Most Unattractive Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'll give the Hampden an "honorable mention", but after seeing what the French offered, it's only that, a mention.
If they're unwanted and unloved I opt to send all the Hampdens to Malaya in 1940.

Torpedo capable...

HallidayLead.jpg

...with a good bomb load...

640px-Loading_bombs_onto_a_World_War_II_Handley_Page_Hampden_%284821425043%29.jpg

....rather agile...

Commence earlier, increase and expedite their Canadian production if domestic units are needed for UK defence, Canadian Associated Aircraft - Wikipedia.

Last edited:
Neat bit of trivia about the A/C in post #177 - it was designed to be held together with screws. The reports from the unlucky air and ground crews from the time reported "buckets of screws would be found inside after every flight." While undoubtedly a bit of an exaggeration, it does not speak well for the continued airworthiness of an airframe, if it constantly and continuously loses fasteners! That aircraft was that designers first (and last) foray into airframe design and building. IIRC, the single example built crashed, after shedding its tail on a cargo flight...

Washing the windshield was still a bitch😁

Ther is a hatch in the roof, you can climb outside and lay across the top of the cockpit and reach the windshield, although in Aden when wearing only shorts you risk third-degree burns.

We had no fear of heights in the RAF, I used to work on "Whistling Wheelbarrows" (Argosys) at Muharraq in Bahrain, to inspect the tail area we had to walk along the narrow tail booms, made more difficult due to the antenna cable running down the middle. The Argosy could also be a contender for funny-looking aircraft but I liked them, nothing ever seemed to go wrong with them... at least from a 1st Line servicing point of view.
1576368043667.png
1576368303529.png

Last edited:
Since the "WW2 aircraft" has been extended to include aircraft from the 1920s to the 1950s, I propose we add an aircraft from an under-represented country: the US. For a nomination, I propose this aircraft:
View attachment 563909

This is the Northrop C-125
(source: File:Northrop YC-125B Raider USAF.jpg - Wikimedia Commons)

A winner of beauty contests, it ain't.

A second nominee is the C-124:
View attachment 563917
(from File:Phoenix 2011 c124 globemaster.JPG - Wikimedia Commons)

The C124 looked OK to me, To carry big loads you need a big aircraft (see my Beverley post).... and you gotta stick the radar somewhere. :O

I'm not sure about the C-125, what was the idea behind that? :O

Ther is a hatch in the roof, you can climb outside and lay across the top of the cockpit and reach the windshield, although in Aden when wearing only shorts you risk third-degree burns.

We had no fear of heights in the RAF, I used to work on "Whistling Wheelbarrows" (Argosys) at Muharraq in Bahrain, to inspect the tail area we had to walk along the narrow tail booms, made more difficult due to the antenna cable running down the middle. The Argosy could also be a contender for funny-looking aircraft but I liked them, nothing ever seemed to go wrong with them... at least from a 1st Line servicing point of view. View attachment 563951View attachment 563952
Marvellous what you can do with a Shackleton wing, four Viscount engine units and two Meteor fuselages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back