Most Unattractive Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Herman1rcg,
Thanks for posting that pic. I had never heard of the SE-100 before. It is a fascinating looking craft.
Pat

Always liked the Argosy. Did my basic para course on them - more comfortable and less noisy than the 'Fat Albert',, much more 'gentlemanly'.

I found them "gentlemanly" too, I only worked on them for a few months at Muharraq in Bahrain after Aden closed, up until then I'd only worked on Shackletons at Kinloss and Khormaksar, Shacks required constant attention and Hunters, also at Khormaksar, where things were quite frantic at times. I really don't remember having to do anything on Argosys on the line as an airframe mech apart from marshall them in, replenish them and send them away again. Things may have been different for other trades. After Argosys at Bahrain I went back onto my favourite Shackletons at Ballykelly.
1576561081920.png

Replacing Hunter brake chute, three 37 Sqn Shacks overhead, probably the day after the mortar attack to say " narr narr you missed us"

1576561167267.png

8 & 43 Sqn HUnters at Khormaksar, the barrels are filled with sand to protect against mortars... and to make it more interesting marshaling.

1576561219673.png

A Hunter supporting the army "up country" in the Radfan.

Sorry for going off-topic again, Hunters could never be considered ugly, but some people might be interested and may prompt other posts.

I think this bird is a beauty! Look at her from a different angle and with some more appreciation for strangeness/awkwardness.
View attachment 564358
Compare with the ugly duckling below, that never became a swan (it's even ready to drop an egg but has no self-confidence to do it:p):
View attachment 564359

The Short Seamew, competition for the Fairey Gannet, something about the role of ASW aircraft that leads to ugly designs, the Breguet Alizelooked a little better..... just a little.
1576651373860.png

"Belphegor," - a hideous mythical demon who tricks people into thinking they have something that will make them rich....

Gentlemen one & all,
I truly enjoyed your marvelous testing of your skills in determining the ugliest aircraft of WW2. The descriptive words along with the enclosed photos had me laughing & eagerly anticipating reading the next post.
From all things considered, I'd say the French won the accolades. However I must qualify by noting they also produce some of the worlds finest wines. It is with that in mind, perhaps the designers indulged in a bit too much of their finest Bourdeux while in the midst of their work?

After all, the joke here in the U.S. was the primary reason why our (late) President Gerald Ford tumbled down the stairway while disembarking from his Air Force One was due to his excess in indulgence of France's finest.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back