Most Beautiful Aircraft of WW2? (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Of all the WWII jets, operational or close to it, the He280 had the best looks, to be honest.

View attachment 716668

Aside from the Ar 234 which is so sleek and elegant, I always loved how the Me-262 looked so much like a shark -- I could see deadly purpose in its lines, it looks like a mako. The He-280, not so much, but eh, that's taste for ya. I think it's the twin-tail that ruins it for me, it just looks anachronistic. It's otherwise a handsome aircraft.

handsome.

1280px-Boeing_314_Clipper-cropped.jpg

Boeing_314_Yankee_Clipper_1939.jpg

Such a gorgeous aircraft.

Aside from the Ar 234 which is so sleek and elegant, I always loved how the Me-262 looked so much like a shark -- I could see deadly purpose in its lines, it looks like a mako. The He-280, not so much, but eh, that's taste for ya. I think it's the twin-tail that ruins it for me, it just looks anachronistic. It's otherwise a handsome aircraft.

handsome.
The Me262 has an aggressive, killer look to it - there is absolutely no other jet of it's day that looked as lethal.

But for aesthetics, where form follows function, the He280 delivers. It was a graceful, well armed machine that had it's lines rooted in the golden age of 1930's aviation design and it shows.

The Me262 has an aggressive, killer look to it - there is absolutely no other jet of it's day that looked as lethal.

But for aesthetics, where form follows function, the He280 delivers. It was a graceful, well armed machine that had it's lines rooted in the golden age of 1930's aviation design and it shows.
The 262 always looked like a shark to me.

How about an Fw 190Z?

10492631276_4c10998809_b.jpg

Never built one, but it DOES look interesting, at least to me.

They should have a small cockpit on the starboard side big enough for two kegs of beer. If you're gonna' go high, you might as well refrigerate something!

Or the jet version:

baker190xb.jpg

Looks like an early Yak jet without red stars on it, but it DOES have a good fighter pedigree. That nose has nothing on Jimmy Durante.

How about an Fw 190Z?

View attachment 716829

Never built one, but it DOES look interesting, at least to me.

They should have a small cockpit on the starboard side big enough for two kegs of beer. If you're gonna' go high, you might as well refrigerate something!

Or the jet version:

View attachment 716830

Looks like an early Yak jet without red stars on it, but it DOES have a good fighter pedigree. That nose has nothing on Jimmy Durante.
Well at least you've found a mission for it.

There's always a mission for anything as heavy-hitting as the Fw 190Z. It would likely have many heavy cannons, making it a tough armament package to get past.

Last edited:
I'm surprised they found room in that fuselage for a jet engine.
The P-35/P-43/P-47 were based on a two seat airplane; Maj Seversky used to carry his wife with him in his P-35. That extra room proved to be very important when it came to accommodating the turbosupercharger and air to air intercooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back