Music Discussion Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Would you rate Slayer a heavy metal band? If i recall correctly they´d be most frequently tagged as speed metal, is that about right?

Yes I would rate Slayer as a Heavy Metal Band. Speed Metal is Heavy Metal. It is a sub genre of Heavy Metal, I would consider them more Thrash than Speed though.

Speed Metal, Thrash Metal, Power Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal, Nu Metal, (there are many many more), etc. are all forms of Heavy Metal.

Nice lists Adler! very impressed. Below is a following Albums/DVDS that I own

Albums:

AC/DC - High Voltage
AC/DC - TNT
AC/DC - Powerage
AC/DC - Let there be Rock
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
AC/DC - Back in Black
AC/DC - Fly on the Wall
AC/DC - The Razors Edge
AC/DC - Live (2 Disc)

Metallica - Metallica (Black Album)
Metallica - Live ****! Binge and Purge
(Plus other tracks off my friend)

Iron Maiden - The Best of the Beast

DVDs

AC/DC - Let there be Rock (Live in Paris)
AC/DC - Live at Donington
AC/DC - No Bull (Live in Madrid)
AC/DC - Stiff Upper Lip
AC/DC - Family Jewels

Metallica - Some Kind of Monster
Rock Classics - Making of the Black Album

BTW How come you didn't include Bon Scott in your vocalist lists Adler?

Nice list Adler, but I'd have to modify a couple names.

Best Rock/Hard Rock/Classic Rock Vocalist
Remove Eddie Vedder (I'd rather listen to a dog licking himself than Vedder)
Add Geoff Tate (Queensryche)

Best Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Guitarist
Remove Jerry Cantrell
Add Eddie Van Halen

How in the hell can you have a rock guitarist list and not have EVH in it? Even when he is playing drunk off his ars he is still better than most. While I like Tony Iommi, I'd have to replace him with Joe Satriani.

Best Female or Female Fronted Rock/Hard Rock/Metal Bands
Remove Kittie
Add Vixen (band had Lita Ford in it)

Nice list Adler, but I'd have to modify a couple names.

Best Rock/Hard Rock/Classic Rock Vocalist
Remove Eddie Vedder (I'd rather listen to a dog licking himself than Vedder)
Add Geoff Tate (Queensryche)

Eddie Vedder is an amazing vocalist and song writer. I guess you can listen to a dog licking himself then! :lol:

Thorlifter said:
Best Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Guitarist
Remove Jerry Cantrell
Add Eddie Van Halen

How in the hell can you have a rock guitarist list and not have EVH in it? Even when he is playing drunk off his ars he is still better than most. While I like Tony Iommi, I'd have to replace him with Joe Satriani.

Van Halen was actually in the list. I accidentaly removed him and will have to put him back in the list. Thankyou for pointing that out. The man is amazing in concert too, I saw them many years ago. Unfortunatly it was not with Roth but with Hagar.

As for Joe Satriani. He will be on one of my lists. I have not finished yet. I will have probably a hundred differnt lists on here. Satriani is an amazing guitarist along with Steve Vai.

Keep tuned to this thread and you will see more.

Thorlifter said:
Best Female or Female Fronted Rock/Hard Rock/Metal Bands
Remove Kittie
Add Vixen (band had Lita Ford in it)

Vixen is also a great band. I still enjoy listening to there records. They are putting out a new record as a matter of fact and are going to go on tour.
The reason I have Kittie in the list is because this is based off of my opinion and who influences my music the most. Kittie influenses my style of music and Heavy Metal more than Vixen has.

Best Heavy Metal Albums of all Times
1. Mater of Puppets - Metallica
mop.jpg

2.Cowboys From Hell - Pantera
Pantera-CowboysFromHell.jpg

3. Peace Sells - Megadeth
peacesells.jpg

4. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - Iron Maiden
32454712.gif

5. Ride the Lightning - Metallica
1a02b0ed.gif

6. Sad Wings of Destiny - Judas Priest
Judas-Priest-Sad-Wings-Of-Dest-9256.jpg

7. Paranoid - Black Sabbath
paranoid.jpg

8. Reign in Blood - Slayer
ReigninBlood.gif

9. Blizzard of Oz
Ozzy-Blizzard20Of20Oz-200x200.gif

10. Metallica - Metallica
Metallica3.jpg

Best Hard Rock Albums of All Times
1. Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
ledzeppelinIV.gif

2. Appetite For Destruction - Guns N Roses
283px-Guns_N_Roses_-_Appetite_For_D.jpg

3. Back in Black - AC/DC
ACDC-BackinBlack.jpg

4. Machine Head - Deep Purple
M-Head-UK.jpg

5. New of the World - Queen
06.jpg

6. Toys in the Attic - Aerosmith
Aerosmithtoysintheattic.jpg

7. 1984 - Van Halen
1984.jpg

8. Sailing the Seas of Cheese - Primus
135153.gif

9. Hysteria - Def Leppard
Hysteria.jpg

10. Destroyer - Kiss
destroyer.jpg

i wouldn't really call adler's music tastes diverse or varied but in responce to pD i don't know a great deal about music but i likes what i likes ;) i posted some of my all time favourites a while back and matt downloaded them all and loved ever second of it! here's one of my favourite tracks of the moment, sums up a lot of the music i like and i'm a BIG damien rice fan.....................

Attachments

• How to Save a Life.mp3
    2 MB · Views: 60
Great lists Adler! I like the majority of those bands in one respect or another. I like most rock except for this new Brit-Indie rock trash thats all over the radio these days. These are my favourite 8 bands in some sort of order...Obviosuly there are loads of other stuff that I love but these are the 8 that really stand out for me.

1] Alter Bridge
2] Evanescence
3] Something Corporate
4] Jack's Mannequin
5] Brand New
6] From First to Last
7] Muse
8] A Perfect Circle

Alter Bridge - Sure like that one tune, I'll say. One Day Remains or some such. Vocals, guitar work, harmonies, lyrics. Has it all.

What about...

Kansas
Jimmy Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Steve Vai
Joe Walsh
Max Webster
Yes
Styx
Steve Miller
Eric Clapton
Clutch
David Bowie
And laugh all you want...Devo
Robert Johnson
Jethro Tull
BTO
Foreigner (early stuff like their first and second album only)
Marillion
Nazareth
Police (early albums only)
Ted Nugent
ZZTop

Something smells vintage in here huh?

Not that i say your choices are wrong but i belong in the second era of post apocalyptic industrialized phase of music.

Lanc: that was a good song.

i wouldn't really call adler's music tastes diverse or varied but in responce to pD i don't know a great deal about music but i likes what i likes ;) i posted some of my all time favourites a while back and matt downloaded them all and loved ever second of it! here's one of my favourite tracks of the moment, sums up a lot of the music i like and i'm a BIG damien rice fan.....................

My taste in music is much more broader than what I have posted so far. Like I said I have a lot more of my lists to make.

Alter Bridge - Sure like that one tune, I'll say. One Day Remains or some such. Vocals, guitar work, harmonies, lyrics. Has it all.

What about...

Kansas
Jimmy Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Steve Vai
Joe Walsh
Max Webster
Yes
Styx
Steve Miller
Eric Clapton
Clutch
David Bowie
And laugh all you want...Devo
Robert Johnson
Jethro Tull
BTO
Foreigner (early stuff like their first and second album only)
Marillion
Nazareth
Police (early albums only)
Ted Nugent
ZZTop

I love all the band you just listed there except for Devo. The rest are great classics though.

Bon Scott is a legend but he has not been the voice of AC/DC for almost the last 30 years. Brian Johnson took over in 1980. He is the voice that people recognize today.

Ok Adler I see where you are coming from, but I'm just saying that the band achieved breakthrough success with Highway to Hell and that had Bon at the helm.

BTW how come angus young isn't in any of your guitarist lists?

(I also forgot to mention I have Metallica - The videos 1989 - 2004 DVD)

Angus is good. He's like Neil Young. A master of the three note guitar solo. King of chords.

And best rock singer...ever. Chris Cornell. Hands down. Plant is not even close.

My list was retro only because Adlers was so well done. I don't want to steal his thunder. But for those who really wish to broaden their horizons, what about blues and jazz.

Count Bassie
Lee Ritenour
Jeff Beck
Okay laugh again...Sarah McLaughlin
or Bad Company (c'mon not in the top 20?)
80s band...Krokus :cool:
Satchmo (Louis Armstrong)

...man I could go on and on.

And so who likes classical? Not ready for that leap yet I suppose.

BTW how come angus young isn't in any of your guitarist lists?

Angus is amazing, however to me he is not in the top 10. Top 15 deffinatly, but not top 10. This is all my opinion my friend.

Screaming Eagle said:
(I also forgot to mention I have Metallica - The videos 1989 - 2004 DVD)

I own everything Metallica my friend, including original Vinyl (that I bought in the 1980s).

My list was retro only because Adlers was so well done. I don't want to steal his thunder. But for those who really wish to broaden their horizons, what about blues and jazz.

Count Bassie
Lee Ritenour
Jeff Beck
Okay laugh again...Sarah McLaughlin
or Bad Company (c'mon not in the top 20?)
80s band...Krokus :cool:
Satchmo (Louis Armstrong)

...man I could go on and on.

And so who likes classical? Not ready for that leap yet I suppose.

Oh dont worry I have not gotten to that yet. I have just started. Give me time to make all my lists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back