Mottle camourflage schemes (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I couldn't get the trimmed brush applicator method to work very well. im probably not using the technique correctly, but the paint applications came across very rough. I also tried airbrush applications which for me were a dismal fail. I suspect you guys either have skills in the use of the airbrush, or your kit is just superior to my $40 special, because all I got were merged colours and a blurry mess when I tried to apply the top coats with the gun, except when I also used templates in conjunction. I could not get templates to cover the whole upper side of the model.

Was unable to find the decal sheets for mottled finish so really did not test that method.

This is far from perfect, but I did find I had much greater control on the paint application. I found the by using a very fine brush, a magnifying glass and a lot of patience I could achieve the best outcomes so far.

Don't get me wrong....im all ears to honest and brutal criticism, but would need to see pretty detailed explanation on how to improve the application.

Its been many days since I posted an update, but I have made progress. Cockpit and IP were completed, look pretty good IMO. Put the two halves and the wings on, as well as the the tail assemblies. Applied the base coat, used Dark Sand Yellow, but I realize now the mottle density is too high. Hand Painted the olive and brown earth mottles onto the base coat. I'm not unhappy with the result, turned out better than I expected actually, but the mottle density is too high.

ive also added the yellow TO banding and painted the underside

I'm just completing the cockpit hood and LG then the decaling and should be done.

Weathering is something I'm just not confident about with a multi coloured scheme like this. There is a benefit to the excessive mottle density....it makes the model look darker because of the dominance of the green and I think this makes the need for weathering less pressing.

If I do attempt weathering, it would need to include oil staining from the chin exhausts, which I have fitted, but not yet painted up properly...

102_3077.jpg

102_3078.jpg

102_3079.jpg

Thanks guys for the the kind words of encouragement. I am generally chuffed with the way the painting has turned out.

have made some further progress since then and will post updates tonite if possible. She is nearly done .

Its a pity I was too busy to complete this build within the GB time frame, but at least it will be done and I have a lot more confidence when approaching multi colour camo schemes.

Im still mulling over whether to attempt weathering/ageing on this build

I just stopped reading this thread, ... it has been very enriching to know the different techniques and practical methods for " mottle camourflage schemes" of our aircraft.
Very interesting and timely images of real aircraft and scale models. (As normally happens with the experts of this forum)
Michael the work that you accomplished is formidable! :salute:
It occurs to me and I ask the question to all, it would be advisable to give a light sanding with a thin sheet between 600 and 1000 to dull the colors a little and / or a "total wash" with pastels ...?

Saludos a todos :thumbup:
Luis Carlos
SANCER

Taking advantage of a free time and visiting other parts of the forum, I share what was my first foray into this type of camouflage. It was my 4th model since my return and the first time I used an airbrush, I did not know this forum yet. (Jun 2013)

First have the base colors of my Heinkel He-111H-22 (scale 1/48)

1.jpg

I drew the outline of the wings and stabilizers in a sheet of cardboard and based on the plotting of the spots in the instructions, I made them as close as possible.

2.jpg

I passed the original drawing to a sheet of onion paper (waxed paper or butter paper) ... -I translated it literally as it is known here in Mexico-

3.jpg

What I came up with to achieve those spots was something I would hardly do again, but with little budget, a little ingenuity and a lot of patience ... it was not so bad. (Remember they were my beginnings and I still did not get so much involved with internet for this or modeling forums) :whiteblindfold:

4.jpg

5.jpg

So I put on my masks and use my premiere airbrush!

6.jpg
7.jpg

I did the same with the wings and stabilizers ...

9.jpg

... the result ?, ... being my first attempt, I liked it very much, in fact it is the biggest airplane I had built at that time.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Time passes and practice, with the support and adequate information, one continues to be perfected in this wonderful hobby.

Nice to continue learning, greetings. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Very interesting to see how you got the templating to work. Its important o keep the card off the body of the aircraft, and your solution by using stiffeners is something I just didn't think of. Do you think the type of paper used is significant. that looks like some form of greaseproof semi transparent paper to me.

Ive applied the decals at this point, so would be loathe to take to my model with any sanding. I'm interested in a pastel wash or similar to make the colouration more dull, to reflect the harsh conditions of the EF, and emulate what ive deduced from the photographic evidence. Anyone have any tips on whether that is a good idea, and if so, how to go about it?

I was considering doing some oil staining with something like Tamiya Smoke near the wing roots and inboard of the LG assemblies. This stuff is nerve wracking because of the risks it carries.....

Very interesting to see how you got the templating to work. Its important o keep the card off the body of the aircraft, and your solution by using stiffeners is something I just didn't think of. Do you think the type of paper used is significant. that looks like some form of greaseproof semi transparent paper to me.

A bit primitive my technique lol, but it was what I came up with. Months later I was able to find out that instead of toothpicks, I could use small balls of Tak :mrgreen:

The paper I used is a very commercial paper used by our wives in the kitchen to cover food (it can come in roll or loose sheets, depending on the brand you get). The advantage is that there are different thicknesses and semitransparency allowed me to trace the original drawing I made on white cardboard.

With the decals applied, it is not good to sand on them; except you want to try where there is not. A pastel wash, I can think of as the simplest and can give a more opaque and earthy finish. For sure there will be more alternatives that colleagues can suggest.
Tamiya smoke, has many applications and can work for what you want; Do not forget to do tests before using it on your Italian bird.

Saludos amigo parsifal :thumbup:

Michael ... was very nice and showy your Hungarian bird.
Really the patience and dedication to paint speck by speck, it was worth.
Those who have these virtues, I am sure they will try to copy your teaching.
Gracias por compartirlo y saludos. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back