Music Discussion Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alright I finally finished by Hard Rock albums list.

Now I will move on to individual songs.

Best Heavy Metal Songs
1. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - Metallica
2. Walk - Pantera
3. Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden
4. Peace Sells - Megadeth
5. No More Tears - Ozzy Osbourne
6. Raining Blood - Slayer
7. The Ripper - Judas Priest
8. Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne
9. For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica
10. Enter Sandman - Metallica

Best Hard Rock Songs
1. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
2. You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
3. I want it all - Queen
4. Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
5. Welcome to the Jungle - Guns N Roses
6. Sweet Emotions - Aerosmith
7. Panama - Van Halen
8. Who Made Who - AC/DC
9. Kashmir - Led Zeppelin
10. We are the Champions - Queen

Alright now to move on to some other stuff.

Best Classical Composer or Writers (not necessarily from the Classical Period) and the best work by them in my opinion.
1. Richard Wagner (The Ride of the Valkrie)
2. Mozart (Symphony No. 40)
3. Johann Sebastian Bach (Brandenburg Concertos)

As you can tell I am not a big Classical fan but these are my favorites.

Smashing Pumpkins is not what it used to be Chris... With D'arcy and James Iha out of the lineup, Corgan and Chamberlin will have their hands full making the audience happy....

And unfortunatly pD, I have to disagree somewhat with ur dislike or negativity of Nirvana, and ur history of Grunge... While there were several bands that were on it before Nirvana, it was their 2nd album Nevermind that brought Grunge mainstream...

Smells like Teen Spirit changed to World, and also more importantly opened up the Seattle sound to all ears.... I was listening to Soundgarden, Mudhoney, (an inspiration and influence on many musicians including Cobain), and The Melvins while u were in diapers, when they put out their first albums, so when Nirvana put out Bleach, in 1989 I might add, I had been wearing a stupid flannel shirt for 6 years.... I had an original white vinyl press of it....

While his voice/music/lyrics may not have been in the Cornell or Staley range, alot of people thought it innovative and a "one-off" from the Seatlle Grunge sound... Even though I like Soundgardens music 10 times as much as Nirvanas, that didnt stop me from stompin that skinheads tattooed neck in one of the biggest Mosh Pits known in the History of Mosh Pits back in 93.... Nirvana was freakin awesome in concert Marc....

I would rank Nirvana higher than AIC, who didnt change a culture like Nirvana did....

And have u guys heard that Van Halen is on a reunion tour, with David Lee Roth fronting??? However, its now 3 Van Halens and a Roth, as Mike Anthony is no longer with the band, and Eddies son Wolfgang is now taking over the Bass responsibilities...

Yeap I am hoping that Van Halen tour hits Europe.

I agree with Nirvana Les and that is why I ranked them so high. They changed the way the world looked at music at the time.

I saw them in concert a few months before he killed himself and it was a great show.

I'll say this again for the record. VH frontman Roth has jumped the shark. That queen can no longer hold a note, yet alone a tune. And I tell you this with the utmost conviction of a diehard VH fan. I've seen them in concert numerous times and have bought virtually every Roth VH album in every concievable format. [sniffle, sniffle] I hate to admit it, but Roth sux...now.

DEAR GOD TAKE ME. ALL MY ROCK HEROES OF LORE NEED AN OVERDOSE.

hey adler well done on the lists again. But where is back in black on your hard rock song list and one on your heavy metal song list. to me they should be worthy of your lists. (again, just my opinion my friend.)

Again Screaming Eagle are those lists yours or mine? These list are based off of my own opinions. Just because I think an overall album is one of the best because of its overall complexity, lyrics, and sound does not mean that a single song will be on a top 10 song list.

If you wish you may make you own lists, however these are my lists and my opinion. I am entitled to my opinion.

To me AC/DC is not the greatest thing since bread and butter. One of my favorite bands and one of the Greatest bands of all times but that does not mean that there are not things better than AC/DC in my opinion. Understand?

I don't dislike Nirvana; I dislike their modern fan base. The same fans that attend an Audioslave concert and don't even know the song "Loud Love" while I'm screaming it like a daemon. I've grown up with Grunge; since I was three years old when my brother used to blast out AiC, Pearl Jam and, yes, Nirvana.

Grunge was never supposed to be mainstream; it was always underground. Beside that Pearl Jam - Ten outsold Nirvana - Nevermind with a 2:1 ratio. Alice in Chains may never had been so great when Staley was alive; but their music influenced countless amounts of bands afterward. "Rooster" and "Nutshell" are covered more times than any Nirvana song. And AiC were just better, full stop.

I'm sure Nirvana were great live; I'll never be able to see it. But their Unplugged is one of the best ever. But I'd still rather stomp people listening to Alice in Chains than Nirvana, any day of the week.

As I say, I'm not against Nirvana - although Cobain was an *******. The rest of the Grunge scene hated them, Cornell has mocked Cobain in interviews and Cobain had the cheek to call Pearl Jam corporate because Pearl Jam out-sold them.
Cobain was made famous 'cos he shot himself; that's all.

And, Chris, we'll try and be at Rock im Park. Damn it, I wanna go!

I´ll put aside the fact the Nirvana´s singer was a pathetic, sorrowful individual, barely average as guitar player, possibly marginally better as singer...but being a fine musician is not what really matters; the requirements in the present day world to become something they call "celebrities" are of a different nature (barely literate, drug addict, alcoholic, lowlife, etc.)

I´ve been to Seattle several times after the year 2000...and met guys who were in their late teens/early twenties when this whole Nirvana crap "took over" MTV. They laugh, literally, about what the whole thing became...they refer to the so-called "Seattle Grounge Scene" as a bad taste joke...Seattle was not different to what most medium size or large cities in the western world regarding the number of bands performing in bars and night clubs can offer...95% being bands that suck big time and only a minority of real good ones...but just because MTV got there and found a group of junkies which by the time fit into the category they thought would supply them with what they were looking for....also i was told by them the real fine bands of Seattle did not have the "luck" of getting hand picked by MTV.

The Grounge musical style and the ultra-boring so called "Seattle Grounge Scene" were to the largest extent the new marketing tools MTV found to come up with something that would be "new"....Nirvana....ever heard of Sonic Youth?

The smarty pants at MTV had commenced to notice the heavy metal trend which they had supported, fostered and broadcasted to levels of insanity during the second half 80s had to be replaced by something "new". It is not daring to say that to some extent they got tired of those heavy metal bands who had chicken hair and that wore clothing that made those poor guys look like low-budget corner prostitutes of a slum located somewhere in LA.

Something so "new" and so "good" had become utterly necessary, so they sent their scouts out and began contacting people everywhere...music freaks all over the world would then literally attack record stores to buy the albums of the "new" bands...

Worlds greatest harmonica player hands down - John Popper/Blues Traveler

And if you have never heard this gentemen play, you have never heard what a harmonica can sound like.

I´ll put aside the fact the Nirvana´s singer was a pathetic, sorrowful individual, barely average as guitar player, possibly marginally better as singer...but being a fine musician is not what really matters; the requirements in the present day world to become something they call "celebrities" are of a different nature (barely literate, drug addict, alcoholic, lowlife, etc.)

I´ve been to Seattle several times after the year 2000...and met guys who were in their late teens/early twenties when this whole Nirvana crap "took over" MTV. They laugh, literally, about what the whole thing became...they refer to the so-called "Seattle Grounge Scene" as a bad taste joke...Seattle was not different to what most medium size or large cities in the western world regarding the number of bands performing in bars and night clubs can offer...95% being bands that suck big time and only a minority of real good ones...but just because MTV got there and found a group of junkies which by the time fit into the category they thought would supply them with what they were looking for....also i was told by them the real fine bands of Seattle did not have the "luck" of getting hand picked by MTV.

The Grounge musical style and the ultra-boring so called "Seattle Grounge Scene" were to the largest extent the new marketing tools MTV found to come up with something that would be "new"....Nirvana....ever heard of Sonic Youth?

The smarty pants at MTV had commenced to notice the heavy metal trend which they had supported, fostered and broadcasted to levels of insanity during the second half 80s had to be replaced by something "new". It is not daring to say that to some extent they got tired of those heavy metal bands who had chicken hair and that wore clothing that made those poor guys look like low-budget corner prostitutes of a slum located somewhere in LA.

Something so "new" and so "good" had become utterly necessary, so they sent their scouts out and began contacting people everywhere...music freaks all over the world would then literally attack record stores to buy the albums of the "new" bands...

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: Amen brutha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back