Model kits

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

yeah, how do you get the exaust smoke stuff, i'd love to put that on my models but i haven't yet as i'l proberly ruin them :lol:.................

Thank you for the kind words...

First let me apologize for the bad images, I'm not my Dad! Now THERE was a photographer...

The model is a 1/48 Hurri by Hasegawa.

The exhaust and any other tonal variations (which are mostly washed out by my poor photography) were achieved using pastels.

Fade to Black...

Right, how do you use pastels? I always see modellers in their reviews say that they applied some pastels... but they never explain what that means. Do you mean the pastel crayons for drawing?

Sorry for all the questions...

Yeah, and if that's the same pastel you use for drawing, it should stay dirty. I mean, if you touch the model, your fingers should get dirty, unless you put something over it.

They make special pastels for weathering models. You can usually find them in the model railroad section at your hobby shop.

I'm pretty lucky, being about 1/2 hour walk from Akihabara in Tokyo. There's a fantastic model shop there, with a lot of kits from different companies from all over the world. They also sell very rare and old collectors kits--some of them cost over US$5000, I kid you not.

Can't remember off-hand; I think the really expensive ones were ship models. I'll have a look when I go...

Okay, I went, but they'd just moved their stock and they hadn't put their really expensive stuff out in the case yet... There were a couple of Yamato battleship kits though going for close to $1,000 dollars...

Himmelherrgott!!!!
I have Yamato 1:400 kit, but it is made of paper and costed about 10$!
I also have many plastic 1:72 aircraft, 1:400 ships, 1:76 tanks but just can't imagine a kit that costs 1000$!

well if you've got the money and enough of a passion..................

i mean for that price they must be pretty big and amazingly detailed so it's proberly worth it.....................

Are they rare out-of-production kits or something? If they're not, that kind of money for a kit is nuts.....and so is the person who would pay that much.

THAT IS A BIT TO PRICEY :shock: but I bought myself a Yak-7v today 1:48 scale the trainer version of the fighter.............only ten quid lol :)

JCS said:
Are they rare out-of-production kits or something? If they're not, that kind of money for a kit is nuts.....and so is the person who would pay that much.

Yeah, they're for collectors really--very old, very rare kits (and very big and good quality too). Probably whoever buys it wouldn't actually build in it... And no, I don't really get it either...

but think about it, you've loved these ships and have reasearched them for you're whole life, you're old, retired and haven't got long left, using some money you've saved you forfill a life long dream to own a large scale model of one, it's all you've got to make you happy in your last years, wouldn't you want that, i know i would??

Making a model in my last years wouldn't make my life complete. Killing someone I really didn't like would...like Robbie Williams. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back