Mission Concerns

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
Flak and enemy fighter attacks were certainly concerning but to me the cold temperatures and use of oxygen were at the top of the list. We could dress for the cold and the 24 volt electric heated suits off set the discomfort of the cold. The use of oxygen was another story. A crewman could die in 7 minutes with out oxygen at mission altitudes. we went on oxygen at 10,000 feet and remained on it until letting down to about 15,000 feet on the return. If by chance your oxygen mask hose became disconnected you simply went to sleep without any warning. To off set this possibility, we did oxygen checks. I was assigned that responsibility. Beginning at 18,000 feet I would call for a tail to nose check from the tail, belly turret, waist gunners, radio operator and flight engineer. Each would reply "okay". I called for a check every 4 minutes during the flight. The only exception was when on the bomb run and I was preoccupied. The pilots and navigator did not respond because I could see them from the bombardiers position. We had no emergencies on the missions I flew. However, had there been one, I would have asked a near by crewman to check it out.

I thoroughly enjoy hearing about your experiences. People today don't realize that trying to fight battles at 30,000 feet was an experiment in physiology and technology-- the human body was not designed for that environment, and you guys stayed up there for hours at a time. As a physician with trauma surgery training, I can't imagine what it was like to be wounded in that environment, with no access to a medic, bleeding and in pain, in the freezing cold, and knowing that it was going to be hours before you could get help. Were any of your crew wounded on your missions?

I thoroughly enjoy hearing about your experiences. People today don't realize that trying to fight battles at 30,000 feet was an experiment in physiology and technology-- the human body was not designed for that environment, and you guys stayed up there for hours at a time. As a physician with trauma surgery training, I can't imagine what it was like to be wounded in that environment, with no access to a medic, bleeding and in pain, in the freezing cold, and knowing that it was going to be hours before you could get help. Were any of your crew wounded on your missions?
No thankfully.

Interesting. I had read that early US oxygen systems had a tendency to freeze up so the same results could have occurred even though the hose was connected. The oxygen check sounds like it performed a vital function.
The oxygen check was a potential life saver. I am not aware of a system freezing but any thing is possible. The only freezing we experienced was around the edges of the mask after it had been on your face several hours.

Flak and enemy fighter attacks were certainly concerning but to me the cold temperatures and use of oxygen were at the top of the list. We could dress for the cold and the 24 volt electric heated suits off set the discomfort of the cold..
It was the cold that resulted in my uncle being invalided out of Bomber command before heated suits. He still went on to have a great innings though, including two silver wedding anniversaries with different wives.

The talking was very limited keeping the communications system open for the pilots use.

It is my personal belief that Hollywood has encouraged the misconception of intercom communications between a bomber crew as something very relaxed, casual and unabided to any ruling.
Watching the film 'Combat America' by Clark Gables, one can notice the strict radio discipline between the crew calling in just important information and even at one point the pilot asks for quieter exchanges.

It is my personal belief that Hollywood has encouraged the misconception of intercom communications between a bomber crew as something very relaxed, casual and unabided to any ruling.
Watching the film 'Combat America' by Clark Gables, one can notice the strict radio discipline between the crew calling in just important information and even at one point the pilot asks for quieter exchanges.
Entertainment is the order of the day for Hollywood so they are less than factual on many things.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back