modelling Lt. Bob Hanson's F4U-1A

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fannntassstic.

You kinda overlook the effort that goes into some of these displays.

Being at the library, at Pensacola I can imagine if I were there doing some study and taking a minute out to relax my eyes, they would drift up to what you have hung above. It's a bit of a great thing you have done for the library. One hopes it will be admired for a very long time.

Goodonyah.'

Now it needs an F4F-3 of VMF-211 from Wake Island, Lt C.R. Davidson's 009 plane! Last pilot lost in the attack and given the Navy Cross posthumously.

Bill

Thanks very much, guys. I was delighted it worked out to place the model at this wonderful museum. The rubbing I made over Captain Hanson's name at the Wall of the Missing at the American Military Cemetery in Manila, PI might be eventually incorporated into this display. It is a unique size of about 5 feet long and the lettering is about an inch high, but perhaps they can do something with it and frame it somehow. With or without it, the model is meant to be a tribute to Captain Hanson, his courage and skill as a naval aviator and combat pilot in WWII and the ultimate sacrifice he made for our country almost 70 years ago.

My next or current project is redoing an ESM 85" Corsair (like the Hanson plane) that will be painted as one of the airplanes from VF-17, the original Jolly Rogers that also flew in the South Pacific in WWII. Haven't decide which plane to replicate, yet, possibly its commander, Tommy Blackburn, who had so much to do with its success in WWII. This model will be going to the Spirit of Flight Center in Erie, Colorado next spring sometime.

cheers

Davegee

We are now thinking of the idea of doing the new Corsair for the SOF in Erie Colorado in the colors of Bob Hanson's CO, Major Bob Owens, Jr. Owens had 7 kills in the Corsair and was in command of VMF-215 for a while before being shot down in combat (possibly by his very "green" wingman flying his first mission!). Owens went on to become a major general in the marine corps, and also served in Viet Nam. He passed away at the age of 90 a few years ago in Boulder Colorado, and his daughter still lives in the area. Owens himself visited the museum before he passed away. So, we might try honoring him with the Corsair paint scheme next spring and also possibly adding his daughter into the ceremony somehow. Stay tuned.

Appreciate any fieedback. I'm not sure if I'm just typing into the ether here, but appreciate anyone who wishes to discuss this project, or modeling in general.

cheers

davegee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back