Music Discussion Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's funny how you maintain that you know everything, Udet, even in the realms of opinion orientated discussion.

The fact that you have NO clue about grunge music makes it even funnier. More to the point; anyone who doesn't know who Chris Cornell is has no right to even talk about rock. You call Grunge "ultra-boring" when you don't even know who Cornell is who led Soundgarden, a grunge band - one of the biggest.

And you think because you're talked to like-minded people that just happened to be in Seattle, you know what all Seattle is thinking? I have friends in Seattle who love Grunge; I wouldn't say that Grunge was still massive in Seattle - it has a new rock scene now; which I'm sure you know ALL about - but it's clearly a counter-point. But you're always right...so I can't discuss with you.

I could just as easily turn around to you and say your music taste is crap, but I'm not as sad as you. And I'm more passionate about music than you'll ever be - plus Nine Inch Nails and Sonic Youth are great bands.

You haven't even heard of Chris Cornell - oh my god! What a nerd...:rolleyes:

And Thorlifter - removing Jerry Cantrell from a list of great guitarists ...you don't even know who he is!? And obviously have never heard him play!

Plan D and Udet...You guys are chasing each other around the forum acting like spurned lovers.
What's up with you guys? You both are extremely knowledgeable and seem to have gotten wrapped around the axle over something. Both of you guys are above this. :sad3:

I don't like people thinking they know about Grunge music when they don't even know who Chris Cornell is.

Music is an opinionated thing therefore no one can be wrong. That is the great thing about this thread (which I need to continue today to make up some more lists). Everyone has an opinion about what music they like.

I like all kinds of rock but mostly Heavy Metal. I think that Chris Cornell is one of the greatest singers of all times and I love his music but because he does not necessarily fit my opinion of the kind of music that I like the most therefore to me he is not the greatest rock singer of all times. Does that make me wrong know.

pD and several others here think that Chris Cornell is the greatest of all times. They are correct. Why are they correct? Because it is there opinion.

There is no right or wrong when it comes to music.

I do however agree with pD that you can not judge a singer unless you have heard of him and not knowing of Chris Cornell is a damn shame...

Iced Earth is one of the best "old school" Thrash bands out. They started back in the 1980s under the lead of guitarist John Schaffer. There songs have lots of meaning to them and very good technical skill. Most of there albums are epic albums that tell a story.

John Shaffer is a big history buff, especially US History. Therefore he decided to right an Album that was dedicated to history called "The Glorious Burden". This was the last album they put out a few years ago. Each song tells a tale of a historical figure or event such as the Revolutionary War, the Red Baron, a dedication to 9-11, and culminates in a 36 minute song about the Battle of Gettysburg broken down into 3 parts as if they were 3 songs with each one telling the events of each day. Done extremely well with an orchestra and the sounds of battle in the background and with the dialogue of the generals that commanded the battle.

Here is the tracklisting of this last album:

Disc 1:

1 - The Star-Spangled Banner
2 - Declaration Day
3 - When the Eagle Cries
4 - The Reckoning (Don?t Tread On Me)
5 - Greenface
6 - Attila
7 - Red Baron/Blue Max
8 - Hollow Man
9 - Valley Forge
10 - Waterloo
11 - When the Eagle Cries (Unplugged)

Disc 2 - Gettysburg (1863):

1 - The Devil to Pay
2 - Hold At All Costs
3 - High Water Mark

Here is the website for Iced Earth. They are currently working on another epic album as a part 2 to an album they release in the 90s.

www.icedearth.com

Mercyful Fate is Heavy Metal band from Denmark. The band began its rise back in 1981 and were headed by King Diamond. I am sure you all have heard of King Diamond. They were considered one of the first Black Metal bands and have influenced other bands such as Metallica. Metallica has even covered several of there songs and plays some of there songs sometimes in concert. Lars Ulrich the drummer for Metallica also has played drums for them in the studio on several occasions.

The 5 songs that they are probably most known for are Satans Fall, Curse of the Pharoes, A Corpse Without Soul, Into the Coven, and Evil.
Aww, well, I don't listen to thrash much. Mainly just classic rock.

Aerosmith
Ozzy
Eric Clapton
ZZ top
Def Leppard

My main bands I like, though the order always switches.

There is no right or wrong when it comes to music.

Agreed. Although I dont really see how people can like rap/dance music, since most of it is just sampled songs with badly rewritten lyrics and a computerized bassline.

I like all kinds of rock, but my favourite has to be anything with use of a piano to go with the guitars etc. Adds an extra dimension to it. I Also like songs with either nice, emotional lyrics or stuff about teen angst and things. But ill take most kinds of rock and enjoy it.

I might look for some of there songs. Pretty good huh?

You have never heard of:

Aerosmith
Ozzy
Eric Clapton
ZZ top
Def Leppard

??????

They are some of the greatest musicians or bands that ever graced a stage on this planet!

Aerosmith has consistantly been on top of there game since the late 60's and has been putting out great rock hits ever since. Cant wait to see them (hopefully they will be here) on tour for the 2nd time this summer.

Ozzy is the godfather of Heavy Metal along with his original band Black Sabbath. Ever heard of Crazy Train, Mama Im Coming Home, Bark at the Moon, No more tears????

Eric Clapton is one of the greatest guitar players of all times. Tears In Heaven???? Cream????

ZZ Top??? You have never heard of the bearded men. Great guitar rock songs, great shows!!!!

Def Leppard one of the greatest hard rock bands to take the stage in the 80s and have still been putting out hits through the 90s. They have a new album coming out this year!

CC, a couple of bands you should look up that I think you'll like;

Hinder, Pay the Girl, Shinedown and Live. The first three are new alternate rock bands, naturally from the U.S. All my friends and I love Alter Bridge - and we love them too. So I reckon you'll like 'em.

CC, a couple of bands you should look up that I think you'll like;

Hinder, Pay the Girl, Shinedown and Live. The first three are new alternate rock bands, naturally from the U.S. All my friends and I love Alter Bridge - and we love them too. So I reckon you'll like 'em.

Shinedown and Live are great bands. Live is amazing in concert as well.

Wait, no I was talking about the songs of those two bands you told me of...
"Theres a black room, with white curtains, in the stations.."-Whit room, cream. Awesome song!

:lol:

Actually its called "White Room" not "Black Room" and the lyrics you are thinking of are:

"In the white room with black curtains near the station.
Blackroof country, no gold pavements, tired starlings."

I've seen Live twice now, Chris. I still say they're one of the best live performances out there. It's not big 'n' flashy - but they don't need it to be.
I wanna see Shinedown as soon as possible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back