Music, music, music! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plan_D

Lieutenant Colonel
Apr 1, 2004
Alright. Now it's on...a music discussion. About...erh..music.

les and I have agreed that Peart is the best drummer of all time and Cameron is a close second. And if you don't know who those people are...go learn, you pig nosed bucket f*ckers! (haha, just kiddin' or am I?)

Some of the best guitarist in my opinion are; Jerry Cantrell (AiC), Mike Mcready (Pearl Jam - lead - ), Tommy Morello (Rage and Audioslave)...hmmm...I can't think of any others right now. Oh Van Halen is finger licking good...that was intended...but personally, I wouldn't say TOP...

We'll have to break these guitarists down to catergories. I mean you got your ones heavy on the licks, like Eddie. ...then you got the mean f*ckers, like Cantrell, Thayl and...erh...Morello (to some extent...well, he's quite diverse)...then you've got...somethin' else.

As I say, we've got to break it down into catergories. You've got to have your rythym people in there too...if they're good, that is.

Geez, where to begin with great guitarists? There are many many greats and some of it comes down to personal tastes too. Here are a few of my favorites:
Flamenco: Ottmar Liebert, Carlos Montoya, Al DiMeola

Full shred: Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Gary Hoey, Mark Bonilla, Thayall, John Petrucci, Robin Trower, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Yngwie Malmsteen, Kevin May, Eddie Van Halen, Nuno Bettencourt, Randy Rhoads, Santana, Allan Holdsworth, Steve Morse, Richie Blackmore, Rik Emmet, Tommy Shaw, Ted Nugent, Neal Schon

Jazz: Skunk Baxter, Pat Metheny, Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton, George Benson

Blues: Stevie Ray Vaugh, Jimmie Vaughn, Eric Clapton, BB King, Bo Didley, Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Jeff Healey

Tasty licks/fills, great on rythm: Michael Schenker, Tony Carey, Ian Bairnson, Johnny Colla, Richie Sambora, Slash

Session Players: Stef Burns, Dan Huff

This list is just off the top of my head. I know there are others that are amazing.

After recently seein' Morello, I have to say he's amazing! Just to hear him playing isn't enough. You've got to see him too. Freakin' awesome.

Alright here we go. I broke mine down to rythem and lead guitarists.

Rythem Guitar - James Hetfield. The man can play some riffs and everyone knows it.

Lead Guitar/AX Men/Shredders - Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Gary Hoey, Mark Bonilla, Thayall, John Petrucci, Robin Trower, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Kevin May, Eddie Van Halen, Nuno Bettencourt, Randy Rhoads, Santana, Allan Holdsworth, Steve Morse, Richie Blackmore, Rik Emmet, Tommy Shaw, Ted Nugent, Neal Schon

I just coppied you list there Les because I agree with everyone on it except Malmastien. I really dont like the guy, he is arrogant and a lit bitch. Can he play? Yes he can play but I think he is overated.

Yeah, I agree with those. But as I say, Morello and Cantrell have to go in there. And I'm throwin' Mcready in there too for me.

What about bass players? Ben Shepherd is f*ckin' good...and the one from OLP...i'll have to get his name.

Yeah I will throw Cantrell in the mix.

As for Bass Players I really like Jason Newstead but the all time greatest for me is Cliff Burton. That man could play it at totally higher levels than anyone else. Unfortunatly his life passed away so young just when he was making a mark. Hell he did make a mark. He changed the way Heavy Metal Bass was played forever. He set the bar.

There are plenty of other great ones out there I will just have to think of them.

Best is one man who shines out among his peers... Who is talked about 10 years after his prime... Who everyone else is measured against...

Who did things with his weapon that everyone else just looked at and said "Jesus H. Christ!"

Peart was such a man.... Claypool IS Da Man.... Vai does things that I still cant figure out...

you know, I was going to mention Les Claypool and I thought I did. Oops! Yep, I saw an interview with him and Geddy one time and it was a riot. Les was asking about a particular Rush tune (I think it was YYZ) and marvelling at the tone. Geddy then offered to sell it to him! :lol:

One little known fact about Steve Vai is that he was in the Mothers of Invention (Frank Zappa) and while he was with the Mothers, his job was to transcribe and notate Frank's music. Let me tell you, that would be one tough job!

Morello is better than what Hendrix was. They're both in the same way of playin' too - doing everything with the guitar that can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back