Mottle camourflage schemes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I did the breda three colors: mimetic 3 yellow green and brown, first noticed the brown this did stain with yellow and finished with green, the only difference is the time it takes to finish it i was more and one week painting

two years on and now that I have almost completed the marathon "this day in Europe thread' Im in a position to restart this build. it was meant to be my contribution to the East Front GB, but I will finish the build as a "start to finish" build now.

The paint scheme is a challenge, no doubt about it, and even though Im looking at it with a bit of trepidation, I think it will be a lot of fun. I am also going to look at the decals that the Captain mentioned, and even though that might produce a better result, am inclined to tackle the painting head on. I want to lean how to apply mottling schemes, because so many aircraft have mottle camo.

Photos shoulf follow soon

102_2978.JPG
102_2979.JPG
102_3063.JPG
102_3061.JPG
102_3062.JPG

102_3064.JPG

so its a public holiday in Oz, so I made a bit of a start. The mottle finishes you see are test sheets I did 2 years ago. As usual not outstanding, but this build is mostly about learning skills about mottling. I'm going to test a couple of brush methods before making a final decision. Cant find the tauro decaling system in Australia, all the suppliers seem to be out of stock

Attachments

• 102_2980.JPG
    102_2980.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 83
Thanks guys.

Does anyone have information, preferably photos, of the interior of the RE 2000 or better yet the Hungarian version (the Mavag Heja). Ive tried local resources and come up very short. having to rely on the Italeri instructions, which are pretty threadbare

For some reason I can't see the pics. Michael, I've got interior photos. PM your email and I'll blast them off to you. Sending emails is sketchy at the best of times from camp so if it doesn't work, Wednesday morning is the soonest I can do it from home. In the meantime hopefully some one else can come up with something.

hi guys

Ive made some further progress and will post update photos soon. more interestingly ive been chatting with Wotjek for information on painting and finishing. if there is one criticism I have on the italeri kit, its that the build instructions are a little unclear, at least as far as paint finishes are concerned. Wurger supplied me with a link for a start to finish build for the HPM offering of the same aircraft which is going to be a great help, but its also made me stop and think a little about the finish I should apply to the mottle scheme (or at least aim to apply). This guys interpretation is much darker and the mottling more indistinct than I assumed . the red/brown elements to the scheme are virtually unseen. below is an example
Alternative mottle.jpg

I also wasn't aware the cowl should be black, but will do some further research. As you can see from this image, the mottle application is much dirtier and imprecise than I had thought. not a lot of red/brown in the mix. the italeri engine detail is also different, and most of the museum photos ive seen for the Piaggio engine have bare metal crank, blue grey bell housing with black cylinder heads and some chrome or bare metal pipes and fuel lines .

This guy has done a great job on the cockpit interior, including some weathering and additional detail including some PE parts which I don't have. I'm certainly going to apply weathering to the cockpit area and will scratch build some of the cockpit furniture as well, but am not considering any purchases of PE parts just yet.

The main thing I'm looking for at this point is a discussion and advice about that mottling this rendition has applied. it certainly looks better than my effort so far, but is it an accurate reproduction?

Last edited:
For some reason I can't see the pics. Michael, I've got interior photos. PM your email and I'll blast them off to you. Sending emails is sketchy at the best of times from camp so if it doesn't work, Wednesday morning is the soonest I can do it from home. In the meantime hopefully some one else can come up with something.

missed this, will do as soon as a I have a minute

There are two shots of the V5-39 kite. The black front of the engine cowling isn't seen. I think it was of the camo colour but it could have become of the darker tone because of overheating. Also the black paint isn't seen in other pictures of the Hungarian Falco planes. I think there wasn't any general rule for applying of the Falco camo and the number of colours used.

I found two colour shots of he Hungarian planes and I can't see the red-brown tone on them. I would say that the colour didn't fit rather to the area of the Hungary and might have been abandoned for the camo set. However the Re-2000 of Reggiane factory could have worn the kind of three-colour camouflage. It is very likely as I saw images of the Reggiane assembled planes used by the HAF that colours of these looked very bright what may suggest the origin desert camouflage.But the two-tone camo is possible too.
However, the B&W image below ( Heja I ) shows that the three colours seem to be applied although the camo is of the dark type. But it should be kept in mind that the Reggiane planes were called Heja I while the MAVAG ones were Heja II. The difference could have been the camouflage for the both fighters because the Heja II was produced later and could have been wearing the camo that gave the more green tone being more suitable for the Hungary landscape.

HejaI.png

HejaII.jpg

HejaII_a.jpg

RE_2000.jpg

RE_2000_a.jpg

Last edited:
This is brilliant thanks once again...

The last colour shot bears the same numbers as the Italeri Kit. I think its the same aircraft. looking at the photo really closely, it looks like red is in the scheme I have to say Wotjek.

There seems to be a lot of variation in colour schemes to me, some with just green, a few with red. Cant find any black cowlings but did find a couple with east front yellow.

There are also some interior details that are excellent. I'm on the right track but the interior detil is a lot busier than I had supposed.

You might be right. However, please make a focus on the balance of colours in the pic you talked above. It is a little bit incorrect because of the green filter. Also the camo of the kite is quite worn out.

As you may notice the red-brown colour in the similar one showing the Swedish Re-2000 can be seen much better. The green paint looks more like the one on wings of the Hungarian kite. I don't think there were wings with the two-tone camo while the fuselage was of the three colours or two different ones..

J.20-Re2000_53.jpg

J.20-Re2000_53a.jpg

Last edited:
Its much clearer. I'm looking at the wings and just below the canopy, also in the fuselage near the tail. The base colour over which the mottling has been applied seems to me to be a much darker, almost a yellow/grey . There is red/brown in that mottling scheme and the green is not as green as I had thought, more olive. I think you are right, this shot shows a much used and faded scheme as you would expect for the eastern front.

I need to think carefully about this. I have some confidence that I can master the basics of mottling, but this suggests that I need to also be good at weathering that application as well! I have enough trouble ageing a one colour application let alone three!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back