Newark Air Museum Model Displays.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I went to Cockpit Fest at Newark Air Museum yesterday, and got some pics of some interesting model displays there, both 'permanent' and specific displays for the event. I'll post a few pics at a time, including some of an incredible collection of Spitfires, P51s and Bf109s.
The first batch are part of the permanent displays at the Museum, which is located on part of a former WW2 airfield just outside Newark, in Nottinghamshire, UK. These are some very nice large scale, presumably scratch-built models in a very large, glass-fronted display just inside the entrance to one of the hangars.
I'm guessing ther scales range between about 1/32nd to approximately 1/20th, and I apologise for the reflections off the huge window at the front of the display.

Attachments

• C Fest 026.jpg
    C Fest 026.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 155
  • C Fest 027.jpg
    C Fest 027.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 179
  • C Fest 028.jpg
    C Fest 028.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 154
  • C Fest 029.jpg
    C Fest 029.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 169
  • C Fest 030.jpg
    C Fest 030.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 161
Thanks guys. The next four are the last of the large scratch-built models in the glass 'room', and two of a large scale Lanc, sitting near an 'Upkeep' weapon. I'm guessing ther Lanc was around 1/18th scale, scratch-built!

Attachments

• C Fest 044.jpg
    C Fest 044.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 154
  • C Fest 042.jpg
    C Fest 042.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 160
  • C Fest 032.jpg
    C Fest 032.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 155
  • C Fest 031.jpg
    C Fest 031.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 161
Nicely done Terry. I managed about 3 minutes in that hangar....and I wont be posting any pics , cos they all turned out cr*p !. I took a few of that display with heavies in....and essentially managed to take my own reflection in each pic.:evil:

Did you by any chance look at top of the door when you left the hangar ?. They had a whole raft of 1/72 planes all built up and sprayed totally satin black, no markings, even the canopies blacked out, almost like the ones produced for aircraft recognition training in WW2. Looked quite a selection of old and new stuff there and it looked quite an impressive display

Thanks Gary. Yes, I saw those models. They are recognition models, used by the R.O.C. from the end of the war until the 1960s. I was going to get a pic of some on the way out, but couldn't stretch up, as my knees had locked!!!
Got a few pics of the cockpits and some of the Museum aircraft, whcih I'll add to your thread when you start it.

Here's a couple more of the Museum's own model displays. A very large Canberra model, sitting under the wing of a real Canberra, and a case full of variants of the Canberra, with an example of one of the really nice models, all in 1/72nd scale.
I tried to get some pics of some of the other display cases, but the light, through the roof windows, was reflecting of the glass too much.
The last shot shows the incredible display of Spitfires, all to 1/48th scale with, in the distance, smaller displays of P51s and Bf109s.
More soon!

Attachments

• C Fest 149.jpg
    C Fest 149.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 144
  • C Fest 148.jpg
    C Fest 148.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 150
  • C Fest 147.jpg
    C Fest 147.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 145
  • C Fest 103.jpg
    C Fest 103.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 155
Thanks David.
The next lot is that really incredible display of 1/48th scale Spitfires, presented as a Special Interest Group (SIG) by the local branch of IPMS. There were far too many to photograph in the time available, so I just chose a couple at random.

Attachments

• C Fest 103.jpg
    C Fest 103.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 153
  • C Fest 104.jpg
    C Fest 104.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 148
  • C Fest 105.jpg
    C Fest 105.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 171
  • C Fest 106.jpg
    C Fest 106.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 216
  • C Fest 107.jpg
    C Fest 107.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 152
Good set of pics Terry. I didn't realise they where by a branch...I thought one guy had done all that, and I couldn't fathom out how he hadn't gone bananas....only 14 spits done and another 28 to go !!!!:shock:

Thanks Gary and H. There were some beauties, but also some nice ones which weren't quite correct I think, in very minor ways.
More soon.

Chris, my mate Mick, who was with me, thought it was me in the Lanc. Then he remembered I'd accidentally shaved off my moustache that morning.....!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back