Model kits

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mine are mostly 1:72, but got also 1:33 (paper)

I'm a modeller till I turned about 7 years old. But these listed were made in about 3 years period of time.

I have a little tip also- If you make the models, leave them for a few years so you can get the paints, then you have made a BIG mistake! I finished a PBY-5A Catalina that I made 2-3 years ago, and when I put the decals on, only 1 of the 12 didn't break up. You have been warned...

MichaelHenley said:
I have a little tip also- If you make the models, leave them for a few years so you can get the paints, then you have made a BIG mistake! I finished a PBY-5A Catalina that I made 2-3 years ago, and when I put the decals on, only 1 of the 12 didn't break up. You have been warned...

I'm not questioning your modeler skill, but may be it's because you didn't let your decals longer enough into the water before puting them on...

I made some alterations to a model I made over a years ago. (I never touched the original paint. I only added decals.) The decals never broke up. Because I let them into the water until the decal can easily, very easily, detach from the paper.

MichaelHenley said:
Hmm. Normally I only use a saucer with water (mabe 5-8mm deep) and soak the decals in that for approx. 20 seconds. What would I have to change to get them off on an old sheet?

I don't know if I've understood exactly what you meant, but when I talked about "paper", I meant the paper wich the decals are stuck on when you buy the model kit. So I'm doing as follow :

1. If you want to keeps your decals and put them on later, leave them as they are and place them into a box.

2. When you want to use them, fill a little bowl with water and soak them in for at least 30 sec. The time you have to leave the decals in the water will vary from a company to an other. For example, Hasgawa has decals wich easily detach from the piece of paper, so 30 sec. will be enough. However, Revell-Monogram decals needs to be left into the water for longer.

3. To see if your decals are ready, keep them into the water and pass one of your fingers on it. If the decals easily moves from the paper, they're ready. Otherwise, leave them into the water for an other short while. I've already saw decals that needed more than a minute before lifting from the paper.

I know that it's not your first model, but I wanted to be clear. :D

Just thought I'd mention it, since there was no warm water mention. Maybe it was that it's too obvious... :lol:

Decals were my worst enemy when I used to build plastic models. I remember a bunch of times that I forgot the decals were soaking and when I remebered the decal had slid off the paper and was sticking to the side of the bowl, needless to say I had a bunch of decal-less models. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back