Music Discussion Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Certainly impressive technically. But hard to tell if he has ability to integrate his speed skills with other aspects important to good music. I'll definitely keep and ear out for him though.

And good songs to recommend to look for Thor?

Come to think of it, I too don't think that I have heard either. Though I do recognize Mercyful Faith by name only.

Iced Earth is one of the best "old school" Thrash bands out. They started back in the 1980s under the lead of guitarist John Schaffer. There songs have lots of meaning to them and very good technical skill. Most of there albums are epic albums that tell a story.

John Shaffer is a big history buff, especially US History. Therefore he decided to right an Album that was dedicated to history called "The Glorious Burden". This was the last album they put out a few years ago. Each song tells a tale of a historical figure or event such as the Revolutionary War, the Red Baron, a dedication to 9-11, and culminates in a 36 minute song about the Battle of Gettysburg broken down into 3 parts as if they were 3 songs with each one telling the events of each day. Done extremely well with an orchestra and the sounds of battle in the background and with the dialogue of the generals that commanded the battle.

Here is the tracklisting of this last album:

Disc 1:

1 - The Star-Spangled Banner
2 - Declaration Day
3 - When the Eagle Cries
4 - The Reckoning (Don?t Tread On Me)
5 - Greenface
6 - Attila
7 - Red Baron/Blue Max
8 - Hollow Man
9 - Valley Forge
10 - Waterloo
11 - When the Eagle Cries (Unplugged)

Disc 2 - Gettysburg (1863):

1 - The Devil to Pay
2 - Hold At All Costs
3 - High Water Mark

Here is the website for Iced Earth. They are currently working on another epic album as a part 2 to an album they release in the 90s.

www.icedearth.com

Mercyful Fate is Heavy Metal band from Denmark. The band began its rise back in 1981 and were headed by King Diamond. I am sure you all have heard of King Diamond. They were considered one of the first Black Metal bands and have influenced other bands such as Metallica. Metallica has even covered several of there songs and plays some of there songs sometimes in concert. Lars Ulrich the drummer for Metallica also has played drums for them in the studio on several occasions.

The 5 songs that they are probably most known for are Satans Fall, Curse of the Pharoes, A Corpse Without Soul, Into the Coven, and Evil.

St. Matt excuse me but who is Chris Cornell? Although i am not into the vintage deparment of music i do know who Deep Purple, Led Zepellin, Stones, Doors or Pink Floyd are...

why would you rate that guy as the vest rock singer ever?

Chris Cornell - Soundgarden and now Audioslave

Why? Just listen to his range, connection with the music and emotion. No one in Heavy Metal/Hard Rock comes close to capturing the sole of that genre of music. And certainly not Plant. Trust me. You will hear his name for years to come as one who personified hard rock vocals with his talent.

I have to admit that in most of the bands i use to listen, especially the dark indutrial ones, the voice element has kind of a different approach...as most of them singers distort their voices, and it would not surprise me at all if you put most of them to sing without voice effects and they do not make good singers...but as i said, that is how industrial works, and the distorted voices are an essential element.

80s was my favorite era! It is when Heavy Metal ruled the MTV and the World! Wont have time to update more lists for you guys. I will get back to it tomorrow. Going out to eat tonight and then I am going to bed, pretty tired.

I think folks have made a pariah out of her. Lennon was a fruitcake. Talented, but a fruitcake. McCartney was the force behind the band.

Couldn't agree more! Behind the scenes I think George was just as influential as Paul as far as music, lyrics, and composition go.

Chris Cornell is the best rock singer in the world, ever. If you haven't head of him, I think you need to educate yourself. His songwriting is also some of the best, if not THE best. He's written songs for practically all rock bands or rock artists.

In fact, he is the most talented rock musician ever. He can play piano, bass, guitar, drums and sing the devil and an angel in the same freakin' album. And his writing is amazing - so many people don't understand his songs because they can't get to his level, even what seem blatantly obvious are completely different. Example;

Like A Stone - a lot of people think it's a love song - no it's not! It's a song about a man waiting to die. If you think it's a love song, listen to it again and tell where a woman is mentioned.

Like Suicide by Soundgarden - sounds like a love song; it's about a robin breaking its neck by flying into a window. (I admit I didn't know that 'til I read an interview with him).

And plus; my g/f says he's sexy. And that if you don't like him "...you're a poo."

And whoever said remove Jerry Cantrell from the greatest guitarists list - get a clue! Only problem I had with the guitarist list really was Tommy Morello was missin' and Mike Mcready .

Freakin' remove Eddie Vedder - how sad; since he's one of the greatest rock singers in history also. Alongside Layne Staley, Scott Weiland, Bon Scott, Brian Johnson, Rob Plant and the dude from Shinedown - I can't remember his name.

And the two drummers only really worth a considerable mention - Matt Cameron and Neil Peart. Although honourable mention goes to the dude from Seether - after seein' him live - OH MY GOD!

Best Bands for me:

Alice in Chains
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam
Stone Temple Pilots
AC/DC
Shinedown
Audioslave

Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam were far more influential to the bands of today than Nirvana were. Nirvana came along on a dying music scene that had already reached its peak; and Cobain rode it down hill and literally to death (his death, thank God).
I hate all this new "Nirvana was Grunge" crap; Grunge was made by Green River (1983), Soundgarden (1984), Mother Love Bone (1985) and Mudhoney (1985). The follow-ons were Alice in Chains (1987), Screaming Trees (1987)Temple of the Dog/Pearl Jam (1990 - 1991) *Note Pearl Jam had Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard from Mother Love Bone and Green River. Nirvana (1991), Stone Temple Pilots (1993), Smashing Pumpkins (1992).

Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone and Screaming Trees all wrote better songs, and made better music than Nirvana. I have missed a lot of Grunge off there, like GrunTruk who are awesome!

Nirvana has just been hung on to by the modern world for SOME reason - so they're popular, and that makes all the trendies MOTHER F*CKERS love them without even knowing anything. Many a people I've converted by introducing them to the voice of Staley; AiC rip Nirvana to pieces, and have probably influenced the BETTER bands of the modern age - Godsmack (AiC influence, you can hear it a million miles away), Shinedown (admit they were influenced by AiC, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden), Seether - seen them live and got a live album - live they played Nutshell - AiC, on the album they played Pearl Jam - Immortality . Not a Nirvana song in sight, or sound ...

Hey pD you need to get your ass to Rock im Park this year. Smashing Pumpkins was confirmed yesterday and Pearl Jam is supposed to sign on in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back