Monogram SBD Dauntless Nosatlgia build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maxrobot1

Senior Airman
Sep 28, 2009
One day I stopped in at the local A.C. Moore craft store. The chain went under from the Covid shutdown, but before then I wandered in and saw in they had one kit of the re-released 1/48 Monogram SBD Dauntless. I had a 40% off coupon burning a hole in my pocket and walked out with a piece of my history.
I built that kit (I'm sure with the help of my Dad) back when I was about 9 or 10 years old in the 1960s. Back then I painted the undersides Testor's gloss white and played with it and the dropping bomb feature.
When I got home with the new kit, I was pleased that it was the same kit, from the same molds. Working dive flaps, retractable landing gear and flight deck figure to boot! the new kit was molded in grey, not the dark blue I remembered. I used decals form my leftovers collection and took the time to open the holes in the dive flaps.
It is not often these days that someone can relive the wonderful days of youth when you cares and worries were limited to school and your immediate neighborhood.
I hand brushed the Dauntless with Testor's Model master paints. I took some photos in my basement and edited out my fingers!
102_6407j.jpg
IMG_1599.JPG

Recently there was a short Facebook video of a restored SBD-5 in flight.
I admit that even after years & years of exposure to FB absurdities, I was taken aback when a chap exclaimed
JAPANESE VAL!
Apparently he was not a troller because he seemed insulted at being corrected.
Break-break
Dauntless & Wildcat.jpg

Anyway, congrats on a fine job with the model. It's well rendered along the lines of our A-24B restored as an SBD-5 in the 1970s.

Rob, I think there are perhaps 5 airworthy SBDs/A-24s. For obscure reasons the FAA's aircraft registry page remains down, although you can get tons of info about registering drones, etc.
Anyway: the FM-2 remains a popular warbird because of its simplicity (read: low expense) and performance. Only drawback is the hand-crank landing gear which as I recall is/was 29 turns and one to lock.

I didn't know there were any flying SBD's let alone that many airworthy. That actually cheered me up. Could the "Wilder" Wildcat be so popular because GM was cranking out so many that those were the airframes still on CONUS by war's end??

Last edited:
SBD ...I hope I can see a flying example here in the UK...but now aged 70 I am becoming time expired :) I can remember the Monogram(?) 1/48 or 1/32 for sale in the mid 1970s in a model shop in Lincoln. Your kit looks great, as a Brit I always admired Anyone who flew from a carrier or over the sea as part of their 'war'.

There is one flying around in the US at least. Saw it in small shows in New Orleans lakefront airport, last time in 2018. Sorry for the low-quality cell phone pics.

Attachments

• 20181013_151224.jpg
    20181013_151224.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20181013_152401.jpg
    20181013_152401.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 23
Rob, I think there are perhaps 5 airworthy SBDs/A-24s. For obscure reasons the FAA's aircraft registry page remains down, although you can get tons of info about registering drones, etc.
Anyway: the FM-2 remains a popular warbird because of its simplicity (read: low expense) and performance. Only drawback is the hand-crank landing gear which as I recall is/was 29 turns and one to lock.

The same airshow had an FM-2 and I was impressed with it's performance. All they called it was a Wildcat. Someone working there was complaining that the pilot-owner had a rep as being a little reckless, but the stubby little plane was performing wild loops and rolls, hammerhead turns and immelmans, with dramtic low altitude pullouts, and it seemed every bit as peppy as the other fighters there (including a Corisair and a P-63) if not more so. It definitely improved my perception of Wildcats / Martlets! I found out later it was an FM-2 which partly explains it. Again, apologies for the quality of the bad cell phone photos.

Attachments

• 20181013_140808.jpg
    20181013_140808.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20181013_152239.jpg
    20181013_152239.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 29

Users who are viewing this thread

Back