Most Unattractive Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The US designed some ugly cargo aircraft, most of them also attempting to avoid "strategic material" use. The Curtiss C-76 was wooden, and poorly proportioned, to be kind. Wasn't the Conestoga built from stainless steel?

Indeed it was, but most people aren't aware that Weight-for-weight since Aluminium is as strong as steel, strength-for-strength, steel is a s light as aluminium. The main reason for the steel, according to G'ma Fran, was to minimize corosion concerns--after all, it was a Navy plane, expected to see a lot of sea-side service--she was terribly amused at the general disparagement of the MiG 25's stainless steel construction, as a number of electronic engineers in re her vacuum tube electronics; an EMP will permanently destroy a transistor, not so a vac-t---with the 'non-strategic material being an extra benifit.

But, if you compare the design to that of the C-47/R4D, as a cargo plane, you'll see that, steel excepted, all of her not-a-DC-3 features are now pretty much standard to cargo planes:

Landing Gear that allows for a flat cargo bay
Ramps for loading and unloading cargo directly (you shouldn't have to watch the fun of getting a Jeep into or out of a C-47.
High cockpit to clear those ramps.
High wings--among other things, minimizes FOD
Landing gear optimized for rough field operations.

After the war, the Flying Tiger Airlines bought 'em up, and made quite a business, because all of it's advantages meant that they could ship shomething large cross-country for less that somebody else using war surplus DC's or C-46s.

Now, I'm not saying she was a beauty--I'd give that crown to the Constellation, hands down--but ugly?

I reserve that for things that don't work, like the F-85. Speaking of which...

Just so American aircraft companies don't feel too left out:
XP-79 (which also goes into the category "What the h*** were they thinking?") View attachment 564944
and the XF-85, most aptly named "Goblin"
View attachment 564945

Both images are from Wikipedia

Hey, I kinda like the P-79. Don't think much of the armament, but hey, nobody's perfect

:cool:

Last edited:
The US designed some ugly cargo aircraft, most of them also attempting to avoid "strategic material" use. The Curtiss C-76 was wooden, and poorly proportioned, to be kind. Wasn't the Conestoga built from stainless steel?
You are correct GrumpyOldCrewChief, the Conestoga was made of stainless steel. I just saw one at the Pima Air Museum (see image below). As they tell it, the military was afraid there was going to be an aluminum shortage so they turned to other materials. When the aluminum shortage didn't occur they abandoned the project.

Attachments

• IMG_7841.JPG
    IMG_7841.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
Ah Milosh, the MS1500 is positively cute compared with many other French planes.

Here are a very few that come to mind:

1) SNCAC NC.1071.
View attachment 504326

2) Latecoere Late L.570.
View attachment 504327

3) Loire-Nieuport LN-10.
View attachment 504328

But, your choice isn't bad, as ugly planes go. :)
I'm beginning to see a trend here, oui? Some designers just have a way... and others... well let's just say the French seem more about form than functionality.

I'll go with the LWS-6 (PZL.30 Zubr).

View attachment 504228

No performance to speak of, ugly beyond belief, and had a useful life of only several missions, including training. The few survivors ended up as airfield decoys to be destroyed in attacks in lieu of useful aircraft.

Has a face that makes a train want to take a dirt road on a rainy night. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration. OK, uglier than a Barracuda.
That is one ugly airplane !!!

Must have been a long ladder up to the cockpit.

Flight deck crew entered via a door low down on port side directly below flight deck - only a short ladder needed to get in, but they then had to climb more internal fixed ladders to get into the office.

There were two passenger size doors, set into the main cargo doors, short ladders only needed, or you could mount through the big doors and ramp if they were open. There was a hatch in the floor of the troop compartment right at the end of that narrow tail boom, which could be used for entry - and that did need a long ladder ! However, the normal route into the boom was to enter the aircraft through lower doors, then clamber up things like gymnasium wall bars through not-quite large enough holes in the floor of the upper deck (the boom). That floor hatch was also used for parachute exit for troops in the boom, and the lower doors set into the cargo doors were used for troops if exiting from the main cargo compartment.

A fatality occurred on the runway at Khormaksar when a co-pilot was doing internal pre-flight checks. There was a chemical toilet compartment right at the back of the tail boom, just beyond that floor hatch. The toilet was a tight fit - if you needed a Number 2 you went in backwards. Anyway, co-pilot was just checking cables and what have you inside the compartment, so went in forward, backed out, then straight down through the hatch which had been opened, on to the concrete 20 odd feet below.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back