Most innovative aircraft of WW2 ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Try this;

Budd RB Conestoga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It may not have been the first with several features and it may not have been a success but after the rotary wing aircraft most everything else is just variations. 6 engine transport vs 4 engine transport and so on.

Nice one. That is new to me. I can see why you choose the Budd too.
Cheers
John

The Caproni-Campini CC.2

On 27 August, 1940, the first prototype was tested for 10 minutes over the Taliedo airfield by the great pilot, Mario De Bernardi (Schneider Trophy winner of 1926, RT). On 16 September that same year it was flown for another 5 minutes, thus undergoing the acceptance flight test in order that the second prototype was upgraded. The latter made its maiden flight on 11 April, 1941. On 30 November, 1941, at 2:47 pm, Mario De Bernardi and Ing. Giovanni Pedace flew the second prototype on an official flight from the airport of Milan Linate and that of Rome Guidonia. After flying over Pisa, they landed at 4:58 pm after covering 475.554 km at the average speed of 217.147 km/h. According to the pilot's wish, the afterburner was never actuated in order to save fuel.

The flight was a tremendous success, so much so that Mussolini personally complimented De Bernardi, and low-altitude flights were made over Rome, preceded by announcements repeatedly broadcast by radio. The event took the world by storm, and no less than 33 countries congratulated the Italian government. These flights were recognized by the F.A.I. (Fédération Aéronautique Internationale) to be the first ever made by a jet. Truth to tell, the plan conceived by the German, Hans von Ohain, and the Heinkel group, whereby the extraordinary He.178 aircraft was flown precisely a year before, on 27th August, 1939, had been kept secret.

finnit_n1.jpg

The engine designed by Ing. Campini had many other drawbacks. That is, it was heavy and bulky, the type of engine used to drive the compressor was rather complex, the efficiency of the burner was low - although it came close to the best possible performance of the day -, and maximum power was considerably limited. This is why the German design - which came into use when World War II was drawing to an end, is the forerunner of the modern jet engines, while the Italian version has a purely historical value

Ducted fan with three rotors, of which two are rotating, and one is fixed (a "fixed rotor" is a contradiction within itself, RT); burners provide 700 kg thrust; engine of the compressor, 900 hp Isotta Fraschini L. 121/R.C. 40; length, 12.10 m; height, 4.70 m; span, 14.63 m; wing area, 36 sq m; weight empty, 3,640 kg; total weight, 4,217 kg; useful load, 577 kg; maximum speed at an altitude of 3,000 m without burner, 325 km/h; maximum speed at an altitude of 3,000 m with burner, 359.5 km/h; climb, 1,000 m in 9 min. (with burner); maximum altitude attained in the course of acceptance flight tests, 4,000 m.

cc_motore_bigmuseoscienza.gif

The Engine of the CC-2 Aircraft
Like a gun, which 'reacts' with a quick backward movement (i.e. the recoil) when a projectile is shot forward at high speed, a jet engine derives its thrust by reaction to its high-speed ejection of combustion products, and by the expansion of heated air, which is pushed out at a higher speed than when the air is drawn in. (After all, ordinary propellers work in a similar way. They accelerate backwards the air mass that moves through their rotating blades.) These introductory remarks are meant to help our visitors gain an insight into the workings of Ing. Campini's thermojet. It is, in effect, to be considered more as a hybrid than as a jet engine proper. An internal combustion engine characterized by reciprocating motion of pistons in its cylinder - in this case, a 900 hp Isotta Fraschini L. 121/R.C. 40 engine - drove a compressor incorporating 2 ducted propellers and a propeller designed to direct the flow and minimize the breakdown of the smooth airflow. A ring of injectors (i.e. the burners) introduced kerosine, whose combustion increased the volume of the thermojet and the exhaust velocity.

IFAsso750VignadiValleaGhedi.jpg

Try this;

Budd RB Conestoga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It may not have been the first with several features and it may not have been a success but after the rotary wing aircraft most everything else is just variations. 6 engine transport vs 4 engine transport and so on.

Nice one. That is new to me. I can see why you choose the Budd too.
Cheers
John

Great choice Shortround 6! I can sadly report that as of last year the condition of the Conestoga remains the same as the Wikipedia photo indicates. This aircraft has been at Pima for decades and I doubt it will be restored. Last year I returned to Pima for the first time in 20 years. The improvements were spectacular. I encourage all members to visit as it is well worth the 2 hour drive from Phoenix.

WWII was the end of the piston engine military aircraft era. Not many aircraft ideas which hadn't already been tried (in cruder form) during WWI. Even the helicopter was a WWI invention.

We could include WWII aircraft weapons systems. A few come to mind.
- Folding fin rocket. Introduced during the final year of the war. Newer versions are still a main weapon for attack helicopters.
- Cluster bombs. Introduced at the beginning of WWII and still in widespread use.
- Guided air to surface weapons such as the Hs-293 and Fritz X.

Jet engines, Rockets, RADAR for not only detection, but targeting, guided weapons, ejection seats, etc. There were so many advances during WWII, it's hard to pick just one. The B-29 was the most advanced bomber of it's time with pressurized compartments and remote turrets.

The Caproni-Campini CC.2

On 27 August, 1940, the first prototype was tested for 10 minutes over the Taliedo airfield by the great pilot, Mario De Bernardi (Schneider Trophy winner of 1926, RT). On 16 September that same year it was flown for another 5 minutes, thus undergoing the acceptance flight test in order that the second prototype was upgraded. The latter made its maiden flight on 11 April, 1941. On 30 November, 1941, at 2:47 pm, Mario De Bernardi and Ing. Giovanni Pedace flew the second prototype on an official flight from the airport of Milan Linate and that of Rome Guidonia. After flying over Pisa, they landed at 4:58 pm after covering 475.554 km at the average speed of 217.147 km/h. According to the pilot's wish, the afterburner was never actuated in order to save fuel.

The flight was a tremendous success, so much so that Mussolini personally complimented De Bernardi, and low-altitude flights were made over Rome, preceded by announcements repeatedly broadcast by radio. The event took the world by storm, and no less than 33 countries congratulated the Italian government. These flights were recognized by the F.A.I. (Fédération Aéronautique Internationale) to be the first ever made by a jet. Truth to tell, the plan conceived by the German, Hans von Ohain, and the Heinkel group, whereby the extraordinary He.178 aircraft was flown precisely a year before, on 27th August, 1939, had been kept secret.

View attachment 179582

The engine designed by Ing. Campini had many other drawbacks. That is, it was heavy and bulky, the type of engine used to drive the compressor was rather complex, the efficiency of the burner was low - although it came close to the best possible performance of the day -, and maximum power was considerably limited. This is why the German design - which came into use when World War II was drawing to an end, is the forerunner of the modern jet engines, while the Italian version has a purely historical value

Ducted fan with three rotors, of which two are rotating, and one is fixed (a "fixed rotor" is a contradiction within itself, RT); burners provide 700 kg thrust; engine of the compressor, 900 hp Isotta Fraschini L. 121/R.C. 40; length, 12.10 m; height, 4.70 m; span, 14.63 m; wing area, 36 sq m; weight empty, 3,640 kg; total weight, 4,217 kg; useful load, 577 kg; maximum speed at an altitude of 3,000 m without burner, 325 km/h; maximum speed at an altitude of 3,000 m with burner, 359.5 km/h; climb, 1,000 m in 9 min. (with burner); maximum altitude attained in the course of acceptance flight tests, 4,000 m.

View attachment 179583

The Engine of the CC-2 Aircraft
Like a gun, which 'reacts' with a quick backward movement (i.e. the recoil) when a projectile is shot forward at high speed, a jet engine derives its thrust by reaction to its high-speed ejection of combustion products, and by the expansion of heated air, which is pushed out at a higher speed than when the air is drawn in. (After all, ordinary propellers work in a similar way. They accelerate backwards the air mass that moves through their rotating blades.) These introductory remarks are meant to help our visitors gain an insight into the workings of Ing. Campini's thermojet. It is, in effect, to be considered more as a hybrid than as a jet engine proper. An internal combustion engine characterized by reciprocating motion of pistons in its cylinder - in this case, a 900 hp Isotta Fraschini L. 121/R.C. 40 engine - drove a compressor incorporating 2 ducted propellers and a propeller designed to direct the flow and minimize the breakdown of the smooth airflow. A ring of injectors (i.e. the burners) introduced kerosine, whose combustion increased the volume of the thermojet and the exhaust velocity.

View attachment 179584

Thank you for posting this Mr Ratsel. The Italians were very clever engineers. Hardly surprising given the innovations in their car / racing industry.
Cheers
John

What is inovative about building a aircraft out of wood ? It certainly had been done before. The plywood- balsa wood sandwich might have been a inovation, might have been one of it's flaws too. Where did Britain get balsa wood from ?

What is inovative about building a aircraft out of wood ? It certainly had been done before. The plywood- balsa wood sandwich might have been a inovation, might have been one of it's flaws too. Where did Britain get balsa wood from ?

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafbramptonwy...files/9818FCBF_1143_EC82_2ED93F5D8312A0C6.pdf

The genius of the aircraft's construction lay in the innovative and somewhat unorthodox use of seemingly commonplace materials and techniques.
The bulk of the Mosquito was made of plywood. Stronger and lighter than most grades of plywood, this special plywood was produced by a
combination of 3/8" sheets of Ecuadorean balsawood sandwiched between sheets of Canadian birch plywood. Like a deck of cards, sheets of wood
alternated with sheets of a special casein-based (Later formaldehyde) wood glue.
Forming the fuselage was done in concrete moulds. Left and right sides of the fuselage were fitted with bulkheads and structural members
separately while the glue cured. Reinforcing was done with hundreds of small brass wood screws. This arrangement greatly simplified the
installation of hydraulic lines and other fittings, as the two halves of the fuselage were open for easy access by workers. The two halves of the
fuselage were then glued and bolted together, and covered with doped Madapolam fabric.
The wings were also made of wood. To increase strength, the wings were made as one single assembly, onto which the fuselage, once both halves
had been mated, was lowered and attached.

Cheers
John

Hard to call, an airplane with wings and an engine would not be all that unique or innovative.

I found electric propellers, turbo supercharging, and water injection to be the more innovative components of some aircraft.

Usually, the more innovative aircraft never flew in the war.

See XP-63H, not so much the airplane, but the engine design.

Blohm Voss BV141 deserves a mention.
Fieseler Fi 156 Storch
Dornier Do 335
But the winner is the Boeing B-29....it is the winner...by a country mile.

I'll say either the Focke-Achgelis Fa 223 Drache or the Flettner Fl 282 Kolibri. I think they were the first true helicopters and showed the world the potential they had.

I'd suggest that the composite construction of the Mosquito made it moe innovative than most otehr wood aircraft. Or that some actually though to build an unarmed bomber.

I think the Mossie is innovative for more than its construction. I was innovative in being unlike accepted practice it did not have defensive guns. It relied on speed, cunning, and stealth for defense. Does this sound like something that may have set a precedent for emphasis in many post-war bomber designs?

The Mossie could be built (and was) by Britain's furniture industry - that's what's innovative about it and its value-added to the British war effort. :)

MM

The Mosquito may have been the best Schnellbomber, but it certainly didn't pioneer the concept.

The B-29 because it was pressurized and round. A cylinder is the strongest way to built a pressurized aircraft. The Dreamliner, just now going into service, is round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back