Mosquito vs The Rest

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The glues were cold water glues. Originally Cascemite glue which is made from casein extracted from cow's milk. After mid 44 the glue was changed to Aerolite Urea Formaldehyde.

You can still buy both Cascemite is made by Humbrol iirc and is a brilliant glue for dovetailing because you mix it from powder and can easily control the consistency and prevent runs whilst having good strength. Aerolite is still used for model aeroplanes and boats.

That's real nice work, Altsym; I like the exhaust ports, too.
Thanks again. Funny little story. I probably couldn't fly a real plane if my life depended on it. Most of the real commercial pilots I see at our flying field,
couldn't fly these scale replicas if their life depended on it. I have no clue as to why. They're built to fly almost exactly like there real life counterparts.

I don't believe they had adequate resins which could work with alloy , when I built my race cars I had a major problem identifying glues that worked with different materials, I think it was Redux we ended up using, aluminium is a bit of a bitch to bond to!

The key to the adhesive is chemical setting, i.e. crosslinking rather than solvent evaporation. The Ta-154 used a phenolic impregnated sheet (Tego) that cured with heat. However, when the Tego plant was destroyed by bombing, the substitute was unsatisfactory leading to failures and abandonment of the project.

I am both a private pilot and also flew RC for about 15 years. I would like to do so again.

About the real pilots not being able to fly the models, there are two or three thing at work there. As you know, real pilots use their feet for rudder, noit their left thumb. Also, when an RC is flying away from you there is little problem. When it turns around and starts flying back at you, the elevator is the same but aileron reverses, and that takes some getting used to.When you are inverted, elevator and rudder are reversed by aileron stays the same as when upright. Last, there is no "feel" for when the aircraft is about to stall ... that comes from experience.

Back in the bad old days, we tried to stay about 2-mistake height or higher. Today, with a trainer cord option, you can let the novice fly lower and closer in safety. Personally, I have trained maybe 10 people with a trainer cord and ALL learned much quicker than when we had to use just one transmitter.

Nice 109! I've never flown one, but have flown scale Fw 190's, a Thunderbolt, several Mustangs and one scale Spitfire. Mostly I prefer semi-scale since you can scale down the plane but you can't scale down the air. Semi-scale let's you use a slightly thicker-than-scale airfoil and retain good flying characteristics. Most actual scale planes I have flown had rather bad flying characteristics. I hope your flies well since it looks great!

Would love to try a scale Mosquito and would not care which mark was modeled. They all look good to me. Have seen one scale Sea Hornet fly (at an Arizona meet) and it was absolutely beautiful in flight.

Sorry for responding to the off-topic ... perhaps we should start an RC thread?

I don't believe they had adequate resins which could work with alloy , when I built my race cars I had a major problem identifying glues that worked with different materials, I think it was Redux we ended up using, aluminium is a bit of a bitch to bond to!

Wiki says it was Redux that was used on the dH Hornet, specifically: "In the case of the Hornet it was used to join the aluminium lower-wing skin to the wooden upper wing structure, and in the fabrication of the aluminium/wood main wing spar, both forms of composite construction made possible by the advent of Redux."

The first formaldehyde glues used in Mossie construction came quite early. Of the first four Mossies sent out to India (mid-43, from memory), two had casein, two formaldehyde. The intent was to simply park the aircraft on airfields and observe how they aged, however the aircraft were pressed into service. The later difficulties with FB,VIs in India / Burma were down to production issues at Standard Motors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back