multiplayer for a newbie? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

strangepork

Recruit
Mar 19, 2009
I am a tech guy, and know how to read faqs before posting, but yet I am still at a loss right now.

I have il-2 sturm, the 1996 version (latest?), and just bought it a week ago online. I havent found any patches for it, but that might be a problem.

When i try to join multiplayer, it seems to only want to scan my local lan (port 21000) and not the internet in general, or have a way for me to find a server, or even to connect to a friends IP addr if he was hosting.

What am I missing? Do i just need to get his IP via phone and type it in in front of the :21000? Is there any service or gamespy or what have you to find servers?

thanks in advance!

And how do i know if i am fully patched??

Dr. Strangepork
Future casualty in ME-110s and Hurricane-IIBs

Welcome to the fourms!

The original game was released in 2001, by the way :)

When you load the game, the version is displayed in the lower left-hand corner. Patched with the most current (as of a number of years ago) updates, mine says V1.2 and as far as the the updates go, you can try the original site, which has since been modified to inclide Pacific Fighters, Forgotten Battles, Aces and 1946 Pacific Fighters | Ubisoft and check the menu on the left.

For multiplayer, you can either host or you can join a game. When you click on Multiplayer, you get a couple options: Play it on Ubi.com, Join Server or Create New Server. I've never tried the "Play it on Ubi.com" so I can't help ya' there...

If you're going to host a game for you and your friends, then "Create a New Server"...if you wish to join a game in progress, you can either enter your friend's IP in the box (make sure to always include the port :21000 after thier IP) and click Join. Or you can just search for Local Servers by clicking that option. If you choose the latter, understand that very few people run that early game anymore, so finding a random game could be a bit difficult.

hope this helps ya' :thumbright:

This means so much to me guys/gals! I will follow these links immediately.

I am kinda desperate for a good gaming solution, and I *think* I am worthy of such a hard core crowd, but if you all disagree, by all means Say so! (and hopefully provide constructive criticism).

Ive always been a complete reality nut. Even with what I consider excellent skills and intelligence, I crash and die a lot from my own mistakes -- I kinda love that!

Recently however, a good friend of mine wants to get involved. He is also a hardcore reality fanatic (although every says that until they die a certain number of times in a row...) and s we are kind adesperate to play a non-arcade, non-idiotic flight sim.

Now I know he can handle the hard core chops (fuel mixtures, prop angles, relative humidity, etc) after a small period, but it would also not suck for us to find a game where the 'easy' mode had mostly realism choices like stall spin ammo and blackouts, but maybe not the super anal stuff.

I thought IL-2 1946 was perfect, and bought us copies.

So far, I just dont know how to get us into the kind of games we want. Ideally, we are looking for challenging multiplayer play right of the bat, but not insane, until we quickly graduate to the super realism stuff.

Are there any public servers (other than me v him head to head hosting) that can handle this?

We have tried playing kumawar.com -- dogfight stuff just to have some fun, but its either broken totally or trying to be broken permanently.

Anyone that has advice on servers to use, or mods, or options, or even other games that might be a better starting area, your ADVICE IS BADLY DESIRED!!!

Dont be shy =)

He flies nothing but Hurricane IIbs, and me Me-110s, so we both clearly have bad taste, low intelligence, and a high tolerance for suffering.

Thanks in advance!

Dr. Strangepork (callsign "Snowman")
co-Leader of "Cat Jugglers" Squadron

PS replies in thread are referred, but i also reply to gedanken at io.com

Sorry to reply so quick, but I had 2 pieces of info to add:

1) I downloaded and successfully installed patch 408m

2) Hyperlink client 3.0 cannot find il-2 sturn executable, even when I type it in exactly (so i think...)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\il2fb.exe

any ideas??

a newb

So far, I just dont know how to get us into the kind of games we want. Ideally, we are looking for challenging multiplayer play right of the bat, but not insane, until we quickly graduate to the super realism stuff.
Are there any public servers (other than me v him head to head hosting) that can handle this?

Honestly, if you want a good game that has a huge multi-player online I recommend Aces High II. They constantly have arenas where 400 people battle it out amongest each other, and on Tuesday they have Titanic Tuesday were the arena reaches up to 800 people. It is also a easer game play in my opinion. I like Il2 for the realism part, but if you something with more online play, try Aces High II. BTW, aces high is $15.00 USD a month while IL2 on hyperlobby is free. I have both and play them often.

Welcome to Aces High II <------- Aces High II website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back