MINIATURE AIRCRAFT MUSEUM

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just a thought, but does anyone ever remember the Lobby and/or Museum from the combat sim "Jane's WWII Fighters"?

If not, I'll see if I can find a video of it. The museum hangar was interactive, you click the Kiosk in front of each aircraft (fighters that were available in the sim) and the viewer would get a brief commentary about the aircraft's engine(s), armament, performance or a breif overview of the aircraft's general information, depending on the viewer's selection. The setting was like being in a hangar, and there were other artifacts in the area that both added atmosphere and a good perspective to the aircraft's scale.

I'll post an overhead screenshot of the museum. This should give everyone an idea of what I'm referring to. You'll notice the yellow kiosks in front of each aircraft, hose are the info kiosks that offer the viewer information for that particular machine.

I'll post the main entrance info area too...that had kiosks that allowed the visitor to get an overveiw of the ground equipment, areas of battles during the winter of 1944-45, etc.

Perhaps something like this might work?

I still have this game and play it on occasion. Great idea. Once inside the museum placing the curser on different areas of each airplane popped up info such as engine and armament. Plus, there is a short video describing each aircraft from its development through its combat history. This would be a very good idea for something to model the museum on.

That's exactly the sort of thing I envisaged Dave! Perhaps not in the same layout, but certainly a similar 'setting' or 'surroundings'. I see it as, literally, a museum layout, with various 'Halls', covering perhaps periods (of aviation), or maybe types of aircraft - for example, bombers, or fighters.
If those here who are intending to get involved 'know' about this type of 'screen' design and display, and how to set-up a prototype system, the I'd suggest it's something like the set-up posted above.
Thanks Dave!

That's exactly the sort of thing I envisaged Dave! Perhaps not in the same layout, but certainly a similar 'setting' or 'surroundings'. I see it as, literally, a museum layout, with various 'Halls', covering perhaps periods (of aviation), or maybe types of aircraft - for example, bombers, or fighters.
If those here who are intending to get involved 'know' about this type of 'screen' design and display, and how to set-up a prototype system, the I'd suggest it's something like the set-up posted above.
Thanks Dave!
You're welcome, Terry!

I liked the idea from the start, and it finally occured to me that this might be something to consider.

Personally, I don't think it would be too involved of a project if you have a good team, perhaps a bit time consuming, but the end result would be worth it's weight in gold.

Glad you agree Dave. I'm ok with visualisation, photography and a bit of design 'ideas' input, but not so hot on the 'computer side' of things. In fact, I'm not even warm on the computer side, being at the equivalent stage of the 'Janet John' books!!
So, if anyone here thinks they'd like to get involved on that side of things, we might have a goer here.

I'm not that advanced, but I would love it if anyone is able to pull it off. Looks like this museum might be easier then pic compilation Terry. :)

I can pull it off, or can try to. It may not look exactly like that, but I'm thinking maybe have a layout like that, and then you click on a plane and it goes into slideshow view.

Does ANYONE else know how to use flash? I know we have some people (like Chris, myself, and Wojtek) that are good with Photoshop, but Flash is where it's iffy. It's really the only suitable program with which to make it, as it allows all of the interactivity we need. It will also be huge file-size wise though, so it may be fun trying to upload it anywhere.

Basically here's what I'm thinking. We do a hanger or museum type layout as the menu, as suggested. This would require cutouts of all of the planes at various angles. From there you can either enter a different hall, either by clicking on a door or some other form of button, or choose a plane to look at. I'm thinking what would happen is the person would click on the plane, and from there it would take them into the original slide-show idea, where they can cycle through each photo, and I think these should also be cutouts so they can be on the main hanger background.

It won't take THAT long to get the Flash set up, it's just getting it so it works without errors. What WILL take a long time is:

1. The background graphics. I do not suggest we make these in Flash, but instead in Photoshop so it will look more realistic.

2. The cutouts. We're going to have many, many, many cutouts of each plane, and a good cutout takes (me anyways) at least half an hour. It's not difficult, and like I said, we have a few people here who can do that, so we'll be able to tag-team it, but it will still take a while.

3. Getting the photos right! We need them to all be in similar lighting. The background doesn't matter at all really if we're just cutting them out, however, it would be very helpful to those cutting them out if they were on a background of a completely different than that of the plane so there's as much contrast as possible.

I'm more than willing to try and get the Flash part set up, and the way I explained it is really the only way I know how to do it, and as it seems I'm the only one who knows Flash, it may have to be done that way! :lol:

I can pull it off, or can try to. It may not look exactly like that, but I'm thinking maybe have a layout like that, and then you click on a plane and it goes into slideshow view.

Does ANYONE else know how to use flash? I know we have some people (like Chris, myself, and Wojtek) that are good with Photoshop, but Flash is where it's iffy. It's really the only suitable program with which to make it, as it allows all of the interactivity we need. It will also be huge file-size wise though, so it may be fun trying to upload it anywhere.

Basically here's what I'm thinking. We do a hanger or museum type layout as the menu, as suggested. This would require cutouts of all of the planes at various angles. From there you can either enter a different hall, either by clicking on a door or some other form of button, or choose a plane to look at. I'm thinking what would happen is the person would click on the plane, and from there it would take them into the original slide-show idea, where they can cycle through each photo, and I think these should also be cutouts so they can be on the main hanger background.

It won't take THAT long to get the Flash set up, it's just getting it so it works without errors. What WILL take a long time is:

1. The background graphics. I do not suggest we make these in Flash, but instead in Photoshop so it will look more realistic.

2. The cutouts. We're going to have many, many, many cutouts of each plane, and a good cutout takes (me anyways) at least half an hour. It's not difficult, and like I said, we have a few people here who can do that, so we'll be able to tag-team it, but it will still take a while.

3. Getting the photos right! We need them to all be in similar lighting. The background doesn't matter at all really if we're just cutting them out, however, it would be very helpful to those cutting them out if they were on a background of a completely different than that of the plane so there's as much contrast as possible.

I'm more than willing to try and get the Flash part set up, and the way I explained it is really the only way I know how to do it, and as it seems I'm the only one who knows Flash, it may have to be done that way! :lol:
I was thinking of a flash based client-side medium when I posted the screenshots, Catch...I have the macromedia shockwave studios, but must admit that I just don't have the time to commit to such a project at the moment :(

IF at all possible, could the models be shot in a "blue-screen" background to allow insertion into a museum style background?

True...the blue would have to be a standard, and close to #0000FF (0, 0, 255) to work...

Perhaps then, if there could be a white BG, you could get a decent border definition, regardless of the aircraft's camo and/or finish and that would still allow the photos to be worked into a default "museum" setting.

Guys i like the idea as a general concept, but there area number of issues to consider. If you want to compare dimensions, you would have to have a "virtual curator" to whom all photographs would have to be submitted. this volunteer would have to be software savvy, and put the the photgraphic submissions through something like photoshop or smartdraw to achieve the same scale for each images that reproduce at the same scale.....the photgrahs would also need to be taken at standard angles, I suggest side front, top, bottom and rear profiles.

If a person wanted to compare types, they would need to create a workspace, then select the image(s) they wanted to compare, whch they would paste into the workspace. There would be a maximum number of images per workspace (I am thinking four). They could then view their worksheet online, download and save it, or just print a hardcopy.

Each work sheet should have a scale at the bottom to show the size of the aircraft being looked at.

I think the basis of the images should be our own models that we build. We would take the photos on completion of the build and submit them to the "curator" for consideration.

If this were to happen I would be more than happy to help and contribute myself.....

I was just browsing the web for model airplane pictures and I came this incredible site. You guys can really build models!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an idea, but has anyone thought about contacting Shinpachi an seeing if he might be able to help out. He is exceptional with these types of programs and may be willing to help out. You could set up a program with a small data base. Enter two aircraft into the system and bring them up to compare them in a stacked (one over the other) configuration. I may be going in the wrong direction here but again, it's just an idea.

I was just browsing the web for model airplane pictures and I came this incredible site that has over 300 custom built models. All are extremely high quality. Mostly of them are WW2 aircraft. Check'em out and let me know what you think. I like the spitfire on the front page. dogfighter.com Online Air Museum | Custom Model Airplanes | Collectible Airplanes History
Methinks I smell the interesting aroma of SPAM...

Just a thought from a relative newbe. Using a "standard", perhaps 2 meter scale checkerboard overlay. I say overlay because it would be masked over the side, top and front views of the aircraft. Since I have non finished myself, I'm just returning to building, I will pick something off the website and make an overlay in Corel and repost it here on this thread. This idea could lead to all sorts of resource material. Even links to walkarounds for model builders. It could dominate THE WORLD! I digress, sorry. I will work on the overlay ides. Cheers, Bill

Something like this perhaps?

Attachments

• scale grid..jpg
    scale grid..jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 111
The only possible downside would be the cost of putting up all these pictures, but I am all for the idea, my younger brother recently did WW2 in history and all they taught him about again i might add was the home front, evacuation etc I feel these things should be put in context, learn a bit about the U-Boat war, the Battle of Britain, and a resource as powerful as this one could be would possibley allow them to teach these things, feel very strongly about young uns knowing about the past, as in a way I owe my life as it is now to the aircraft and pilots, who battled over my Grandfathers head in the skies of Malta (he was just a kid back then) so yeah I have done website building before (proper website building not online templetes) if I can be any use let me know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back