Most Beautiful Aircraft of WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, they are real beauties.

T-6CropSM.jpg

I do have to admit that I like the Merlin Mustangs overall, the D model especially for appearance and success, the F-82 and P-51H for performance and making it into production, and the F/G models for performance potential and combining the lines of the D and H models.

There is only one answer, and it's a Spitfire Mk.Vb.

View attachment 718532

Pretty much any early-model Spitfire is physically perfect - they're not as good once you start modifying the wings; but it's the two 20mm Hispanos that make this one the winner...
Is there any other aircraft made by Vickers-Supermarine that came close to the beauty of the Spitifre? This is the same firm that made the Nighthawk.

It's too bad Mitchell didn't live into the 1940s, where I'm sure his Attacker, Swift and Scimitar would have been prettier, if not faster.

Is there any other aircraft made by Vickers-Supermarine that came close to the beauty of the Spitifre? This is the same firm that made the Nighthawk.
The Schneider racers were gorgeous, though they're built for straight-and-low and the wing shape's much more straightforward...
It's too bad Mitchell didn't live into the 1940s, where I'm sure his Attacker, Swift and Scimitar would have been prettier, if not faster.
Wasn't there a view at the time that they would have done better to just keep the existing wing?

I was going to say "at least we had the P.1"...

1683050857610.jpg

And then I remembered what they did to the fuselage to create the production Lightning...

The Schneider racers were gorgeous, though they're built for straight-and-low and the wing shape's much more straightforward...
True. In March 2022 I visited the British Science Museum in London where I took this photo of the Schneider racer. The hall is a bit crowded with aircraft, though it's neat to see the Spitfire and Schneider racer together.

IMG_20220402_1133473.jpg

IMG_20220402_1135499.jpg

Last edited:

Wasn't there a view at the time that they would have done better to just keep the existing wing?

I was going to say "at least we had the P.1"...

View attachment 718833

And then I remembered what they did to the fuselage to create the production Lightning...
Who designs a fighter but forgets to include space for the fuel? I'll forgive Petter this one since his Whirlwind, Canberra and Gnat are good 'uns.

tn_Whirlwind-28.jpg

When I visited the museum I also saw the Armstrong Siddeley Tiger engine. Had this engine concern remained part of Supermarine-Vickers I bet the money, talent and time could have been found to beef up the (or add the omitted) bearing surfaces and create Britain's first twin row, poppet-valve radial engine. That'll show Bristol where the future lays and maybe they'd give Fedden and his sleeve valve diversions the shove.

IMG_20220402_1153245.jpg

Though the pushrod tubs look a little dainty.

Last edited:
True. In March 2022 I visited the British Science Museum in London where I took this photo of the Schneider racer. The hall is a bit crowded with aircraft, though it's neat to see the Spitfire and Schneider racer together.

View attachment 718835

View attachment 718836
No argument, is there?

Who designs a fighter but forgets to include space for the fuel? I'll forgive Petter this one since his Whirlwind, Canberra and Gnat are good 'uns.
Petter designed the P.1 for two slender Armstrong-Whitworth Sapphires, with which the prototypes could supercruise at something like Mach 1.5 and had a comparatively decent range, especially with the conformal belly-pod, which apparently (and I'm doing this from memory of something I read years ago) had the accidental area-rule effect of making it even more aerodynamic at transonic speeds than its drag-defying high-wing design already was, thus reducing the power (and fuel) it needed to get up through the sound barrier...

Whatever the precise details, the range issues came when other people insisted on giving the production Lightning afterburning Rolls Royce engines, which required a big draggy fuselage and hideous fuel-consumption; the resulting aircraft was even faster on reheat, but... well, neither so pretty nor as much of an all-rounder...?

Complete agreement on the earlier types, though!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back