Musician Obituaries (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm not a big jazz aficionado but I do like some of it and do like him. He really was a great player. Sad to see him go like so many of the greats lately.............R.I.P.

We lost Tony Allen yesterday.

I grew up in Nigeria and as a young drummer listened to a lot of High Life/JuJu/ Afrobeat music. Allen was one of the most influential percussionists to emerge from the continent which is saying something! His work, particularly with Fela Kuti and Africa '70, is testament to that.

In the words of a title of one of his own compositions, with another African great, Hugh Masekela, "Never (Lagos never gonna be the same)"

Condolences Stona.
I had a guy teach an Afrikan drumbeat one time. Can't play it now, too many years ago, but I got respect for those drummers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, We also lost Jazz legend Lee Konitz on April 15th.
Lee was 92.
I will post a memorial video in the Jazz music section.

Elvis

Condolences Stona.
I had a guy teach an Afrikan drumbeat one time. Can't play it now, too many years ago, but I got respect for those drummers.

They just do it! Every single drummer/percussionist I met in West Africa was most heavily influenced by the great, mostly American, jazz drummers. If you asked them, they would reel of a list of names. Tony Allen always cited Krupa as his first influence, but others would list any number of 'greats' (unsurprisingly Blakey came up a lot!)
When they combined their essentially African sense of rhythm with some of the technical aspects gleaned from listening to men like those I just mentioned you got something special...and fiendishly difficult to play properly.

If you want to hear a groove, just listen to anything Tony Allen did!

Good golly, Miss Molly, Little Richard passes away

1589038951477.png

One of the real greats. Great, genius, words like that are bandied about freely these days, often applied to the distinctly average. In the case of Little Richard they are appropriate. Without him there would be no rock 'n' roll as we know it. I probably would never have had a career.

BB13R4SA.jpg

Wembley 1972.

I spent quite some time in the late 80's and into the '90s working for someone who looked a lot like this, talented no doubt, but derivative too. Little Richard puts a lot of later artists into a true perspective.

Steve Priest passed away yesterday.

maxresdefault.jpg

Steve is the one with the cigarette and shades.

I slightly knew him through a mutual friend and he always seemed like a gentleman to me.

He was a founding member and bass player with The Sweet, a band not widely known outside Europe despite some success in the US, but one at the forefront of the glam-rock scene of the 1970s. They were best known for their single success and as a sort of 'Top of the Pops' band, but they were much better than that. Some of their album tracks are reminiscent of some of the early incarnations of Deep Purple or are even a bit Led Zeppelinesque (listen to a track like 'Cockroach' from the 'Give us a Wink' album).

He joins several other glam-rockers to have moved on, they could form one hell of a band up there!

Steve

Last edited:
Very sorry to see that.
Molly Hatchet is a personal favourite.
We need some kind of "sad" icon in the list of "likes" for occasions like this.
A black day, indeed.

Elvis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back