Most Beautiful Aircraft of WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Anyone else feel all warm and fuzzy for the Avro Anson and/or Bristol Bolingbroke?

1688524913241.png

1688524938375.png

Lot of very interesting answers to this topic !

My vote goes to the FW-190A for its agressive but harmonious and fluid shapes. Ki-43 as a close second (without that damn antenna mast on the engine cowling would have been my favorite haha) .

For bombers, I always find the Do 17Z nice and quite elegant to look at.

How about a P-51 with some of the lines of the XP-51F/G and H (namely engine cowling on the F/G, and all three's radiator ducting/scoop), with the proportions of the D/H (namely length), how would that look?

I'd imagine that it would look like a single fuselage, conventionally winged, shorter tailed version of this:

01_00022513.jpg

Granted, I don't think the H or the F-82 look that bad either.

01_00022486.jpg

01_00002926.jpg

All are period images/illustrations from NAA taken in period from San Diego Air and Space Museum's collections (which they have print and digitized photos on sale from their collection, and can be viewed in a small format on Flickr, which is useful if you want to order some).

Also, the D is IMO a bit of a looker. I tend to favor the F/G/H and the F-82, not just for looks and performance, but because they were also designed to be an advanced airframe while being easy to work on and user/production friendly.

Last edited:
In the second series of photos, does anyone know what the parasol airplane under restoration is? I was looking for a lower wing root but I couldn't make one out.

Last edited:
About halfway down, on the right, there is a picture of a Mustang fuselage frame. Behind it, in the background, under the scaffolding, is the airframe of what appears to me to be a parasol airplane. Look for the wing structure on the wall. It's under that.

About halfway down, on the right, there is a picture of a Mustang fuselage frame. Behind it, in the background, under the scaffolding, is the airframe of what appears to me to be a parasol airplane. Look for the wing structure on the wall. It's under that.
Oh, that's not a plane, that there is plane 'ol ribs! 'em is really good!

Last edited:
My eyes are shot. I just couldn't make out where the lower wings are attached.
The lower wing's leading edge will start about a foot back from the main gear, and the wing would be situated near the bottom two stringers.

Hard to see because of the angle of the photo and the plastic draped over the fuselage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back