prop is concerned, as it was explained to me, there was a problem with one of the same types flying in Europe that caused a forced landing. Something about balancing weights coming loose is what the museum pilot told me. While they sort it out in Europe, this ones grounded apparently.

I will definately find out more Sunday when I do my shift down at the museum about the 190. It so happens to be my fav German plane there, I am hoping one of the Fighter Factory guys shows up there on Sunday. If so I will pick the hell out of his brain. As far as the Dora goes...It was announced at our 2011 Warbirds over the Beach that "The Boss" bought himself a LONGNOSE FW 190 Dora. All the volunteers are patiently awaiting more info on this plane. We heard about "Chuckie" The B17 and then BANG....there it was! Then we heard about the FW 190 (non Dora) and then BANG ..... there it was! Nothing surprises me about the owner of this museum. Also rumors have been "flying" around of the purchase of a ME 262......... more on that as well.

Yeahhhhhhh the FW 190 does in fact have prop balance issues but we have them figured out he he he he he.......The Fighter Factory guys are doing their thing. My buddy Paul caught me in the museums window reflection (1st pic) having one of those military man to military machine (B17 Chuckie) moments I guess you could call them. Was thinking to myself at the time....10 men ...10 of the bravest SOBS...why wasn't I born earlier. 2nd pic was of the inside of our TBF Avenger (Aft looking Forward to cockpit) and 3rd pic is Chuckie B17 and our JU-52 in the distance.

Attachments

• DSC03512#1.JPG
    DSC03512#1.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 303
  • DSC03523#1.JPG
    DSC03523#1.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC03516#1.JPG
    DSC03516#1.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 302
2) Fw190 Dora

"Our friend and client Jerry Yagen "Fighter Factory" did take over from Tony Blair, the "long-nose"(MierMotors). The aircraft will be fitted with a Jumo 213th engine. The Dora is with MierMotors in Germany.....Soon...very.....soon! Oh Jerry Yagen is the owner of the Military Aviation Museum. Can't wait to hear that Jumo.

So I took my boys down to Virginia Beach yesterday to visit the Museum - what a GREAT place. It's almost an American equivalent to the Shuttleworth Collection in the UK. Lots of really knowledgeable staff who like to talk beyond what's written on the information boards. We spent well over an hour talking to one of the pilots - it was great. And then to cap it all, my boys got to meet a Pearl Harbor veteran who lived locally and was visiting the museum - he was groundcrew with the 19th Pursuit Squadron. All in all, an awesome day out. We'll be going back there at least twice this year despite the 4-hour drive. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back