Mustang crashes into crowd at Reno (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I hope for the best for recoveries and hope all affected by injury loss or trauma suffer the less than expected.

Tis' a great shame and tradgedy, but also a miracle that the whole stand wasn't taken out. Heartfelt hopes and wishes of swift recovery to all survivors, families, Reno effected communties.

P-51 Galloping Ghost crashes into crowd at Reno from SAS1946

Last edited:
Very sad news, my condolences to the victims and their families.

I wonder if they will ban further events - they banned the Red Bull Air races here after a crash. Official reason: 'it is too loud and too dangerous'. Ok, why don't they ban Formula 1 aswell then???

why don't they ban Formula 1 aswell then???

Because F1 has done everything it can to make itself safer,a movement instigated by Jackie Stewart back in the 1960s. The tracks,cars,medical facilities etc would be unrecognisable to a driver from the 50s and 60s.
The last driver to die was Ayrton Senna in 1994. An Australian marshall was tragically killed in 2001 and an Italian marshall a year earlier. Both men were killed by a flying wheel when the tether (introduced in 1998 ) failed. The cars now have a double tether to try to prevent this. I can't even remember when the last death in the crowd was.

I hope the air races continue despite the awful events of Friday but I have my doubts.

Steve

So the question arises in the wake of the crash: are these old warplanes too old to be trusted to perform safely anymore....especially at spectator events? It depresses me to think about it, but I'm equally saddened by the needless loss of an historic aircraft. Is it simply the cost of keeping the older planes alive that we have to lose one from time to time, so millionaires (the ones who can afford it) can get their jollies flying a half-century plus old warbird at the edge of its performance envelope?

Just caught this on Sky News this morning and all I can say is what everyone else has said. Condolences to the families and friends of who were lost, and rest in peace those who were lost. A sad loss as well of such a great warbird.

Andy

Last edited:
Because F1 has done everything it can to make itself safer (...) Steve

The Red Bull Air Races (and I'm sure Reno, Nascar, etc) too. I'm guessing the 'third dimension' (ie, height) is the fulcrum point in their arguments, with no safe-guard against a freak occurence, as with the recent Reno incident.

Will watch developments here with interest.

Switzerland banned all its motorsport racing and closed all its race circuits in the late60's/early 70's after a big crash at one of its tracks, I believe it was a sidecar race and the Fath-URS was invloved.

I hope they don't ban it perce, all the aircraft undergo above accepted levels of maintainance checks and airworthness inspections. But fate isn't always so easly tricked, remember the Titanic - suposedly unsinkable..,
And then there's the problem of aging of metal alloys devoloping crystalinity - particularly the ECD which must be a problem for Planes Of Fame and its Mitsubishi Zero-sen's continued flight worthiness.

Most of the componants are refabricated anew or remade at massive costs in limited batches, giving highly skilled persons.companies jobs, in addition to, or when not making stuff for the current military/commercial aviation, it also means that there is/can/could be new repared or replacement parts for museums and warbird aviation groups too; so we can go and see exhibits in the future as they were, not as scrap.

Coincedently, who makes real 'heavy iron'/unlimeted racing aircraft nowerdays?; except for the uber tiny stunt plane racers like Su26, Cap21, Extra 360 etc...
It was nice to see Rare Bear back up in blue, and the Jet Unlimetd race was fun close - there was even a Vampire/Spidercrab racing in there too, which did quite well once the pylon penalties were handed out.

Last edited:
Heard about this late yesterday. Another sad day for the warbird community. Good thoughts to those involved.... Wonder what happened ? It looks like he just drove it straight into the ground.

Charles

Attachments

• Crash.jpg
    Crash.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
So the question arises in the wake of the crash: are these old warplanes too old to be trusted to perform safely anymore....especially at spectator events? It depresses me to think about it, but I'm equally saddened by the needless loss of an historic aircraft. Is it simply the cost of keeping the older planes alive that we have to lose one from time to time, so millionaires (the ones who can afford it) can get their jollies flying a half-century plus old warbird at the edge of its performance envelope?
The answer to that is yes, the "old warplanes" are meticulously rebuilt, inspected and maintained...and that's just the flying/touring warplanes that are more often owned by groups than individuals (millionaires who get thier jollies...etc).

I would rather ride in a B-17 than a city bus since they have a far better safety record and civil aviation in general is far safer than operating a motor vehicle. There have been far more deaths at soccer matches than the air races (or air shows) and to restrict or ban them for the sake of an unfortunate and tragic mishap is nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected...Jimmy Leeward and the Galloping Ghost will be missed

Cactus, for the record, most of the planes racing in the Gold Unlimiteds at Reno are hardly "original" and contain few if not any original parts. This aircraft was recently totally refurbished after being in storage for 20 years and was highly modified many years ago. Please do some research about these aircraft prior to making such comments....

Last edited:

Safer than the family sedan. If you spend a little time around some of these aircraft, you will see that they are better taken acre of and maintained than when they were in military service. Racing aircraft are highly modified from their original configuration almost to the point where the only thing still original is the data plate.

Millionaires getting their jollies? Not really. Some of them are, but a lot of these old airplanes are kept flying through foundations and museums where knowledgeable volunteers keep them flying with strict safety guidelines.

Do you want to go to a museum and see tombstones, or do you want to see, hear, smell and feel the power? Static aircraft are not much of a draw and many aviation museums would dry up and close if they were grounded.

There are two views of the aircraft in trouble at msnbc in the slide show on the main page.

The first photo is of the aircraft inverted and a double notch is seen in the port elevator where a trim tab is located. It looks to me like the tab has departed the airframe.

In the second photo the aircraft is near vertical and the tail wheel is deployed. However, no sign of the main gear operating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back