Most Unattractive Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Walrus has to be a contender
1553934282708.png

I've aleays been attracted to the "ugly" a/c if for no other reason than the more popular WW2 types were photographed so often, talked about in such detail, their places in history discussed to almost no end, & of course modeled in their different variants to death that they all becomes a blur. To me at least, it's gotten to the point where if I've seen one, I've seen 'em all. I could walk down a modeling table & see row after row of Spitfires, Mustangs, Zeros, & Messerschmitts all seemingly blending into one. They all have one engine, low wings, machine guns in the wings & nose, one pilot, (I didn't mention Bell) all are tail draggers, & all have subtle variants & sub-types to no end. To a lay person, they would all look alike & boring.

Now for those who question why am I modeling and super-detailing Guillow's P-51D Mustang (you can see my modeling thread in this site), in all defense, it is for my daughter. I tried to talk her out of it (Lord knows I've tried), but she was adamant. What's a loving father to do?

I still enjoy all types including the boring ones, but those ugly planes make me want to send away for modeling plans & start building: especially those Latecoeres, Farmans, & Potez's. Nice & ugly -or better still- nice & " unique." I'd also vote for the Barracuda & actually looked into scoring some plans & any detailed photos, especially the interiors but no luck. Any volunteers?

Of course, it was also good at its job.
And I have absolutely no doubt that to the people it rescued, the Walrus was the most beautiful aircraft in the world, better than any Mustang or Spitfire.

My favourite story along this line which I am sure I have posted before was when one picked up a P51 pilot. Instead of taking the pilot to the normal station he persuaded the crew to drop him off at his home station which was nearby. They landed at the fighter field and after a slight delay a Jeep came to them with a senior officer on board. This stopped a little distance away, then it drove around the Walrus in a slow circle. It stopped again, the rescued pilot went over and as the pilot got on board the senior officer was heard to mutter, Dear God and drove off again.

Then there were the designs by the Frenchman, Roland Payen, who had a very interesting take on aircraft design.
They were all...uh...unique and yet managed to fly somehow.

I'd include a photo of one of his creations but I have no idea which one is the ugliest (they all are), so I'll leave it up to you to decide.

Just search the internet for "Payen Aircraft" and let the retinal damage commence - but keep in mind, what has been seen, cannot be unseen.

I have just run through this full thread and have to admit you have all come up with a gaggle of butt ugly aircraft. I am surprised that nobody has seen fit to offer up one of my all time favorite ugly aircraft, and a totally useless one as well, the Curtiss SO3C Seamew:

Curtiss+SO3C+Seamew.jpg

I have just run through this full thread and have to admit you have all come up with a gaggle of butt ugly aircraft. I am surprised that nobody has seen fit to offer up one of my all time favorite ugly aircraft, and a totally useless one as well, the Curtiss SO3C Seamew:

View attachment 534254
It looks a whole lot better on floats. The landing gear just does not look right.

The Walrus has to be a contender
View attachment 533701
The Walrus, popularly known as the Shagbat or Steam Chicken (from seawater spray hitting the engine) was the most beautiful aircraft on the allied side in WW2 if you happened to be shot down in the water. The designer of the Shagbat was R. J. Mitchell who's next design was the Spitfire, he probably just wanted to do something different.

in that French list there are a couple of lookers in there, not just uglies...

The Bernard 82 has elegance to it:

Bernard 82 - Wikipedia

The Bloch MB.162 was a very attractive four engined bomber, of which only one was built:

Bloch MB.162 - Wikipedia

Bloch MB-162-B5, Broplan MS-160 (2012)

As does the Amiot 354:

Amiot 354 - Wikipedia

Single, or twin finned variants:

Amiot 354.B4

Avions Amiot 354 Twin-Engine Bomber Airplane Desktop Wood Model Regular | eBay

And the Potez 630; this was actually a very good aeroplane and was easily a rival to the Bf 110 as a multi role combat aircraft, which it vaguely resembles, but with radial engines. The Potez had a distinguished wartime career. It suffered because it had that very distinctive characteristic going for it that it couldn't shake off, it was French.

Potez 630 - Wikipedia

Azur 1/48 Potez 631, by Tom Cleaver

Granted, the rest leave a lot to be desired, but these are proof the French had some good looking and performing machines.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back