Models

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Tom!!

I'm glad I've kept my diecast Lancasters in their boxes!! :shock:

Thanks.

James.

Hi all.

Oooh... :shock:

ndicki, think a New Zealander might be able to get that book??

James.

No reason why not - I'll find the name of the publisher when I get home, and Amazon or someone should be able to find it for you.

Hey ndikcki do you know where I can get some 1/35 scale figurines. I am looking for a modern US Army aircrew.

I started building my Blackhawk today and I want to make a diaragma (spelling probably all screwed up :lol:) based off of my unit when we were in Iraq. I am going to have the Blackhawk sitting in the desert and I am going to have the crew getting out of the aircraft like after a flight. Then I want to put a picture of the actual aircraft (I am going to decal one of our actual tail numbers to the model) and put a picture of our unit next to it.

Recommendation - Use 200-400 grit sandpaper for your desert sand. You can get it in sheets that are sand colored. Hell they might even be actually made out of sand (silica). I've use the grey sandpaper for tarmac concrete. Perfect.

Hey ndikcki do you know where I can get some 1/35 scale figurines. I am looking for a modern US Army aircrew.

I started building my Blackhawk today and I want to make a diaragma (spelling probably all screwed up :lol:) based off of my unit when we were in Iraq. I am going to have the Blackhawk sitting in the desert and I am going to have the crew getting out of the aircraft like after a flight. Then I want to put a picture of the actual aircraft (I am going to decal one of our actual tail numbers to the model) and put a picture of our unit next to it.

Try here - it's one of the UK's biggest dealers, so if there is anything, they should have it. Try searching manually for 1/35th figures, all manufacturers - good luck! Speaking from experience, you're going to need a lot of luck to find anything in Germany...so you might as well look in the UK.

Maestro, the tank is an American M-60A1/A3, but no idea which manufacturer.

As I said, it is from Trumpeter... I remember the logo.

Well, I missed the ICM Spits - shouldn't have, as the PRU blue MkIXc you can see is also the ICM one - the decals are rubbish, but the model is nice, if challenging!

Yeah, I corrected the decals' poor quality of ICM... I used decals from Eagel Strike instead of the ICM ones.

The ICM Mustang, I understand, is similar to the Tamiya one - so much so that certain French mags have actually accused ICM of plagiarism...

Well, Tamiya Mustangs are of greater quality... Look at my ICM model. Its wings are flat when they were supposed to point a little to the sky, while it's tail was supposed to be flat. If you want my advice, don't buy Mustangs from ICM. Pay a few more bucks and buy a Tamiya kit instead.

The vehicles and figurines are all 1/35th-1/32nd scale, you're right - in 1/48th scale, it's improving, but we're not home yet.

Yeah... ICM did a few good kits in 1/48 if you are interrested. I did a few of them myself. Two "RAF pilots and ground personnel" and one "USAAF pilots and ground personnel".

The good thing with them is that their price is relatively cheap and the quality is great. However, you need to be one hell of a painter to be able to make all of the details. I couldn't... Too damn small. But I'm still proud of my work.

What's also a good point with ICM figurines kits, is that parts are exchangable. I mean, the first time I bought the "RAF pilots and ground personnel" kit, I was surprised to see that almost all body parts were separated. So I built the first kit as told by the plan. But then I bought an ICM Spitfire kit which had the "RAF pilots and ground personnel" kit included as a bonus. So I looked at the spru and saw that I could exchange several parts to make some completely different figurines.

The original kit had 7 figurines (one pilot in flightsuit, two pilots in their "traditional" blue uniform, one WAAF, three technicians and one dog). With the second kit, I was able to make 4 different figurines.

Agreed, the ICM figures are good - my favourite is of course the WAAF - and they provide some useful accessories such as the armourer's bench and the engine maintenance platform. Not to mention the dog!

The bod in the Irvin suit, however, is completely unsuitable for Fighter Command single seaters - have you ever sat in a Spit? Bit tight, even without the goon-skins!

Pity they haven't released another set, with pilots in deckchairs listening to the wireless!

Attachments

• ICM 48th WAAF.jpg
    ICM 48th WAAF.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 108
Recommendation - Use 200-400 grit sandpaper for your desert sand. You can get it in sheets that are sand colored. Hell they might even be actually made out of sand (silica). I've use the grey sandpaper for tarmac concrete. Perfect.

Naw I am going to use Plaster and then glue fine sand to it. I dont want it to bee even. I did a project like this a while ago so I know it will work.

Try here - it's one of the UK's biggest dealers, so if there is anything, they should have it. Try searching manually for 1/35th figures, all manufacturers - good luck! Speaking from experience, you're going to need a lot of luck to find anything in Germany...so you might as well look in the UK.

Yeah I did not plan on finding anything here in Germany. I was going to order online. I went to a couple of local modeling stores here in Ansbach and all had was WW2 German, British and American figurines.

Agreed, the ICM figures are good - my favourite is of course the WAAF - and they provide some useful accessories such as the armourer's bench and the engine maintenance platform. Not to mention the dog!

Ndicki, your painting skills are unbeleivable... On my side, I gave up painting the small details like the crest on the cap and the buttons. As I said before, it's too damn small. However, I was able to paint the tie... My painting skills don't suck that much !

The bod in the Irvin suit, however, is completely unsuitable for Fighter Command single seaters - have you ever sat in a Spit? Bit tight, even without the goon-skins!

No, I never sat in a Spitfire before. But it had to be thight... I read somewhere that when they received their brand new Mustangs, some RAF pilots complained about the cockpit being too large ! Can you beleive it ?

Pity they haven't released another set, with pilots in deckchairs listening to the wireless!

Yeah... that really sucks. May be you could find what you need with an other company. But I'm ready to bet that you will have to pay the high price because they will be made of resin. I don't know for you, but I don't wanna pay 8 bucks for a single figure.

Ndicki, your painting skills are unbeleivable...

All you need is a decent paintbrush, OO or OOO, artist's quality - very expensive, they can be, but if they are well cared for, they last quite a while!

No, I never sat in a Spitfire before. But it had to be thight... I read somewhere that when they received their brand new Mustangs, some RAF pilots complained about the cockpit being too large ! Can you beleive it ?

Yes! You put on a Spit, rather than get into it - and the Bf109 was even tighter!

But I'm ready to bet that you will have to pay the high price because they will be made of resin. I don't know for you, but I don't wanna pay 8 bucks for a single figure.

No, agreed - occasionally, I have, just like with resin or etched add-on parts, but generally, I wouldn't either. It's expensive enough just as it is!

First off, me and Wurger want to estabilish a whole Models subsection. I wanted to surprise you guys, but ow it's out. I yet sent a PM to Admin twice but either he's too busy or offline, so I didn't have a reply from him. Maybe if some of the Mods know how to do this (I mean contact him), please feel free to do so.

As to this thread - Nice models Ndicki! And nice (but blurry) models of yours, Maestro. BTW, is that an Ikea bookcase? ;)

Check my other thread - the Model Magistr 2006 - in the PG.

Hi Pisis!

James here.

A "models" sub-section is a great idea. I hope we can make it happen.

Cheers.

James.

All you need is a decent paintbrush, OO or OOO, artist's quality - very expensive, they can be, but if they are well cared for, they last quite a while!

I have a OOO... That is really screwed up (I have it since I'm 15). But I found an other one in my stuff that seems quite the same size (may be a little bigger, may be an OO (it isn't identified)).

For painting the ties I used a toothpick... It does the job well but don't even try to paint a button !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back