Most Beautiful Aircraft of WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dark blue of the US Naval planes was pretty nice, too....

View attachment 722784
Did the Brits use the same USN blue for their lend lease aircraft when choosing a solid colour rather than FAA camo? It would seem the easiest thing to do, everyone gets USN blue and then just change the roundels and marking.

Edit: the FAA scheme above looks more greenish blue than the USN below.

Last edited:
Did the Brits use the same USN blue for their lend lease aircraft when choosing a solid colour rather than FAA camo? It would seem the easiest thing to do, everyone gets USN blue and then just change the roundels and marking.

For later deliveries of the Corsair, yes the FAA did use the USN blue colour.

Edit: the FAA scheme above looks more greenish blue than the USN below.

Since both machines are restored warbirds, there's no guarantee that either shade is even remotely close to the colour applied during WW2...and that's before we consider different lighting conditions, different camera settings, any filters fitted to the camera etc. etc.

All I said was the USN dark blue was pretty nice.

Natural Metal Finish would be my favorite although there are quite a few others I favor as well. As a side note, back when I was still teaching (architecture professor) I developed a history/theory course that focused on architecture in the U.S from 1945 to the present. The first pair of slides I used were of a bare metal P-51 and B-29 and asked the class to discuss how the planes' paint schemes reflected America's self-perception at the time. It was one of my favorite class sessions to teach.

If they were NMF nothing would say "this is a fighter Airfield better than a dozen polished aluminium Spitfires parked in the countryside.

asked the class to discuss how the planes' paint schemes reflected America's self-perception at the time. It
I think it ironic that in late WWII, the USA was the country most able to paint its aircraft anything it wanted and the only one that did not paint so many of them at all. The Japanese did not paint some, or not very much, but I think that was because they were out of paint.

Paint on military aircraft is designed to camouflage them. The US was saying, "We don't care if you can see us! We are going to kick your butts!"

I read where a WWII Luftwaffe pilot saw a large flight of aircraft at high altitude and wondered who it was.
Then there was flash of light on polished metal and he said, "Oh! Its THEM!"

The first airplane I ever flew in was a natural metal SC ANG C-54. The first jet I got to fly in and the first that I got to handle the controls on was a unpainted USAF T-33A.
Want to guess what my personal aircraft looks like?

And yes, I need to go polish it. It does not look quite that good right now.

Users who are viewing this thread