My old guitar

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
I've made a photoshoot of every guitar I own. Had to do this one, my AMKA accoustic Archtop made in 1938. I've never been an accoustic player, but since I bought this one I've not played electric at home much.
The dimensions are not standard, the builder was clearly experimenting. This guitar was one of the first build by Dutch luthier Veneman in The Hague. He usually made violins, but was persuaded by his son to build guitars, which he did from 1938 to the early '50ies. I love this guitar. It's all wrong, the fretboard is wide, the neck is warped, the top is split at certain places, but it sounds amazing. Very punchy and very distinct.

I make these photographs usually with our wooden floor as background, but this made it a bit difficult as the contrast between the guitar and the floor was not huge.

20230407_0179.jpg

20230407_0175.jpg
20230407_0172.jpg

20230407_0174a.jpg

Last edited:
I've made a photoshoot of every guitar I own. Had to do this one, my AMKA accoustic Archtop made in 1938. I've never been an accoustic player, but since I bought this one I've not played electric at home much.
The dimensions are not standard, the builder was clearly experimenting. This guitar was one of the first build by Dutch luthier Veneman in The Hague. He usually made violins, but was persuaded by his sun to build guitars, which he did from 1938 to the early '50ies. I love this guitar. It's all wrong, the fretboard is wide, the neck is warped, the top is split at certain places, but it sounds amazing. Very punchy and very distinct.

I make these photographs usually with our wooden floor as background, but this made it a bit difficult as the contrast between the guitar and the floor was not huge.

View attachment 716825

View attachment 716827View attachment 716828
View attachment 716826

I'm not sure how playable it is, but one thing I love about wide fingerboards is that they allow for fine fingerpicking. Given this guitar's age and design, and the music popular at the time, the fingerboard might be wider to allow for fingerstyle-jazz comping?

Handsome box all the same, love the maple top.

I've been meaning to do a family shoot of my four but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how playable it is, but one thing I love about wide fingerboards is that they allow for fine fingerpicking. Given this guitar's age and design, and the music popular at the time, the fingerboard might be wider to allow for fingerstyle-jazz comping?

Handsome box all the same, love the maple top.

I've been meaning to do a family shoot of my four but haven't gotten around to it yet.
It's playable enough. The neck has had a bad reset at some point, which makes the neck slightly off and the action a tad high in the upper registers. Also there is a slight twist in the neck, which I can see clearly, but weirdly enough doesn't seem to harm the playability too much.
The neck makes it great for finger picking indeed, probably the reason why I love to play it.
Would love to see your axes as well.

To follow up:

The foursome here. L-R, Yamaha 6-string and 12-string acoustics, Ibanez AS-93, and Squier Strat:

urSeGqP.jpg

Same guitars, different shot:

n8vs71g.jpg

The Ibanez is my #1:

sGtv2XP.jpg

Nothing vintage in my house, unfortunately. The electrics get played through this Peavey VK112. It was originally a 1x12, but I built new, lightweight cabs, and separated the amp and speaker, to ease the strain of load-in/load-out.

gd5oCcJ.jpg

I've got a VHT Special 6 I sometimes use as well, but it needs a new output transformer, so it's sidelined for now. I'm in the market for an Egnater Tweaker 40 right now.

A couple of mine:

A 1940 Martin 000-18 which I've had forever.
Martin_00018_1940.jpg

A Martin 000-28 purchased new shortly after covid shut things down. Truely a lovely sounding guitar.
Martin_000-28-b.jpg

My principal instrument - a Germain violin based on a Guarneri. Worth more than the guitars by a whole lot.
violin_del_gesu.jpg

Love the 000-18. Not that the test is too shabby though ;)

Thumpalumpacus Thumpalumpacus , nice collection. A friend of mine had a similar Ibanez. Great guitar.

The rest what I have is a Les Paul Gem P90, a Telecaster, a BM1 and my other accoustic guitar, a Washburn D97 which I'm actually trying to sell. I've had it since forever but hardly played it the last 10 years. The AMKA taught me that I actually do like acoustic guitars, but not necessarily that one. Although the Washburn is probably technically the better guitar, the AMKA is way more defined in tone. I think I don't really like the big bottom end sound on the D97. Maybe if I ever go for another flattop accoustic, I will probably go for an 00-style body, so quite a bit smaller and I think I would like it to have the wider neck, like the AMKA.

Last edited:
Love the 000-18. Not that the test is too shabby though ;)

Thumpalumpacus Thumpalumpacus , nice collection. A friend of mine had a similar Ibanez. Great guitar.

The test what I have is a Les Paul Gem P90, a Telecaster, a BM1 and my other accoustic guitar, a Washburn D97 which I'm actually trying to sell. I've had it since forever but hardly played it the last 10 years. The AMKA taught me that I actually do like acoustic guitars, but not necessarily that one. Although the Washburn is probably technically the better guitar, the AMKA is way more defined in tone. I think I don't really like the big bottom end sound on the D97. Maybe if I ever go for another flattop accoustic, I will probably go for an 00-style body, so quite a bit smaller and I think I would like it to have the wider neck, like the AMKA.

I've always liked a good acoustic, and as you might could guess I like Yamahas for quality on a budget. With electrics I've always been a Gibson guy (73 LP DeLuxe was my #1 for 15 years, now prefer SGs), but I love the Ibanez for its versatility -- jazz, blues, heavy rock, it can do most anything..

I'd love a P-90 LP, but momeymoneymoney. What I've got right now does what I like to hear.

As noted above, I love small-body acoustics for fingerpicking. A Taylor -14 style (again, 000-size) is on the radar, precisely for their definition, as well as bloom.

It was for quite some time. I remember vividly the day i met him. Hanging in a store in Den Haag. Gerritse it was. (One of the guys of the golden earring)
Love at first site. Coulnt afford it being a poor student. So i took a extra nightshift for a month working in a can food production line. Terrible noisy work.
Only trouble was i never played before in my life and there was no money for a teacher. But i had him. As you see we became close friends. I keep it just as it is for motivation.
If you really want something it will help working hard. Be it in a job, be it in school or where ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back