Modern day nose art

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dice

Airman
Hi guys (and gals) first let me said a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

I didn't see a place for newbies, like myself, to say hello so I'm just going to jump in and start posting here. I'm retired AF working at Hill AFB Depot and I'm in the process of writing a book on door art of the A-10 thunderbolt II "Warthog". I believe the door art of the A-10 is linked in a lot of ways to the nose art of WWII. Also some of the art on A-10s today are taken from nose art of WWII, like the two below.

What I will be looking for, more than likely after the holidays, are pictures of these pieces of nose art on the WWII aircraft themselves. I may also be looking to find someone who could give me the OK to use a couple of images in my book, to show the link to today's A-10 door art back to WWII.

Just wanted to drop-in, say hi, and let you know I will be posting more in the future. Below are two A-10 door art which I know can be linked to aircraft in WWII. Any info (and images) of the aircraft and what happen to them would be very helpful.

Again hello and I will be talking to ya soon.

Iron Ass
81-0979.JPG

Raid Hot Mama
82-0652.JPG
[/img]

welcome to the sight and what you're doing sounds very interesting, i hope you enjoy your stay, there will be plenty of people here able to help you, unfortunatly i am not one of them :lol:

merry christmas!

And heres some other ones for ya...

Attachments

• a-10_kills_103.jpg
    a-10_kills_103.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 659
  • a-10_kills2_607.jpg
    a-10_kills2_607.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 797
  • f15noseart1_511.jpg
    f15noseart1_511.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,614
  • f15noseart4_146.jpg
    f15noseart4_146.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 581
  • noseart-02_199.jpg
    noseart-02_199.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 2,198
  • noseart-07_903.jpg
    noseart-07_903.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 710
  • noseart-11_139.jpg
    noseart-11_139.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 616
  • noseart-15_721.jpg
    noseart-15_721.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 588
  • noseart-08_195.jpg
    noseart-08_195.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 650
Lesofprimus, thanks but I have all those an a ton more. I have worked around the A-10 for 13 years, have a number of friends who have worked the A-10 from it's birth in 1975, and a few pro avition photographers like Don Logan who support my cause.

I'm just trying to connect the ones I have to their roots in WWII, Nam, or where ever that past may be.

I'm just trying to connect the ones I have to their roots in WWII
Gotcha...
Lesofprimus, thanks but I have all those an a ton more.
And all u find are 2 (two) pics to post up??? How bout showing some kill boards or battle damage pics???

U'll find that the A-10 has earned a great deal of respect here at ww2aircraft.net and that some members and Admins think its one of the greatest airplanes ever manufactured...

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days but, I started a new job (working the F-16 at depot) and I have been very busy at work... and tired after getting home. We also start 12 hour shifts the 3rd of Jan so you might not see me around much for a couple of weeks but, I will be back when I get the time.

I run a website on the A-10 so feel free to drop-in and have a look around. Some of the pages may be down because I working on updates but, most of it should be up. Here's the URL... http://www.warthogpen.com take a look at the nose/door art section and you may also like this story....

http://www.warthogpen.com/81_0987_files/81-0987.html

Talk to you guy/gals a little more this week end. 8)

book1182 said:
Great Pics... I thought the art of painting on the nose was lost or not allowed on planes anymore. They look great!!

That's why my book is tentatively titled "The Hidden art of the A-10 Thunderbolt II", most people don't know about the art tucked away behind the ladder door.

This art has also been a point of debate for the past 20+ years because some say it's nose art, and some say it isn't because, it's not visible in- flight. Today ACC doesn't allow it but the Guard, Reserves, and PACAF do. USAFE (SPANG) has allowed it for years but that changes in 2004 when the USAFE commander forced them to remove all door art because he said is was "nose art". He also made them remove the "panther's head" from the engines (which has been a trade-mark of Spang's A-10s for years) because he also believed that to be a form of nose art.

Welcome aboard Dice. Good to see a Hawg guy around. There are many fans here of that airplane. Here is a shot I took at RAF Lakenheath in 1986 of one based at RAF Woodbridge. Notice the chromed front on the Vulcan. I have a close up of it somewhere in my box of prints. I need to get some better scans soon.

Attachments

• 0a_10_1986_2_134.jpg
    0a_10_1986_2_134.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 387
Agreed I like it better than the grey paint. Much harder to see them though in the distance when they are painted grey. That is one reason they are starting to paint our helicopters grey. My units probably wont get painted until next generation however.

evangilder said:
Welcome aboard Dice. Good to see a Hawg guy around. There are many fans here of that airplane. Here is a shot I took at RAF Lakenheath in 1986 of one based at RAF Woodbridge. Notice the chromed front on the Vulcan. I have a close up of it somewhere in my box of prints. I need to get some better scans soon.

Nice shot, that would be the demo jet out of "Woody". Not to be a know-it-all but the gun in the A-10 is the Avenger (30mm) not the Vulcan (20mm).

I liked the green but the "ghost gray" is still a kick-a$$ scheme. 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back