Most Beautiful Aircraft of WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I like the Potez 56. Perhaps the first COD?

potez560-2.jpg

potez56-1.jpg

potez56-1.gif

Still like the LW Mustangs. Michael O'Leary's Book about P-51 Mustang production has some good development shots and such of the XP-51F/G/J and the P-51H (though nothing really on the XP-82/F-82). I think that Boeing (who have for over 25 years owned North American Rockwell/Rockwell) have a lot of the good stuff, like a high res version of this shot:

North American P-51H Mustang_0002-modified.jpg

At least this shot proves that the F/G/J were functional and did fly, since it seems that North American never took any shots of them air to air unlike the H and every other Mustang going back to the NA-73X.

The Potez 662 is nice. Except for a very few repurposed de Havilland Albatross the British would not have a four engined transport until nearly postwar with the Avro York.

View attachment 727900
Hi
That is a very bold statement, I take it you do not know about the Armstrong Whitworth AW.27 Ensign (14 built) or the earlier AW.15 Atalanta (8 built), Ensign and Atalanta below:
Image_20230704_0001.jpg

Image_20230704_0002.jpg

The images are from 'British Commercial Aircraft, Their Evolution, Development and Perfection 1920-1940' by Arthur W J Ord-Hume, details can also be found in 'British Civil Aircraft 1919-1972: Volume I' by A J Jackson (and indeed a lot of other publications). There was only one Potez 662 built, F-ARAY and one earlier Potez 661, F-AQJB, (details from 'European Transport Aircraft since 1910' by John Stroud, page 185. The outbreak of WW2 basically led to a halt in 'civil' aircraft production as the factories were needed to build more military aircraft. However, the civil aircraft that were around were heavily used, image from 'Blitzed!' by Victor Bingham, page 95, showing an Ensign in the Battle of France:
Image_20230704_0003.jpg

The last passenger trip in the Ensign took place on 3 June 1946, although the type was officially retired in 1945.

Mike

I meant air force aircraft, not civilian use. But these two are new to me.
Hi
Well both the Ensign and Atalanta were used by the RAF, the five remaining Atalantas were impressed by the 'Indian Air Force' in 1941 with RAF serial numbers. Two of the Ensigns were on the strength of No. 24 Sqn. from May to November 1940, before returning to 'civil' use, much of which was 'military' in nature. So probably more used as "air force" aircraft than the single Potez 662, if that is the aircraft you want to compare with.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back