Monagram 1/48 P-61A

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have one shot of a clear nose, but, I am doing the clear and then going to "frost" it for the opaque fiberglass look. The GW B has a clear nose. Most early A models had the unpainted nose, and I'm doing one of the first 31 with a gun turret. OD over Nutrual gray. Or at least that's the plan. I only get about two days a week at best. I'm dedicated on a Dollar Tree account so I'm normally home Sunday night through Tuesday evening. Then, like now, I'm on the lot of my first delivery at 0500 hrs Wensday. Then I go back to Oklahoma for a new load and do the same in NE Oklahoma area on Saturday. Hey it works.

WORK??? Let me think a moment,,,,Oh Yea...Now I remember. As I have gotten older and wiser (sounds good anyway) I discovered that there are six things that I really loved about my job. Pay day, lunch time, quitting time, vacation time, holidays, and of course retirement.

This is Yp-61A from Northrop P-612 Black Widow "The Complete Hisory and Combat record by Gatty Pape with John M. and Donna |Campbell

Attachments

• 20170313_174407.jpg
    20170313_174407.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 59
Yes I know, fully versed but the the standard early radomes were very translucent. that is what I am trying to do. Will I make it? Well we will have to see.

Well it took a bit of doing but By Jove I think I've got it! Talked to Dale about the flanges that were showing up when I tried to VF this nose. He suggested to raise it up a but. I still had some bad shots but by gluing everything down so it would not jump when I brought the plastic down and raising it up higher it looks like I got the nose I wanted.
20170319_164711.jpg
20170319_164718.jpg
20170319_164728.jpg

Nicely done there Don.
A thin coat of matt clear varnish could possibly replicate the translucent look.

Thanks guys, I am going to experiment with some of the failures first but I was thinking about putting in a drop or so super glue and letting it dry frosting from the inside. I bought the SAC metal gear to use on the nose. I tried some model clay to make the molds I want but it fell apart in the oven, wrong clay. I'm going to redue the plaster molds so they are two part. I want the nose wheel and the nose wheel well roof in lead. I don't have much time to work on it so slow goes the build. It's been interesting and enjoyable.

Superglue might work for the frosting, but there won't be much control over the 'flow' to achieve an even appearance. Also, clear sheet often does not 'frost' from the CA fumes.
Try the matt clear, on the inside of one spare nose on one section, and the outside on another section, to see which side looks best.
I've used the technique to simulate frosted glass and it worked quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back