Most Beautiful Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It allways reminded me of a Fw-190 in some sort of way.

Actually like a cross between a Fw-190 and a Corsair as a matter of fact.

It allways reminded me of a Fw-190 in some sort of way.

Actually like a cross between a Fw-190 and a Corsair as a matter of fact.

15th USAAF pilots and crews who encountered them logged them in their reports as "Strangely marked early-model Fw-190s", they did not know until long after the war that it was completely different aircraft.

I knew a B-24 radio operator/gunner in the 15th AAF (who unfortunately passed away 2 years ago) who refused to believe that they were not 190's, even when I showed him photos and articles on the IAR and pointed out the differences. He insisted that they were "Yellow-nosed Focke-Wulfs".

I really (in my narrow American aviation world) had no previous knowledge
of the IAR 80 aircraft. I looked up some photo's, and have to say that
I don't see anything special in them. In any event, they wouldn't be
on my top 100 list (or top 500) of beautiful designs. Capable they may have
been, but they just don't do anything for my eye.

with the very slight exception of the wing shape i don't think she looks anything like a -190, although she is good looking as she looks so much like a racer............

yes i believe i said corsair one of the last times this was discussed, but -190's pushing it, like i say i think only the wing shape is similar, the nose doesn't ring any bells with the D for me........

... Hughes H-1 Racer:

33947.jpg

Yeah that is similar. Almost a rip-off. :) Corsair also had roots in the Hughes racer?

BTW - the P-38 pilots that got shot down by the IAR80s thougth that they were Fw190s. But I must say they don't really look too similar - other than aircooled with spinner dome.

In the middle of combat you might.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back