Most Unattractive Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

View attachment 505782
Vickers Wellesley was no beauty. Surprisingly ungainly
Given its massive span, I'd like to see how it's designers could create a FAA variant to fit down Ark Royal's 45ft by 22ft and 45ft by 25ft lifts. At 39 ft 3 in long, we're okay on lift length.

If we fold the wings just outside the undercarriage, will it be less than 22ft wide? But can the geodetic wing structure be cut? And what of those under wing pods?

Wellesley-Bomber-Cutaway.jpg

Last edited:
Under-wing pods hold 2000lbs of bombs. Kinda need those to be classified as a bomber. With wings folded up it wouldn't fit in the Ark Royal hangar decks
Couldn't they roll them up, like a pipe line or summat?

It is not just the wings. You only had so many feet of height between the hanger floor and the ceiling (deck above)
View attachment 563025
The Wellesley was BIG airplane and not just in wing span.

as for the wing, without multiple folds like an origami swan or unrolling like a Goodyear inflatable plane I think you are out of luck.
Can the wing be lifted and lowered as it passes the tower, as if saluting the captain?

It is not just the wings. You only had so many feet of height between the hanger floor and the ceiling (deck above)
View attachment 563025
The Wellesley was BIG airplane and not just in wing span.

as for the wing, without multiple folds like an origami swan or unrolling like a Goodyear inflatable plane I think you are out of luck.

Like this maybe? Gannet AEW3
1575689379188.png

Not seen very well in the cutaway above, but there are 132 gallons of fuel in tanks midway in each wing.
Why would you want a Wellesely on an aircraft carrier?

Scan0183.jpg

Not seen very well in the cutaway above, but there are 132 gallons of fuel in tanks midway in each wing.
Why would you want a Wellesely on an aircraft carrier?

I don't but some people seem to delight in putting square pegs in round holes :)

extra long range but extra large aircraft that cut down on the carriers number of aircraft carried and that need gobs more work to make ready or strike down seem to be a very poor bargain indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back